A modern classic
dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm

ESquared wrote:
dddrees wrote:
ESquared wrote:I like tracking these kinds of posts, too, because what ends up being uncovered are all the trade-offs and what comes to the surface is what's really important to the buyer. Been there, done that, as have probably the rest of you. Caliber vs. receiver finish vs. wood vs. MIM vs. customer support vs. parts/service vs. ammo availability/pricing. And, now it looks like there are 3-4 rifles in the mix.
This kind of thing leads me to lots of "sleep on it" before deciding. It's when you wake up and are still torn between This and That . . .THEN it gets crazy!
Good luck and keep us posted. As you can tell, I'm absolutely no help in your decision. Just a supportive peanut gallery!
There have been times when to many trade offs end up being something that’s just not worth it to begin with. If that’s the case then that’s fine as well. I just like knowing what those details are before hand.
Absolutely! Due diligence is part of the fun, and I've learned a lot along the way during many firearm purchase decisions like this. Just wish I could be more help on this one!
All is good and thanks.Heck even just a friendly chat about a passion can be fun or even fruitful.Sometimes the best I can offer is to be a devils advocate and point out a few things that should be considered. I’ve found even that can be helpful.

Thanks.

Dan
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm

I've found that the good news here is that it's not all "Henry is the only thing." Lots of different rifle brands owned by lots of the members and they're all pretty objective. RanchRoper is a prime example, especially in this case. Lots of wise people here.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:52 pm

dddrees wrote:...New Original Henry
Dan, I notice in some of your responses they wander back to the New Original Henry. I think maybe your subconscious has somewhat decided for you and you are maybe slow to come to terms with your subconscious :P We're with you on your journey, its interesting. No matter what you decide on, thanks for bringing us along.

Also ammo price for .44-40 is not so bad (55-60cents per round) for a centerfire.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Mags wrote:
dddrees wrote:...New Original Henry
Dan, I notice in some of your responses they wander back to the New Original Henry. I think maybe your subconscious has somewhat decided for you and you are maybe slow to come to terms with your subconscious :P We're with you on your journey, its interesting. No matter what you decide on, thanks for bringing us along.

Also ammo price for .44-40 is not so bad (55-60cents per round) for a centerfire.

Oh really, this is good news. I think I watched a video and someone mentioned it would be about a dollar a round. That certainly makes it better.

Thing is the first time I saw the gun on Hickock45 and Iraq888 videos I went WOW! Now that’s a rifle that’s just fabulous looking. Although there’s no forearm and the magazine tab or whatever has to be avoided it’s still an amazing looking gun and I have a hard time getting it out of my head. Something about that barrel and magazine that was originally one piece and extremely difficult to manufacture. Something that’s just difficult to get elsewhere.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:30 pm

ESquared wrote:I've found that the good news here is that it's not all "Henry is the only thing." Lots of different rifle brands owned by lots of the members and they're all pretty objective. RanchRoper is a prime example, especially in this case. Lots of wise people here.
No matter the forum or brand variety for good reasons that can be justified is a good thing. Many a forum where I have other passions do this as well. I maybe a big Rolex guy but I appreciate others such as Patek as well. Sorry but I’m a watch guy to a degree also. Bottom line no matter how good the brand there are a number of great brands who do various things just as well if not better. It’s an appreciation of guns or watches not just for a specific brand.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Well, after going back through this thread and watching most of the YouTube vid (that guy's a bit hard to take, IMO), I'm glad it's your dilemma and not mine. I'm a sucker for Color Case Hardened, but that's only the tip of this iceberg!

Good luck and keep us posted!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 pm

that guy's a bit hard to take, IMO
Boring and limited vocabulary - I had to FF through it.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Ya I was happy when it went into fast forward...
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 pm

I skipped most of the drawn out monologue up front. Watched pieces of the disassembly until he removed the bolt pin. At that point I'd had enough monotone monologue.

Man though did I love the shine on the brass!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 am

ESquared wrote:Well, after going back through this thread and watching most of the YouTube vid (that guy's a bit hard to take, IMO), I'm glad it's your dilemma and not mine. I'm a sucker for Color Case Hardened, but that's only the tip of this iceberg!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Details appeal to me and he sounded fairly knowledgeable. I wasn’t expecting him to be entertaining. Besides I’m generally interested in the rifle I’m not looking to hire him as the next Reality TV Star.
0 x