Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Unexpected Range Day (or hour)

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Unexpected Range Day (or hour)

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am
Hey, Gene, folks in Europe have been hunting rabbits successfully with much less power/velocity for generations. In England, for instance, you have to get a firearms certificate to own an airgun over 12 fpe, so a lot of hunting is done with air rifles with less power. In 177 with a typical hunting weight pellet of 8.4 gr, you'll approach that 12 fpe at about 800 fps. A lot of rabbit hunting over there is done with only 6-8 fpe by using head shots and getting close.

Back in the day when I was hunting squirrels and rabbits with my old Sheridan pump, I just used 6 pumps for about 10 fpe and did great as long as I kept distances at 20-25 yards or less and took head shots or rib cage shots.

With piston guns especially, more velocity requires more power and more power means much more recoil and the more the recoil, the harder to shoot with accuracy.

One of the reasons PCP air rifles are so popular for hunting in the airgun world is much more power with no recoil and PCPs are generally quieter to boot. My budget PCP Benjamin Discovery in 22 cal, for instance, will give me an amazing 25 fpe with no recoil and with its add on shroud is quieter than any spring piston gun, even my little 8 fpe HW springer.

Not trying to be a know it all, here. Just thought you might enjoy some perspective.
I think my problem was the pellet I was using was too heavy and was more of a round nose than being pointed. The pellets I was using in the past was lighter and I think a lot faster.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Unexpected Range Day (or hour)

Post by North Star » Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 am

RanchRoper wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:21 pm
I left my air rifle with my air guitar, now I don't see it anywhere.... :?
In other words they are "Gone With the Wind"?
0 x