Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is this normal.. 8 rounds in .44 Mag Carbine?

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Is this normal.. 8 rounds in .44 Mag Carbine?

Post by MarkB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm

I just picked up my new X Model .357 and......8 rounds in the mag tube plus one in the chamber for 9 total. Sweet.
1 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MarkB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am

Also 9 rounds of .38 Special Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P in the tube plus one in the chamber for a total of 10 rounds.
0 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

Iron Horse Cowboy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Iron Horse Cowboy » Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 am
While working on a speed loader tube for my .44 Mag BBS carbine I noticed the mag tube will now hold 8 .44 Mag rounds which are 1.600 in length.
Specs say 7 round capacity. Thought I had a senior moment and couldn't count to 7 but double checked!
Cycles fine so now with one in chamber it will be a 9 shooter???
Maybe this is normal.
Pictured is mag tube with round number 8 .
Nope, you did not have a senior moment. After reading your post, I just had to check my BB .44 mag carbine. I took all rounds out and then I put 8 rounds in the tube with one in the chamber. Definitely 8+1, and those rounds are Hornady LeverEvolution FTX. :D
0 x

Iron Horse Cowboy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Iron Horse Cowboy » Fri May 15, 2020 6:03 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm
Question: Has anyone experienced any malfunctions by loading a full 8+1 in the BBSC (.357, .41mag, .45lc, or .44mag) ?
I have had no malfunctions doing this. :D
2 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm

My 45-70 X says 4 but 5 fit in the tube and 1 in the top for 5+1.
0 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

sullytyme
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by sullytyme » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:19 pm

brettitt41 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm
My 45-70 X says 4 but 5 fit in the tube and 1 in the top for 5+1.
Yeah, that took me a minute the first time I shot mine. I was just poppin them in the tube and then counting as I shot. I'd count 4, check for empty and see another one ready to chamber.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm

I tend to go with the recommended loadings from Henry. Remember those outer magazine tubes tearing at the lock pin notch?
When the larger caliber rifles recoil the loaded rounds are driven toward the muzzle by the rearward movement. The more rounds loaded, the greater the force toward the muzzle. When it's full, the magazine spring is also applying its maximum pressure on that same area.
Combine a full load with a compressed spring then fire a heavy round, it is a hammer blow to that metal notch and pin.
Anyway, I generally load 5 in my .44 BBS carbine because that's the number I shoot for a group anyway.
Why beat the gun for no reason?
If I wanted high capacity I would get an AR and a 30 round mag. Just sayin'.
Edit: it also occurred to me that Henry left that extra inch of capacity deliberately, to let the magazine spring soften the blow to the pin when that first round gets fired. By stuffing it plum full, you have taken up all the clearance.
Last edited by Conax on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Conax wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm
I tend to go with the recommended loadings from Henry. Remember those outer magazine tubes tearing at the lock pin notch?
When the larger caliber rifles recoil the loaded rounds are driven toward the muzzle by the rearward movement. The more rounds loaded, the greater the force toward the muzzle. When it's full, the magazine spring is also applying its maximum pressure on that same area.
Combine a full load with a compressed spring then fire a heavy round, it is a hammer blow to that metal notch and pin.
Anyway, I generally load 5 in my .44 BBS carbine because that's the number I shoot for a group anyway.
Conan, that's what I do at the range also. 5 in the tube or sometimes one at a time. I don't hunt any longer, so, no need for a full tube. Like you mentioned; no reason to beat up the rifle. Good call.
1 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:40 pm
Conax wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm
Conan, that's what I do at the range also. 5 in the tube or sometimes one at a time. I don't hunt any longer, so, no need for a full tube. Like you mentioned; no reason to beat up the rifle. Good call.
There's a vibe out there that it isn't about the individual rounds- it's about throwing as much lead as quickly as possible. If you watch most of those type of videos they are shooting at large plates only 20 yards away or even less. They should be shooting pistols from there.
Everyone wants to waste expensive ammo. I never understood it.
Maybe they are practicing for being over run by a herd of feral boars and fighting for their lives.. :mrgreen:
1 x

wjv16
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wjv16 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Cant speak to the 44 mag, but my new 357 mag will take 8+1.
The last round has to be loaded through the end of the tube, not the side slot.
This was with AE 158 grain soft nose rounds.

Also tried some 180 grain HSM "Bear" loads. Same results.

Both the 158s and the 180s cycled without problems with 8 in the tube.
0 x