Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another one on the table

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Another one on the table

Post by roddy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks. The 'Special Edition Red' stocks came with plain stippled checkering like the one above, or with a simple design...

The Canadian got maple Leaves,
CZ-455-Canadian-Maple-leaf-detail-400x400.jpg

The Australian Bushman got the Southern Cross (Crux) constellation,
CZ 455 Australian Bushman SE.jpg

and the Saint Patrick's Special got a Shamrock, and a very green hue...
CZ 455 Saint Patrick's SE.jpg

The green ones are scarce as hen's teeth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:09 pm

roddy wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:21 pm

The green ones are scarce as hen's teeth
Not surprised!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:07 am

Next one up (actually, it's already finished) is a cheap-as-chips Savage 93G in .22 WMR. 93 is the model designation Savage gives to their basic magnum rimfire bolt-action rifles (pretty much a Mark II). These rifles are known to punch well above their price point accuracy-wise. The G denotes a 'hardwood' stock. Savage (at least on the rimfires) does not make their own wood nor laminate stocks. They are contracted out to Boyd's Gunstocks.

Now, I would expect a 'cheap' rifle with a wood stock to have one made of Beechwood, but to the best of my knowledge, Boyd's only works with walnut, laminates, and maple. With that in mind, and a recent conversation with my father in-law about him never having a .22 Magnum, I didn't hesitate to pick one up when a local shop had some on 'clearance' this past spring.

Just for reference, here is a 'stock' (giggle) photo of the rifle in question, as I didn't take one before I started...
93G.jpg

They do their best to hide what's really there and make them all look the same, using a shot (or 12) of 'universal brown'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:01 am

roddy wrote:

very different and scarce indeed .... other than standard finishes, over time, I remember seeing blond wood stocks on rifles and a couple with a reddish tone .... don't ever recall seeing a real rifle with a green wood stock
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 am

JEBar wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:01 am
roddy wrote:

very different and scarce indeed .... other than standard finishes, over time, I remember seeing blond wood stocks on rifles and a couple with a reddish tone .... don't ever recall seeing a real rifle with a green wood stock
Speaking of blonde, it turns out that the Savage 'G' stocks are maple. When I got that 93G home and pulled the action out of the stock, sure enough, there was a 'Boyds' stamp, and a sticker with a barcode and the word 'maple'.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am

This stock was a bear to strip. The top finish was easy enough, but the stain was another story, and required a fair bit of careful sanding to remove. This wasn't helped by the fact that maple is almost white in color. No amount of scrubbing with nylon brushes and assorted strippers was able to get all of the stain out of the checkering, so I 'blackened' those areas, and continued with the sanding/stripping/prep work.

I didn't take many pics on my way through this one, but here are a couple after most of the sanding was done and the stain was added to the checkering...
93 G ''hardwood''.jpg
93 G 'hardwood'.jpg

The rifle is up at the farm...I'll give Ang a call and see if she can pry it out of her Dad's hands when she's done tending the horses. I'll try to get some pics of that one today.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 am

Wow, that did turn out light. Will be interested to see how it looks after staining. Should be a beautiful contrast against the black checkering.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:05 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 am
Wow, that did turn out light. Will be interested to see how it looks after staining. Should be a beautiful contrast against the black checkering.
I didn't use much in the way of stain...just enough to highlight the figure a bit, and make it a little darker than linseed oil alone. IIRC, it was 1 part Minwax 'Provincial' to 10 parts BLO. If I could go back in time, I would use the 'Ebony' stain, and mix it 1:7 or so...

The figure in this wood is 'busy' and changes so much depending on angle and light, it's going to be hard to get a decent picture.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:01 pm

I have used the Minwax Provincial before on other projects. It has a nice tone, even diluted I would think.
Looking forward to seeing it.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:54 pm

The weather didn't clear as forecast, so I had to try some indoor pics...that was an exercise in frustration. Most were a blurry mess, but here are a few that were close to acceptable...
93G 1.jpg
93G 2.jpg
93G 3.jpg

...and a couple more on the next page...It's hard to get a picture that really shows the figure/'tiger-striping'.
Last edited by roddy on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x