Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BB Steel 357 rifle & Skinner Sights - need help / suggestions / input

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

BB Steel 357 rifle & Skinner Sights - need help / suggestions / input

Post by Michiganshooter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 pm

I need some advice on Skinner sights. I just purachased a Henry BB Steel 357 rifle (20”) – H012M.

My eyes are not the best – have had extensive laser treatment in both due to diabetic retinopathy – right eye is dominant but due to loss of most of the central vision, I now shoot rifles left handed and my left eye is not my “dominant” eye – not by choice – but I still have decent central vision in that eye.

I’m looking at putting a blued Skinner Big Boy Express peep sight on the receiver. After looking at their site, I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer who has put one on a steel BB.

First question is in regards to the front sight. Skinner’s site states that about 50% of the stock steel front sights work O.K. with their peep (as opposed to having to change out the front sight). They say that their understanding is that most come with a .570 front sight – which a quick check with dial calipers on my rifle seems to be the case. I’m curious as to those who have put the Skinner on their steel rifle, has the front sight worked O.K. with the Skinner or have you had to change it out?

In sighting with the stock sights, I probably could get by with the but with some frustration along the way as I seem to have trouble getting a good picture with the front sight in the correct position on the rear sight – I’m thinking a peep would be much easier as far as a sight picture goes.

Second question is in regards to the aperture. They state that the stock aperture that is supplied with the Express is .096. I will, of course, be removing the stock rear sight and thought I would get one of their dovetail slot blanks which also acts as a aperture holder for a spare. I’m thinking that I might order a .155 aperture, their largest, to have as well that I could always switch out with the .096 that comes with the sight. My eyesight is not that of a 18 year old and I don’t plan on being able to shoot the eyes out of flies at 50 paces – just kill cans and the like out ot 50 yards.

I’m curious if anyone uses an aperture of .155 and how it works for you. On peep sights I have used before – I had a receiver peep on a Marlin 336SC 30-30 that I don’t remember the aperture size on, but at 50 – 75 yards I could do pretty well with centering the front sight in the aperture circle and holding the front sight at 6 o’clock. My thinking is that the larger size (.155) aperture size may give me a better sight picture/view with my poorer eyesight/old eyes as far as seeing the target, front sight and eventually learning the sight picture to close my groups up tighter?

Yea . . . I could help the eyesight issue even more if I just mounted a scope but I really don’t want to do that . . . later on after a few more years I may need to but for now, I really don’t want to.

So . . . . I guess my questions are will the stock front sight work OK with the Skinner express and will a large aperture work OK for general target shooting / plinking with the eye issues I have? Skinner does offer the whole set of apertures but I know that if I bought it, I’d probably only end up using one size 99% of the time.

Thanks for suggestions, experiences and help – greatly appreciated.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: BB Steel 357 rifle & Skinner Sights - need help / suggestions / input

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:07 pm

My experience is in line with the Skinner website when it comes to front sight compatibility, meaning "maybe it will work, maybe it won't." The good news is that if it doesn't (and you're sure), you can call Henry and tell them your issue and they'll send you a suitable front sight. They have a close relationship with Skinner and seem to be used to doing such things.

So, I'd give it a go with your measured 0.570" front sight and see what happens.

As to aperture, I have no experience with anything larger than the standard, and some mixed results with smaller ones. Your logic sounds right, though, so having a larger one to try would seem like the thing to do.

If you have more questions, I can also vouch for Skinner's advice, which usually comes from "Rob" (I think that's his name), who will likely answer the phone if you call. Very helpful, in my experience.

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted on how it all turns out!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I recently put the Skinner Express rear peep sight on my BB Steel Carbine 357. I ordered and installed the .67 height front blade sight. I haven’t had to file down the front sight and I’ve got it sighted in at 50 yards. I’m not sure if the extra barrel length would make a difference in the height required for the front sight on your rifle. I currently have about 20/30 vision and the .096 aperture seems a little large to me. I was thinking about ordering a smaller aperture. Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide. I will say I’m very impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the Skinner Express.
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:41 pm

You can always remove the .096" peep insert and use the stem as a ghost ring (.200") on a Skinner. You may also want to consider a Lyman Globe on the front - makes for a better sight picture than the standard brass bead (my opinion)...
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Michiganshooter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Thank you all for the info - greatly appreciated! I forgot about just removing the aperture and using the hole for a ghost ring. One fo the issues is that i have had extensive laser treatments in both eyes a long time ago to treat the diabetic retinopathy - but it was necessary to control the "bleeders" and it did serve to preserve the sight I do have. Every place that there was a laser "shot", it creates a pinpoint "blind spot" . . . so . . . when sighting, if I happen to hit one of those blind spots, I have to adjust my eye to avoid it. I seemed to be able to use the peep on the Marlin I had and adjust to it so I'm hoping the Skinner will be fine. It may be a case of just trying the standard aperture they supply with the sight and then go fro there. Removing the aperture as suggested would let me know how a larger opening would work and then I could order what I think would work.

tractortad - IIRC, you posted a photo of your set up with globe front sight. I have one on a H E A under hammer rifle (muzzleloader) and I will get that rifle out and see how I do when sighing with the glove - I restored the rofle and haven't shot it in a long time - like many years - IIRC, it has just a single rectangular post insert. Can you expand a little on your set-up? Is it on a 20" barrel and how did you detrain which globe sight (height wise) to go with? What insert do you use in the globe?

Esquared - sage advice on the front sight - I'll follow that route first and see how it works - I didn't now that Henry had different front sight heights available - I know they provide good customer service and I would have no problem paying for a new sight if needed and I can see the bead OK as far as aiming. If not, I may consider a globe.

Thanks for the help - greatly appreciated and when I get it all figured out, I'll make a post and let you know. I'm sure there are others out there with vision problems as well and sharing of what works may help another. Thanks!
0 x

flat_topp
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by flat_topp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I put a Skinner peep sight and Skinner front sight on my BBS 357 mag. You may find it interesting/helpful to read my story documented in this thread:

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4893

I have only used the stock aperture that came with the peep sight, so I don't have any personal experience with other diameters.
0 x
H012M Big Boy Steel .357Mag/.38Spl
NRA, ISRA

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Michiganshooter wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 pm
tractortad - IIRC, you posted a photo of your set up with globe front sight. I have one on a H E A under hammer rifle (muzzleloader) and I will get that rifle out and see how I do when sighing with the glove - I restored the rofle and haven't shot it in a long time - like many years - IIRC, it has just a single rectangular post insert. Can you expand a little on your set-up? Is it on a 20" barrel and how did you detrain which globe sight (height wise) to go with? What insert do you use in the globe?
We have a Skinner Express/Lyman Globe on a brass BigBoy 357Mag and a Skinner Low-Pro/Lyman Globe on a CCH 357Mag BigBoy Carbine and steel 44Mag BigBoy Carbine.
Henry BigBoy 357Mag.JPG
Henry BigBoy 357Mag.JPG (222.69 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Henry BigBoy 44Mag Carbine.JPG
Henry BigBoy 44Mag Carbine.JPG (219.5 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
The Globe sight on the BBB357 is a .495" Lyman 17A. The Globe sight on the Carbine is a .404" Lyman 17A. Lyman 17A Globes come in heights of .404", 495". and .584". My guess is that you would need the .495" version on a BBS357mag with a Skinner Express, but the failsafe method to find out is to mount the Skinner rear sight and then shoot the rifle to find out how it sights in with the stock sights. From there you can calculate what height front sight you will need to work with the Skinner - you want to put a front sight on that ideally will work with the Skinner's stem a couple of turns off the bottom position.

We use Lee Shaver inserts in our Globes - they give a much "finer" picture than the inserts that come with the Globes from Lyman. I personally like the cross-hair inserts that Lee Shaver makes.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

I’ve got the Express and Skinner’s front Patridge on my .357 BBSC. The front blade is 100% better than the stock Henry sight when used with the peep. It’s a much crisper sight picture. I’d order both front and rear together.
Attachments
BF62D979-4C44-459C-8D08-054ADD99596F.jpeg
BF62D979-4C44-459C-8D08-054ADD99596F.jpeg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
3A4E8AE4-0C8F-4069-BE9B-37748C005CE6.jpeg
3A4E8AE4-0C8F-4069-BE9B-37748C005CE6.jpeg (123.83 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
2808F443-EDDC-4EC3-AC23-2B9E5724CE6A.jpeg
2808F443-EDDC-4EC3-AC23-2B9E5724CE6A.jpeg (133.19 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 am

Some basic points on using a peep sight may help.

- Do not attempt to center the front sight in the hole in the peep sight. Just look though the peep, forget it, and concentrate 100% on the front sight. Your eye automatically seeks the brightest point of light coming though the hole in the peep and that is the center. The idea of a peep sight is to take the rear sight out of the sight picture. Consciously trying to center the front sight in the peep aperture (hole) defeats the purpose.

-Aperture size (hole size) needed changes with lighting conditions. A peep can sharpen up your sight picture IF the hole size is small enough for given lighting conditions, but going too small, as in reducing visibility of the front sight, will result in poor accuracy. Most competition shooters use an adjustable aperture to fine tune aperture size for given lighting conditions and target visibility. Going with an aperture opening that is larger than needed for light conditions will not give you the maximum potential accuracy the peep is capable of producing, but it is better than going too small and it is certainly good enough for field work, plus being more comfy to use. For woods hunting, especially, most hunters go with an overly large aperture size for the sake of proper sight visibility and quick sight acquisition. In other words, better too large than too small when it comes to aperture size.

I find that the .096" Skinner aperture size is a good all around aperture to use for shooting under a wide variety of conditions. Usually takes a bright sunny day for me to get away with using the .40". Back in our seep dark woods, there are days when going with the .125" size or even going ghost is a must to be able to use a peep sight.

Hope this helps.
1 x

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Michiganshooter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you to everybody! Have read and re=read the posts and learned a lot. In 55+ years of shooting, I very rarely used a peep sight.

I ordered the red sight tonight and decided to wait on any additional apertures until I can try the .096 that it comes with - I think it will be OK for my eyesight. I do't hunt anymore so most of my shooting will be in fairly decent lighting - especially in AZ where the sun is out 99% - here in Michigan in the summer, even on cloudy days I would think the lighting would be enough - we'll see. Once I know, I can always order a larger aperture and have it to switch out if necessary. I just ordered a plain dovetail blank to make the dovetail look finished when I take the rear sight off - if the stock aperture works OK there's no need to carry a spare and spend the extra money on the dovetail blank they sell that you can keep an aperture on - just one more thing to "snag" IMHO. I did order a thumbscrew to replace the hex head lock screw on the elevation of the rear sight -I'm thinking it might be easier to have one on it that have to carry the hex key if I end up changing the elevation for different load/lighter cast bullet.

I will leave the stock front sight on it and give that a try after I have the Sinner on to see how the height works out with the Skinner. I'm not real fond of the stock brass bead front sight - not being critical but it is not the best for my eyesight. I remembered that I do have a Lyman globe kicking around somewhere in my accumulation of parts/pieces and I'll hunt that up and check if the height happens to be what I need. My option is either a globe or go with a partridge front sight - if I go that route I'll order one from Skinner - set the elevation at midpoint on the peep and sight in and adjust height of the front sight with a file for 50 yards.

I'll put the Skinner on and leave the front sight alone until I can play with my loads and see what I need to do with them. This rifle will be fed a steady diet of my cast and I'm planning on using a 158 gr RNFP. If I can get a load developed that I'm satisfied with, I'll stick with it.

I really do appreciate the input and the "education" on peep sight usage, etc. It's been extremely helpful and I'll be sure to let everyone know how I coe out on it. Thanks to all - I'm enjoying this site so much!
0 x