JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Copper Fouling

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:33 pm
now I find myself wondering what, if any, influence new fouling will have
over the weekend I took our 300 out and fired a few rounds .... bore sighted at 25 yard she only required 3 rounds to bring the point of impact to where we wanted it .... at 50 yards she required a minor adjustment and grouped well .... at 100 yards she grouped OK but her impact point was further off than we anticipated ....we were just starting to make the necessary adjustments when a thunderstorm moved in so that remains to be taken care of .... the bullets we were firing were loaded in the early 80's .... while the bullets performed well, some of the casings were really tough to get out of the chamber .... apparently they swelled sufficiently to where it was really tough to work the bolt and remove them .... no clue what was going on
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:22 am

JEBar, just an idea. I had the same thing happen with a 7mm RM I had. Three rounds like you described. I took the rest of the box[17], put each round in my press and with seater die, JUST broke the tension by seating a TINY amount. I mean just enough to where you feel it . Not much at all. This worked for me. No issues.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

interesting .... observation appreciated, gives me something to ponder a bit
0 x