Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001TV 17HMR Frontier

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: H001TV 17HMR Frontier

Post by Mgderf » Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 am

I have a Frontier in .22wmr and it's exactly what you would expect from a Henry rifle.
Smooth, accurate, well balanced, and just a joy to shoot.
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Mon May 13, 2019 7:59 pm

I was able to get the 17HMR out shooting yesterday. Roughly adjusted the sights, nothing super accurate yet, mostly just shooting it and having some fun. It shoots VERY nice. I put 100 rounds of Hornady 17gr rounds through it. At around 80 or so, the action started to get a little rough. Kinda like some gunk was getting around the bolt. So later tonight, I am going to tear it down when I clean it and see whats up.

Has anyone experienced this in any of this style rifle? Maybe its from manufacturing or something? Dirty firing ammo? I don't know, Hopefully I figure it out tonight

OH, and another thing that happened. The small screw that holds the rear sight in place in the dovetail chipped. It still works, but the surface of half of it chipped off. Good reason to have been wearing safety glasses while shooting and adjusting. Whoooda thunk it, while turning a screw safety glasses would have come in handy!
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Great to hear you got it out.
Very fun rifles for sure.
Interesting about the action getting rough. Haven't had that happen in either of my Fronties. I do like Honady hmr ammo in general.
Tell us what find out.
The screw thing is bad. Is it paint or metal?
Tim
0 x
Pax at Justitia

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Re: H001TV 17HMR Frontier — Pudsky

Post by henry22 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Pudsky, I own the 22 mag version - same rifle as your .17 HMR, identical actually in every way, excluding the port in the magazine tube, and the barrel. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

I'd tear the rifle down and remove the hammer, safety bar, lever, carrier, carrier lever, and just clean the thing inside and out. When I first got my 22 magnum, it felt like things were grinding a little when I'd work the lever. Sure enough, when I did a complete disassembly, I found metal filings and shavings from the machining process.

Go to Walmart, and buy a bag of women's TRIM branded mascara wands:
https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Enla ... 221840.jpg They're great for poking into the action, carrier body, in between tiny places, to push out debris.

Then learn to dis-assembly your 17 from the link below. Once you do it, clean out all the shavings, and lube the pins before you tap them back in, your rifle will be so slick it'll blow your mind.
https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... 22-magnum/

Nice rifle dude, now I want one in .17 HMR too!
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Great tip the mascara wands H22!
Thanks
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: H001TV 17HMR Frontier — Pudsky

Post by Pudsky » Fri May 17, 2019 11:00 pm

henry22 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:50 pm
Pudsky, I own the 22 mag version - same rifle as your .17 HMR, identical actually in every way, excluding the port in the magazine tube, and the barrel. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

I'd tear the rifle down and remove the hammer, safety bar, lever, carrier, carrier lever, and just clean the thing inside and out. When I first got my 22 magnum, it felt like things were grinding a little when I'd work the lever. Sure enough, when I did a complete disassembly, I found metal filings and shavings from the machining process.

Go to Walmart, and buy a bag of women's TRIM branded mascara wands:
https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Enla ... 221840.jpg They're great for poking into the action, carrier body, in between tiny places, to push out debris.

Then learn to dis-assembly your 17 from the link below. Once you do it, clean out all the shavings, and lube the pins before you tap them back in, your rifle will be so slick it'll blow your mind.
https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... 22-magnum/

Nice rifle dude, now I want one in .17 HMR too!
Great tips, Thanks! I did tear down the rifle tonight. I am going to put a large loop lever on this thing. I am leaving the parts in nice piles. When I reassemble, I will clean and lube it all. I didn't notice any obvious dirt and shavings, but when I really get into everything, I am sure I will. The eyelash brushes are a great idea, I will pick some up tomorrow.

So far, the 100 rounds I put through this 17HMR were fun!
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm

I'm so envious of that 17. I really wanted a 22 magnum, it was the first rifle I ever bought - EVER. I was late getting my PAL in Ontario, it's known as a

Purchase & Acquisition License, which basically says you can purchase, own, shoot and transport a NON-RESTRICTED firearm, which essentially means a long gun or rifle, excluding AR platform rifles.

Long story short, I probably never should have bought the 22 magnum. It's amazing, fun as hell, but the ammo isn't cheap, and for similarly and even less expensive ammo, you can have the .17 HMR which outperforms 22 WMR any day of the week. In hindsight, I would have bought the 17. I love the higher cheek comb, and with a good scope, you can literally shoot a hole in a dime at 100 yards - if you do your part.

Have fun with the re-assembly. Watch that video, the main/hammer spring can be a PITA to get into place. Put a small dab of grease or even Vaseline on the BALL end of the hammer guide rod when you line up the other end into that hole in the rear of the tang. It'll help glide things into place.

They're actually kind of fun to take apart and re-assemble. Not many parts if you think about it:
https://pictures.gunauction.com/5306174 ... %20(2).jpg

The mascara wand brush is threaded onto a thin metal spindle. If you're pinching the mascara brush end with your left finger and thumb - and holding it sideways, with the brush tip pointed to your left, you can twist the plastic handle towards you a little, it'll snug up the brush, twist the handle away from you, and the handle will un-thread. Just make sure the handle is snugged up enough. They're so handy, I love them.

Enjoy.
1 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Sun May 19, 2019 12:03 am

I did attempt reassembly today. I cleaned it all up like you suggested henry22. Got quite a bit more crap off the parts than I expected from only 100 rimfire rounds fired. While I was putting it back together, I was a little rougher than I should have been with the lever and broke the carrier lifter lever. Oops. Reminder to self: "Dont cycle the lever until all parts are alligned". So now I will have to wait until I get that part from Henry to finish putting this rifle back together.

henry22: The 17HMR I have is the Frontier 20", not the Varment Express, so I don't have the higher cheek comb. The only reason I got the Frontier, is for the octagon barrel. Man I like the look of that!
1 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:21 pm

That's still cool. I have the 22LR frontier with the octagon barrel for the same reason. Dude, I'm bummed about your carrier lever, that sucks. I could have always mailed you mine, I have an extra I think.

That video the guy does on the 22 mag is the same process for your .17. If you stick a punch in the hole like he does, once things are all aligned, it's easier. But that part of the assembly is a huge PITA! Turning the rifle over, pin halfway in, but not too far, rotate again, etc.

The 22LR models are much simpler, the lever slides over a stud that's part of the inside of the receiver. Good luck amigo.
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

henry22 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:21 pm
That's still cool. I have the 22LR frontier with the octagon barrel for the same reason. Dude, I'm bummed about your carrier lever, that sucks. I could have always mailed you mine, I have an extra I think.

That video the guy does on the 22 mag is the same process for your .17. If you stick a punch in the hole like he does, once things are all aligned, it's easier. But that part of the assembly is a huge PITA! Turning the rifle over, pin halfway in, but not too far, rotate again, etc.

The 22LR models are much simpler, the lever slides over a stud that's part of the inside of the receiver. Good luck amigo.
I did get the carrier lever ordered from Henry on Monday morning, should have it Wed. or Thursday. HRA Customer service is 2nd to none! The phone call took about 4 minutes. I'll defiantly be a little gentler when I get the part. Live and learn.
1 x