Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Project For Miss T

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Project For Miss T

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks guys...
It's hard to stand at the saws, so the project will progress slowly, and I always make changes as I go...
... But as long as the Boss grins at the end... I'm golden.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 am

Worked in the shop for a couple hours yesterday, refining the end panels preparing them for glue up. First step was to joint the ends.
I hooked up the Jointer to the dust collector and carefully ran the panels across the jointer to remove any inperfections. This would result in a gap free joint.

06 jointing.jpg
06 jointing.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

Test fitting of both panels gave a nice result.
(sorry, this pic is vertical in the preview and in my file)

07 gaps gone.jpg
07 gaps gone.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

Once I was sure they fit properly, I moved them aside and covered the benchtop with wax paper, and applied glue to the proper edges. I then applied pressure to the sides of the panel, then pressure was applied with cauls to hold the panel flat on the bench to prevent bowing. The less error in the glue up, the less that has to be adjusted later. :D

08 glue ups.jpg
08 glue ups.jpg (169.37 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

The second panel was glued up in the same manner on the opposite end of the bench.
:)
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

When I went out this morning and released the panels, I found that one of the four individual plates in one of the panels had creeped. :twisted: This threw off the entire effect on that panel. The glue up was very good. :roll: I lined up the joint with the edge of the workbench and clamped it solidly in place, mentally crossed my fingers, (and toes), held my tongue just so...

And... Slowly applied pressure. More... More... Then... Craaack. The panel split cleanly on the joint line. I ran the two glued edges across the jointer twicd to remove the old glue residue, then reapplied a coating of glue to one edge. Back one the bench and carefully aligned, pressure applied, cauls and clamps in place. Now we wait.

I spent the next hour cutting the blanks that will form the side rails.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm

whew! :P
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am
When I went out this morning and released the panels, I found that one of the four individual plates in one of the panels had creeped. :twisted: This threw off the entire effect on that panel. The glue up was very good. :roll: I lined up the joint with the edge of the workbench and clamped it solidly in place, mentally crossed my fingers, (and toes), held my tongue just so...

And... Slowly applied pressure. More... More... Then... Craaack. The panel split cleanly on the joint line. I ran the two glued edges across the jointer twicd to remove the old glue residue, then reapplied a coating of glue to one edge. Back one the bench and carefully aligned, pressure applied, cauls and clamps in place. Now we wait.

I spent the next hour cutting the blanks that will form the side rails.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Back out for an afternoon session. Here is a peek at the roughed out side rails and support rails awaiting attention.

09 side rails and support rails.jpg
09 side rails and support rails.jpg (147.36 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

The side rails will get dadoes to receive the side panels a bit later, and of course the edges will be rolled. The plain faces on the edges should dress up when they take a trip thru the planer.
:D

I cut a section from another maple panel and then cut it into sections for the side panels. The sections are approximately 10" by 4" and will be bookmatched. They have to go thru the planer, then across the bandsaw.

10 rough side panels.jpg
10 rough side panels.jpg (144.21 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

After a good bit of attention, this is what you get, these are the ROUGH side panels, matched up to form the two sides. This is a very rough layout, showing about 22" in length. They will be squared up and trimmed to an even 18" and 9" in height with a half in tenon top and bottom. The best use of the grain will be chosen to obtain that length. Yup, still fiddling and finagling to do. :)

11 side one bookmatched panels.jpg
11 side one bookmatched panels.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
12 side two bookmatched panels.jpg
12 side two bookmatched panels.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

They will have tenons cut on the top and bottom to match the dado in the rails. They will be squared up and run across the jointer to eliminate gaps.
They WON'T be glued together, but will be allowed to move in the dado'd groove to allow for expansion due to changing temps and humidity. The end panels will hold them in place.

As you can see there is still a LOT of work to do. Bottom and top and the two doors to make, then legs and the cross beam support, and the divider .. but it's been interesting.
And a challenge. Will continue to be so...
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Go Go Go Jim,
I know it will turn out great! Will be following progress. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 am

Hour or so in the shop this morning before getting ready for a trip to the Tournament Captain's meeting and social.
Had to do some work on the side panels. First, had to square up the sides, and the bottom edges. Then, they had to fit in the 18" width. A matter of deciding how much of each sections's grain pattern to keep to make the 18" wide panel look it's best. I used the table saw and the jointer to put together the two side panel inserts. They are NOT going to be glued but as I stated earlier will fit into the dado'd slots in the rails. I'll work on those on Sunday as tomorrow will likely be a long full day, hard on this brokenolMarine, but we only see most of these folks once a year, and we are looking forward to it.

Here are the two panels, sized and shaped and trimmed to fit the width. They will get the tenons cut at a later time.

13 one side done.jpg
13 one side done.jpg (156.76 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
14 second side done.jpg
14 second side done.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 am

Looking great Jim!
I admire your persistence, especially with that tourney to think about!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 21, 2019 12:02 am

Spent a couple hours in the shop today working on the rails. After all was said and done, I wasn't completely happy with the look of them in maple. I will likely remake them in black walnut for a contrast to the bulk of the chest. Hey... I want Miss T to love it. Pics tomorrow of the maple process anyway...
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Finally Back at work...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 25, 2019 2:25 pm

Sorry, I know I said that I would be redoing the rails for the sides, but then... life happens. Trip to the VA for two doc appointments this week, Tuesday and Thursday. Fishing on Wednesday and unexpectedly Tina found a Westie pup in the mountains she liked, so Friday was out. :? Life happens.

I wasn't happy with the way the maple rails turned out. Not enough grain to compliment the side panels, so walnut rails were an option. I pulled a sliced bookmatched log off the stack and spread it out. Plenty to choose from.
01 Multiple Choice.jpg
01 Multiple Choice.jpg (165.97 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

I chose two slices with good grain, and picked the side that would offer two matched rails with the best grain from each rail, then ran them across the table saw to get a straight edge, then across the jointer to get a "really" straight edge.

02 straight edge.jpg
02 straight edge.jpg (178.11 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

Once that was done, I used the fence on the table saw as a guide and cut the two pairs I needed, and since there was enough left over, cut a spare rail. Always nice to have an extra part handy if there is a slip. :roll: NOT that this has ever been an issue when "I" was building a project. :twisted:

03 five rails.jpg
03 five rails.jpg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

I love the grain in the burled pair. LOVE it.

I had to set up the dado blade again and cut the dadoes in the rails to accept the panels. Then trimmed the ends of the panels with tenons so they fit in the grooves. All together.
04 A side.jpg
04 A side.jpg (156.24 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
05 b side.jpg
05 b side.jpg (157.61 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

I like the contrast between the walnut and maple MUCH better.
2 x