Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tree Removal

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Tree Removal

Post by Mags » Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 pm

I had an exlogger for years do what I couldn't do myself. He was really reasonable. Similar to the guys in Ernie's share. Last time around I found out he sold out, including his business name, to a tree maintenance arborist. Arborist rates are in the $1000s. I didn't use them. I found me another logger.
markiver54 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:30 pm
Well...bids are in. Kind of a shocker, but knew it wasn't going to be cheap.
First bid was $4400.00 and second was $6200.00. No brainer on the decision. Going with the first which Carol and I will split from our separate accounts. Work scheduled for June 6th. Hope we are at the cabin well before that, will just have to come back down that day. Was told they would be bringing in a crane and will all be done in a day.
Guess new gun/guns are on hold for a while. :x :(
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 pm

GFK wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm
Y Yet, the guy who did the side job doesn't seem to want to touch one of the trees that I am looking at now. I thinking because it is leaning toward a house. However, I have one other man I am going to try. I was told he is about as cheap as I will get. He was referred by the man who grinned my stumps. He a retired Airman (Air Force). So, I trust he is not trying to lead me astray.
Some professionals are very good, I think this guy is very good and also pretty lucky. Exciting part is at 2:50.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fe ... ORM=WRVORC
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 pm

dave77 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 pm
GFK wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm
Y Yet, the guy who did the side job doesn't seem to want to touch one of the trees that I am looking at now. I thinking because it is leaning toward a house. However, I have one other man I am going to try. I was told he is about as cheap as I will get. He was referred by the man who grinned my stumps. He a retired Airman (Air Force). So, I trust he is not trying to lead me astray.
Some professionals are very good, I think this guy is very good and also pretty lucky. Exciting part is at 2:50.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fe ... ORM=WRVORC
I agree. Some things may be too close. Some people only want easy money. Yet, some people know their limits. In my particular situation, I think he realized his limit but was concern about his reputation. He is known by local firemen as being able to drop a tree where he likes.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm

DARN good job...I have to think a lot of skill and maybe a little luck mixed in. Great job though! Gotta give him a lot of credit for even attempting that precision with potential catastrophic outcome!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 pm

We paid $1,200 about ten years ago to have one taken out right near the carport, woodshed, woodshop, and house. The guy brought a large bucket truck and two helpers. He worked his way up the tree dropping branches, controlling them with ropes over the branches above, lowering them rather than letting them fall.

We can just drop them in the woods, running up the trees like squirrels, and letting things fly. But, this close the the building, dropping huge limbs? One could bounce over or hang and swing over and hit the tree and swing out then fall. Either situation could cause it to hit one of your buildings.

He knew where everyone on the ground was before he made a cut, and he communicated with his guys on the ground exactly what he wanted in sign language... Great plan... Since most often there was a chainsaw running. Very pleased.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.