Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Winged/Tactical Peep On BBS .357 Carbine

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: Skinner Winged/Tactical Peep On BBS .357 Carbine

Post by Redthies » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks for answering all my questions -db- Is your last name Cooper by any chance?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Does the hole spacing on the big boy Steel frame coincide with the hole spacing on the big boy brass frame? Because if it does this would make a very nice little wing site to put on my brass frame in 357.
0 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 pm

According to the specs at HenryUSA.com, Big Boy Classic (Brass) and Big Boy (Steel) the Scope Mount Type: BB-RSM is for both.
Bubbas4570 wrote:Does the hole spacing on the big boy Steel frame coincide with the hole spacing on the big boy brass frame? Because if it does this would make a very nice little wing site to put on my brass frame in 357.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am

-db-,

Good research on this "hidden" peep sight Skinner has available. I've had a number of Skinner peeps, and this looks like another option for my Henry Big Boy .357 All-Weather stainless. Still, I have some questions.

Similar to Bubbas4570's question, I'm wondering if the tapped hole spacing on my All-Weather is the same, including thread size/pitch as you noted? Via an email chat I had with Jeff Post at Henry, I wanted to verify the correct picatinny rail mount for my rifle, and got this response. Post's answer aligns with the match up Mags talked about, too:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 12:47 PM, Jeff Post <jeff@henryusa.com> wrote:
The BB-RSMP is the correct rail for those needing to use Picatinny rings on any Big Boy rifle (H006 and H012 series). Most hunters and target shooters use Weaver-style rings, and so would use the standard BB-RSM rail.
So bringing these "side trails" together, the Skinner Marlin 1894 tactical peep appears to be doable for an All-Weather Big Boy, along with the brass or steel BB models. It would be a bummer, and $$ loss, if I decided to try this low-profile peep and it isn't able to be mounted in the tapped holes on the AW receiver. That would be the only risk I could envision.

BTW, I also emailed owner Andy Larsson at Skinner with your research and findings. I asked him if he can verify specs based on your findings. Will be interesting to see his response (hope he answers). Thanks, -db-.

PT7
-db- wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm
...Confirming the 336 and 1894 share the same spacing, with only the location differing, I went back to Skinner and found they offer their Winged/Tactical Sight for the Marlin 1894. Got it today and it fits the Henry BBS perfectly. So, even though Skinner doesn't currently list the sight for the Henry, I can confirm the Marlin 1894 sight does indeed fit and work.

In other words, the factory drilled and tapped rearmost scope mounting holes location and spacing on the Marlin 1894 and Henry Big Boy Steel receivers is virtually identical, including the thread size/pitch.

The great thing about this is the Skinner sight is a nice heavy duty unit, it offers great adjustability, provides 5 additional inches of sight radius and allows for the use of standard thread apertures of your choice. Not only that, unlike most other options, it sits low enough on the receiver to where it works with the factory front sight, co-witnessing the factory buckhorn sight on the barrel perfectly.

So, now owners of these newer Henrys have a previously unknown option for peep sights.
Bubbas4570 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:00 pm
Does the hole spacing on the big boy Steel frame coincide with the hole spacing on the big boy brass frame? Because if it does this would make a very nice little wing site to put on my brass frame in 357.
Mags wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 pm
According to the specs at HenryUSA.com, Big Boy Classic (Brass) and Big Boy (Steel) the Scope Mount Type: BB-RSM is for both.
0 x

~Пока~

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:50 am

If one thinks about it, it only makes sense to manufacture these receivers to the same specs on hole spacing and mounting options. It wouldn't make sense to do a bunch of different things for the same style of rifles. Your supply chain of parts grows exponentially, and gets way more expensive.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 am

After going through the somewhat circuitous research info already posted, I thought I'd write directly to Skinner to see if I could get some specs to finalize (for myself) a review of this peep site. What Rob O. wrote back was helpful.

PT7

To: 'Bob'
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 05:45:33 PM CDT
Subject: RE: Winged tactical sight for Henry All-Weather Big Boy

The rearmost two mounting holes on the Henry Big Boy, Henry 30-30/45-70 Levers, Marlin 1894, and Marlin 1895/336 are spaced .500” apart center to center on all four models. (The Marlins 336/1895 and 1894 do not “share the same spacing” because the spacings between all four holes on both of those models are not identical, however….) These four models all use the 8-40 thread size holes/mounting screws.

The Skinner Winged Sight for the Marlin 1894 will indeed fit the receiver on the rear two mounting holes of any Henry Big Boy…including the All Weather, BBS, and the Big Boy brass frame as well.

However, you should know that the Winged Sight has an outer width measurement of .635” or so, and so may overhang the top rear side bevel/arc of the Big Boy frame on either side when adjusted for windage (the entire Winged Sight body slides sideways on the flat receiver top surface for windage adjustment, using the mounting screws in slotted screw mounting holes to lock in place afterwards. Measure the width of the rear flat portion of your Big Boy receiver to get an idea of the relative widths involved. The Skinner Winged 1895/336 Sight will also fit the .500” spaced rear mounting holes, but due to the placement of the mounting screw slots further forward in the sight body, the rear of the 1895/336 model Winged Sight will protrude back beyond the rear edge of the Big Boy receiver…making the 1894 model Winged Sight the best choice of the two on the Big Boy by far.

We have sold a number of 1894 Winged Sights to customers installing them on Henry Big Boys with satisfaction.

Thank You for your interest in Skinner Sights!
Rob O.
0 x

~Пока~

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Good info PT7! It is always nice to know these kind of thungs.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am

A bit late to this, but, that was a very good report regarding the 1894 Winged sight and the fit to a Henry BBS receiver.
Thank you very much db.
0 x

pvq
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by pvq » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

I have a Skinner LoPro sight that I removed upon selling my 1894CS. Are you saying that the threading is the same on the 1894 and the Henry BBS? I have a BBS on order. Perhaps I can use the LoPro?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us and congratulations on your soon-to-be BBS rifle!

According to the owner of Skinner Sights, the answer is yes. Please read his email to our member PT7 in which he writes that the threads ( 8-40) are the same on the two rifles. Let us know how it works out for you.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 287#p95529
pvq wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am
I have a Skinner LoPro sight that I removed upon selling my 1894CS. Are you saying that the threading is the same on the 1894 and the Henry BBS? I have a BBS on order. Perhaps I can use the LoPro?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"