Damascus verses Non Damascus Knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
nebhoma
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Damascus verses Non Damascus Knives

Post by nebhoma » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 am

Greeting,

Have a question for ya'll. I have been purchasing knives from a vender from outside Atlanta for more than a few years now.

I got into a discussion with an associate the other day about hand made knives, he flat out stated that Damascus Blades were a waste of money as they aren't good for anything other than looking pretty, I disagree, I'm of the mind a well made blade is a well made blade.

I don't just buy Damascus, have purchased various kinds of knives from my vendor and love all of them, some I keep some I give as gifts.

What's your thoughts on the subject
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Damascus verses Non Damascus Knives

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am

Watch Forged in Fire videos on You Tube. Damascus blades are incredibly strong if properly forged. They are subjected to extreme stress in the tests on the show and pass with flying colors. A true folded forged Damascus steel blade, not just an etched pattern, properly done... Should outlast it's owner.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 am

Like any other blade, it depends on the steels used and the process. Some are excellent, some are crap, and others are faked. It's often difficult to tell the difference just by looking at them, so the makers reputation is important. Since you've been buying from the same vendor, have you asked to watch how they are forged and what steels are used? In other words, have you done your homework?
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

nebhoma
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by nebhoma » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 am

Yep done my homework, or I wouldn't continue buying knives from them. Good quality and reasonable pricing. Buys them not only for myself, but as gifts or family and friends.

Thanks for the input, USA RET here.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am

nebhoma wrote:Yep done my homework, or I wouldn't continue buying knives from them. Good quality and reasonable pricing. Buys them not only for myself, but as gifts or family and friends.

Thanks for the input, USA RET here.
Figured you had, but had to ask. Seen too many people buy some $25 pos at flea markets that ain't even worth that much. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:Watch Forged in Fire videos on You Tube. Damascus blades are incredibly strong if properly forged. They are subjected to extreme stress in the tests on the show and pass with flying colors. A true folded forged Damascus steel blade, not just an etched pattern, properly done... Should outlast it's owner.
Well put Jim. True folded and properly forged is a must! I might add; timely quenching.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I only have one knife with damascus blades (a Case Muskrat). Don't know if the blades were done right. It is part of my knife collecton and I don't use it.
Case Muskrat.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am

Steve51 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 pm
I only have one knife with damascus blades (a Case Muskrat). Don't know if the blades were done right. It is part of my knife collecton and I don't use it.

Case Muskrat.JPG
It's a Case. I would bet it's "done right".
0 x