Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I finally got to the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

I finally got to the range

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:09 am

I finally got to the range a few days ago. A buddy at work was going to go fishing with me, but he couldn't get the day off. I decided that it was going to be good weather and I was going to go shooting. I brought lots of toys to shoot. I loaded up my moon clips for the two Performance Center Smith's I recently bought. I couldn't wait to try them. I assembled the gear.

When I got to the range, I got set up. Of course, the pink range / gun towel made it. Since it's a range report, coffee was also brought along. I was going to be there for several hours.

The spotting scope was a good accessory for the Pachmyr shooting box. I haven't shot much since getting bifocals. Seeing the holes in the targets isn't what it used to be. Optics are a must for me now. I also had to adjust my head to see the front sight clearly. That took some time to get used to. I could see the results of not doing it. I really wanted to get the 686 plus and the 327 going. Well, that was going to be a well remembered day for sure. The Altamont grips that accompany those two guns from the Performance Center are beautiful. They fill the hand, but the curve of the backstraps on both guns just hit the right spot in my palm. I found the grips to be thin and the backstrap exposed. This caused an uncomfortable ache after a cylinder full of .357 in each gun. I had a spare set of Pachmyrs that covered the backstrap I brought for the 327, just in case. They sure tamed the recoil on those magnums. I didn't like how they looked on the gun, but they sure made it a joy, actual joy, to shoot. I think my favorite round out of it was the Remington 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points at +P. I got several boxes of them at Walmart when I was teaching a friend to shoot a revolver a few years ago.

I really like the moon clips, although getting 7 or 8 .38 caliber sized points to align is a bit tougher than getting six .45 caliber points to align. I was able to get a lot of practice in. The empties were easy enough to locate. I had a tool to get the brass out of the clip, but I found it tough to get the clips loaded with the last few rounds. (I came home and ordered the TK aluminum clip loader. What a great product. I also got the de-mooning tool they make. What a great set.)

I brought several guns to shoot. They were, S&W 686plus, 327, 25, 638 and a pre-10. From Ruger, I brought a GP100 with three inch barrel. I brought a Beretta 21a, but forgot the magazines at home (lol). For long guns, I brought a Marlin 989 m1 .22, a .223/5.56 pump action Remington, my BigBoy in .45lc and my smith and wesson AR. I had to sight in a couple of guns, mostly the AR. I put a red dot on it. I was very surprised that I had to really move the sight on the 686 so much. I know it wasn't fired except at the factory, but it was way off. It is now zoned in. After a few hours and hundreds of rounds downrange, it was time to head home.

Once I got home, it was time to evaluate lessons learned. It had been way to long to get to the range in earnest. I had a lot of holsters and speed loader pouches with me to see if any of them could be used. New holsters for the new Smiths are on order from Triple K and Kramer leather. One of the speed loader holders is capable of holding two moon clips, one on top of each other. That will be tested more when the holsters arrive. The glasses issue was by far the biggest hurdle to overcome. Once I got a good stance and remembered to tilt my head, things went pretty smoothly. New Pachmyr compacs are also on order for the two Smiths. I am hoping the fully covered backstrap would be the answer. As pretty as the Altamont grips are, the open backstrap on either one was not magnum friendly to my hand. It just hit the right spot and made it ache. For comparison, the GP100, with it's fully rubber grip, was very easy to run magnums through. The 327 was really fun to shoot with .38s and .38+Ps. My favorite guns that day, the model 25 and the Big Boy. Those 45s left both like they were guided missile's. The heavy N frame absorbed any recoil and it felt like shooting less than a .38. The rifle was great out to 100 yds. I shot at paper plates. If I did my part, the Henry put them on the plate at 50 and 100 yds. The Smith, no surprise, put them on the plate at 50 yds. I didn't try 100 yds, I quit while ahead.
It was a lot of shooting, but a lot of practice was had and a lot of knowledge was gathered on some new guns. The time flew by. I can't wait to get out again!
14 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: I finally got to the range

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:26 am

Good for you. Always nice to get some trigger time.

Tina got a smaller purse out, and her 23c doesn't fit, so it went back in the safe for the summer. She had a choice of the G26 9mm or her old pal the Airweight 642. Not surprising me in the least, she went with the 26 and a spare mag. I had planned a spring range day for us both, since it has been a nasty winter. I wanted to shoot the three I carry most often, the SIG P220 45, the Smith 340 357, and thd G26 40. Miss T was on line for fam fire on the 26 and the 23, just in case. :D I

First planned day? Tornado warnings all day, severe winds and very heavy rains. I wanted to shoot very badly.. ;) ... Not enough to risk a trip to Oz. :o The next day the area in front of my berm was under ten inches of water. :twisted: Maybe this afternoon. :?
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:28 am

Wow...what a spread of relaxing FUN!
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 am

Sounds like a great range outing Dave! Thanks for all the details! Good reporting/reading.
Can't wait till I can take my time, with most of my guns and do the same! Some, I haven't shot for a while. My 686 being one of them.
After hearing your report, I'm curious how it feels with the open back strap. It has the Pachmyrs on it. It is the 6". Always has been one of my favorites. As I said, haven't shot it for a while though.
I know you had a good time!!
Thanks!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:42 am

That's a mighty fine collection of revolvers you have there - great range report - looks like you had a lot of fun.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 am

Glad you got out for some gunsmoke aromatherapy.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:58 am

"Gosh, you've really got some nice toys here."
Nice Toys.jpg
Nice Toys.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Really some nice guns and cases, etc. Dave. I'm amazed you can bring that many to the range though and get anything done :D
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Good for you, Dave. Seems like it has been a while since you posted any thing about shooting at the range. Looks like you had plenty to shoot to make it a very fun filled time. Great report!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Impressive armory there! Good to read you got out and made a day of it. Where are your paper plate results?
pinkchk_xsm.png
pinkchk_xsm.png (558 Bytes) Viewed 2193 times
daytime dave wrote:I finally got to the range a few days ago. ...
Last edited by Mags on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Nice outing all the way around, Dave! Gear, targets, coffee, range towel, optics, you had it all, thanks for sharing! I've never shot that many different firearms at one range session and, looking at your set-up, now I know why. Too many variables for me!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357