Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some spring shooting fun

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Some spring shooting fun

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Finally! Yup, some nice spring weather, so off to the range we went with our usual mix bag of guns. These were the standouts, today.

Belgium Browning, T-bolt, T2 version in 22 LR, 1966 vintage
This was a recently acquired little jewel, first time to the range. Cost us, dearly, but pleased to report, not just a pretty face. :) Scope is a rimfire classic in a Leupold 4x Rimfire. Nice match for a trim, sweet 22 rifle.

Managed some half inch groups with CCI SV at 50 yards, so had to get fancy and see what the T bolt would do with pricey Eley Subsonic. Here's a great example of why you don't need some monster 24x scope to shoot good groups at 50 yards. What you do need, though, is good optics as found in this classic Leupold 4x. This group puts this vintage T-bolt in the same excellent accuracy class as the new current T-bolts.

Trigger is very nice and crisp, breaking at about 2 pounds. Another great offhand shooter for me.

Bill did very well with this vintage Browning, too, using CCI SV.

Low Wall Hunter 22 mag
Dan, this one's for you. Had to bring along at least one Low Wall, this time the 22 mag. Scope is a Leupold VX 2, 4-12x40 AO.

Loves the Winchester Varmint 30 grain 22 mags.

Cimarron Frontier 357
Figured I was getting rusty with my revolver shooting, so dusted off my only single action, this one a Cimarron/Pietta 357 Frontier. Got it cheap from a cowboy action shooter who was using it as a back up gun. He had never fired it. I filed down the front sight to accommodate sooting 38s.

Okay, maybe only a little rusty. Happy dance on this one. :)

Hope you enjoyed it, folks, and hope you can get out and do some shooting, too.
13 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Some spring shooting fun

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Good shooting. And that Browning is to die for!
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Some beautiful guns and some great shooting as usual. Glad the weather is nice now so you can get out and shoot. Our weather is warm but very windy here for the last few days. Maybe shoot a day this week if the wind dies down.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the little Browning is a delight in every way. Abut as good as it gets in a rifle that feels and handles like a 22 rifle, the kind of 22 you want to grab and disappear into the woods for a day of squirrel hunting.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

As always great shooting and beautiful guns. Looks like Jim and the T bolt get along quite well.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Smokin' hot shooting. Nice to see you out again. Long winter.
That revolver target is a nice one for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 pm

I can’t get over that tiny group with the revolver! Extremely impressive! I’m jealous.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 pm

As always, WOW great shooting!
0 x
Pax at Justitia

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Some very good shooting and great guns there! Think I will get a couple of my .22's out tomorrow.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:10 am

North Country Gal wrote:Finally! Yup, some nice spring weather, so off to the range we went with our usual mix bag of guns. These were the standouts, today.

Belgium Browning, T-bolt, T2 version in 22 LR, 1966 vintage
This was a recently acquired little jewel, first time to the range. Cost us, dearly, but pleased to report, not just a pretty face. :) Scope is a rimfire classic in a Leupold 4x Rimfire. Nice match for a trim, sweet 22 rifle.

Managed some half inch groups with CCI SV at 50 yards, so had to get fancy and see what the T bolt would do with pricey Eley Subsonic. Here's a great example of why you don't need some monster 24x scope to shoot good groups at 50 yards. What you do need, though, is good optics as found in this classic Leupold 4x. This group puts this vintage T-bolt in the same excellent accuracy class as the new current T-bolts.

Trigger is very nice and crisp, breaking at about 2 pounds. Another great offhand shooter for me.

Bill did very well with this vintage Browning, too, using CCI SV.

Low Wall Hunter 22 mag
Dan, this one's for you. Had to bring along at least one Low Wall, this time the 22 mag. Scope is a Leupold VX 2, 4-12x40 AO.

Loves the Winchester Varmint 30 grain 22 mags.

Cimarron Frontier 357
Figured I was getting rusty with my revolver shooting, so dusted off my only single action, this one a Cimarron/Pietta 357 Frontier. Got it cheap from a cowboy action shooter who was using it as a back up gun. He had never fired it. I filed down the front sight to accommodate sooting 38s.

Okay, maybe only a little rusty. Happy dance on this one. :)

Hope you enjoyed it, folks, and hope you can get out and do some shooting, too.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, Man thats some great shooting!!!!!

Doubt that I can come even close , but that certainly tells me what is possible.

Thank you, and thanks for all your help with picking such a terrific rifle.

Thanks also for including the details on the scope as well. I may put this off for a bit but this was extremely helpful also. By the way is the mount anything special or just an ordinary Leopold mount? If I remember correctly you said those were medium Leopold rings.

I'm hoping to get mine by the end of next week or a little later.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x