Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ballistol

Tell us how you do it
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Ballistol

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:I like Balistol for the outside of a rifle and AMSoil gun cleaner on the inside.
Balistol for all my gun and knife leather.
Kind of like the smell now.
Didn't know Amsoil made a gun oil....or is AMSoil a different product?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Ojaileveraction wrote:I like Balistol for the outside of a rifle and AMSoil gun cleaner on the inside.
That's how they spell it on the label.
It is a synthetic oil company. They make a lot of products.
I found a spritz on a bore cleaning pad is enough for most days shooting.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
That's how they spell it on the label.
It is a synthetic oil company. They make a lot of products.
I found a spritz on a bore cleaning pad is enough for most days shooting.
Thanks Tim, I think I'll keep my eyes open for that next time shopping.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Renaissance Wax for wood and shiny brass.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Markiver you wont likely find Amsoil on the shelf. I think before you joined we had a contest and I gave away some of the gun cleaner for prizes. Thats how Tim was able to try it. Its made by the same people who have made there synthetic oil for years.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by servant824 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 pm

markiver54 wrote:
servant824 wrote:Ive used an awful lot of Ballistol. I usually have some on hand. I used it more for cleaning muzzleloaders than anything. Its a good black powder solvent when mixed with water. Its ok for smokeless powder fouling. And I think its ok for lube. It really is a do all type of firearm care. A jack of all trades but a master of none. It does a lot of things fairly well. I think there are much better products out there for rust prevention. It wont remove copper fouling. I dont think its better than Hoppes for powder fouling either. Its awesome as a leather treatment. It wont make me replace a lot of the stuff I use now for gun care. But I have it if I run out of something else. And for those who love it. The best way Ive found to buy is in the 16oz liquid cans with the trigger spray not the aerosol. Track of the Wolf always has it and I usually bought a can or 2 every time I ordered from there which was a lot. Been using it for quite a while and worthwhile to always have some around.
I've been wiping down guns, leather, wood and rubber/synthetics. Working very well with no adverse affects..all good so far.
I soaked my Victorinox multi tool in it...works like new now! Also lubed my course feeling safe door mechanism, works like silk now. Soo as a lubricant,,,we'll see how long it lasts, but for now, I have been impressed.
So far, to me it's one go to product, which makes my life easier. :D
Its ok in a pinch for a lubricant. But I wouldn't use it as a lube on my 1911rails unless I had nothing else. I just have too many other products that are superior for that purpose . But I have soaked the gun in it and let it set for a while when I knew I couldnt get right to cleaning. I still like having it around. Its pretty good to soak stuff in it. And its actually economical compared to a lot of products. Can usually find 16 oz cans for about $18.00 in a few places. Ive seen it for that price at Amazon and Track of the Wolf
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 am

Guess I got real lucky. A local gunsmith that works out of his basement shop sold me a 16 oz can for $11.20. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by servant824 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm

markiver54 wrote:Guess I got real lucky. A local gunsmith that works out of his basement shop sold me a 16 oz can for $11.20. :)
Thats a steal!! Just found it for 29 bucks if you buy 2 cans on Amazon if anyone is interested.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:43 pm

servant824 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Guess I got real lucky. A local gunsmith that works out of his basement shop sold me a 16 oz can for $11.20. :)
Thats a steal!! Just found it for 29 bucks if you buy 2 cans on Amazon if anyone is interested.
Guess I should go get as much as he has left, if any. He only had 4 cans when I bought about a month or so ago.
Don't know if he re-stocks or not. Thanks for the info on Amazon though! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:10 am

I've been looking for a small bottle (for lack of a better term) to fill with Ballistol and pack in my portable cleaning kit .... I've been packing the smallest commercial spray can which most certainly works but it is a bit bulky .... a while back I came across an ad for Steel Needle TIP Plastic Dropper Bottles on Amazon (link below) .... its opening is smaller than any funnel but I was able to fill it from a Non-Aerosol, 16 oz. can .... next time I think I'll use a turkey injector size hypodermic needle, don't think I'll spill as much .. ;) .. if I had it to do over and knowing what I know now, I'd probably order the bottles shown in the second link .... I like having the ability to apply single drops of Ballistol .... now I need to do some gun cleaning and see how well it works

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IC ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Squeeze- ... 159&sr=1-5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x