Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hello from the South Carolina Low Country!

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
kingstrider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Hello from the South Carolina Low Country!

Post by kingstrider » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Just joined this forum and thought I'd say hi. I have owned several Henry rifles over the years but currently only have one, a Mares Leg in 45 Colt that was legally converted to a SBR. I just completed the project but some of the mods included drilling & tapping the receiver for a Skinner peep sight and adding a figured walnut stock set that was purchased directly from Henry. This was intended for a carbine model so took a bit of work to fit it to the gun and was finished in Tru-Oil then topped with paste wax. I think it turned out really nice but here are a few before and after photos...
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hello from the South Carolina Low Country!

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

first welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... we have a steadily growing number of members who own various models chambered for 45 Colt, yours is the most unique I've seen to date .... do you load your own ammo .. :?: .. I'm sure some will jump into this conversation and I'm looking forward to following it .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 074#p84074
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:28 pm

That looks really nice and I know Esquared is in trouble now. Hes gonna need to come upscale and get some pink rhododendrons in his gun pictures. Those pink towels hes been using are now second class. Welcome from Colorado gun and the wood is really nice.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Kingstrider.
KCMO.jpg
What a great intro post! Glad you joined. Your ML project really is a cool 8-) piece of workmanship. I bet shooting the .45 Colt caliber is much fun in this configuration.

Found it interesting that you moved away from the large lever to a standard-sized lever. From my perspective, I like its looks better on your ML/SBR. Most of all, the finish/patterns of your wood is beautiful. My favorite part of a rifle.

Thanks for the photos. Sure have some purty flowers in the SC Low Country.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm

kingstrider wrote:Just joined this forum and thought I'd say hi.
Welcome to the forum from CT. Nice work, kingstrider. Thanks for sharing those photos with us. I look forward to your posts.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

kingstrider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kingstrider » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate a good gun photo and find it a lot more interesting that looking at a set of feet and ugly toes lol.

For anyone interested I did a build thread about it here: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/tact ... 5-sbr.html
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Just finished reading your Marlin thread, Kingstrider. Well worth the read. Totally agree with the Marlin commentaries (noticed 116 likes). You are highly skilled, light years beyond what I can even begin to do with metals or wood.

Not only are your DIY project results excellent, but I enjoyed reading how you "hooked" some of the Marlin Folk into "warming up to brass Henrys." In particular, another Super Moderator named JackTW really kept on top of all your work. It was a great thread....thanks for sharing it here.

And definitely looking forward to future Range Reports on your Henry/SBR .45 Colt!!
PT7
kingstrider wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate a good gun photo and find it a lot more interesting that looking at a set of feet and ugly toes lol.

For anyone interested I did a build thread about it here: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/tact ... 5-sbr.html
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon!
TV Geo Map sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Hey, welcome from Nebraska. You have a beautiful piece of firearm history there. Glad you joined us.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.