Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What ammo does your Henry 22 like?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Viking
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: What ammo does your Henry 22 like?

Post by Viking » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 am

I just started my 10 day “waiting period” to pick up my new classic lever action carbine. I live in the great state of “Kalifornistan” and we now can only hunt with non lead bullets so I guess my answer has to be”copper bullets”. We can still use lead to target practice so I’ll use up the many rounds of whatever I have till then. The “big panic seems to have started already here and there are no copper 22s available anywhere right now that I can find. Even then our choices of flavor will be limited.When I said use them up I DID mean for target practice.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 am

Check out the online sources here: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=4800
Even so I understand some of them might not ship to “Kalifornistan”
Viking wrote:I just started my 10 day “waiting period” to pick up my new classic lever action carbine. I live in the great state of “Kalifornistan” and we now can only hunt with non lead bullets so I guess my answer has to be”copper bullets”. We can still use lead to target practice so I’ll use up the many rounds of whatever I have till then. The “big panic seems to have started already here and there are no copper 22s available anywhere right now that I can find. Even then our choices of flavor will be limited.When I said use them up I DID mean for target practice.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:01 pm

My .357 magnums love what ever is on sale, specially Fiocchi and S&B.
0 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm

What ever is the cheapest! :)
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:55 pm

I have some of the cheapest I could get. POI from my Rossi was all over the place. Mistakenly thought it was a problem with the rifle. A piece of the rationale (excuse) for buying my Henry .30-30. After being on this forum for a while, from reading the .22 stories, realized it wasn't the Rossi at all. It was the ammo. Two good takeaways. Don't fall for the cheapest .22 ammo. Got my first Henry!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Mags wrote:I have some of the cheapest I could get. POI from my Rossi was all over the place. ... Don't fall for the cheapest .22 ammo.
Thanks for the good advice, Mags. Two questions. What was the cheapest 22LR that you have used and that failed to perform in your Rossi? What 22LR ammo do you now use that you find is better? Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 pm

I've since gone back to CCI Mini Mag Hollow Pt. The bulk cheap stuff I bought years ago I used it to refill empty CCI bricks and didn't keep the bulk packaging it came in, so I do not remember what it was. At the time my thinking was that all .22 ammo was the same.

Back in the 90's I shot my first nutria with the Rossi and CCI Mini Mags. It was about a 150yd shot over the buckhorn sights (before my eyes went bad). The Rossi and ammo shot straight and true. POA was POI.

After the original CCI bricks ran out I was turned off from shooting much. With the bulk ammo it was hard to hit a nutria at any distance. It became worse as my eyesight went south. My Henry .30-30 experience gave me back confidence and fun in my shooting ability. Reading .22 stories here taught me that my bad experience with the Rossi wasn't likely the Rossi but the ammo.

I have a lot of the bulk ammo left. Most recently shot a bunch of it out of my .22 S&W revolver. I'm still amazed to see shots with this bulk ammo spin off to the left or right and plow into the dirt half way to the target well off line of POA.
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 am

CCI Std Vel for me. Priced right and is equal to the high priced stuff.
Have found that Winchester Suppressor ammo shoots the same point of impact at 100 yards - not important unless you shoot Lever Action Silhouette and need the 45gr bullet to take a heavy ram at 100 yards. Works OK locally, may not work as well at the Nationals, In Raton, but I like the idea of shooting .22 LR at the Pistol Cartridge targets.
M
0 x

jkrijt
Wrangler
Netherlands

Post by jkrijt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm

CCI minimag in my Small Game rifle
1 x
Jan from The Netherlands
- Henry "Small Game" .22lr
- A few CZ rifles and a pistol
- Uberti Cattleman revolver
- Two Diana Air rifles, one in .17 (it is from 1974) and one in .22 (also old)

Ruger1300
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ruger1300 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:27 pm

CCI SGB! I was surprised how well they shot in my Evil Roy.
0 x