Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Suburban Deer

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Suburban Deer

Post by ESquared » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:45 am

Back in early Fall, as I was gearing up for deer camp, I was mowing my back yard in mid-morning and looked across the fence to see a small buck and 3 does cavorting in the yard next door. They seemed to have zero fear, but before I knew it, they were gone. I'm in a 40-year old neighborhood that's adjacent to some lakes and woods, but it's still, in every sense, SUBURBAN territory.
Yesterday morning, about dawn as the snow continued to fall in KC, a couple of them were back, in exactly the same spot!
Attachments
Suburban Deer 001.JPG
Suburban Deer 001.JPG (81.71 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
8 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Suburban Deer

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:20 am

Ed they are very adaptable, and know they are safe there. :lol:
A friend of mine lives like you, and a few years back his son killed a nice 15 point in some woods right behind their home.

I see a lot of deer in and around the cities.
Most of us travel several miles to hunt when there are some nice ones right out the back door. :lol:

Coyotes are about as bad, another adaptable animal.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I see deer in the yards in my neighborhood many nights on the way home. There are some wooded tracts in the area, but where I see them is definitely suburban. Rarely see a buck, though.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

They're rooting around under a huge pin-oak. Lots of acorns on the ground! Adaptable is the word. A friend of mine who's had at least one auto incident refers to them as "hooved rodents"! They can be a nuisance.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 pm

We see suburban deer in the wooded area behind us all the time. They love all the expensive plants the neighborhood puts out. They roam around all over. I've come outside to have nearly a dozen milling around the FRONT yard or the neighbors front yard at twilight. They eat all the decorative plants. They are afraid up to a point. Ours aren't as bad as Ranch Ropers, but they could get names.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:04 pm

In the rural forested fringes outside of town. We also see deer frequently meandering through. So far in 22yrs haven't seen evidence of then munching on any bought plants and flowers. Usually just grass grassing as they go though.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm just outside of city limits but near the end of a dead end road in a fairly rural canyon with a small year around creek. It seems that the more severe the winter is, the more likely they are to forage at the lower elevations. One particularly hard winter they did some pretty serious munching on my neighbor's Arborvitae. I've always been surprised they don't feed on my hay, it's just in a covered shelter that's completely open on 2 sides.

Deer seem to have a pretty good idea when it's hunting season. One Summer a couple of friends and I were shooting at a local range and watched 3 deer walk clear around the hills surrounding the range, we continued to shoot and they didn't seem at all concerned.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

ESquared wrote:They're rooting around under a huge pin-oak. Lots of acorns on the ground! Adaptable is the word. A friend of mine who's had at least one auto incident refers to them as "hooved rodents"! They can be a nuisance.
They can be, in nearly 45 yrs. drivin I've had one walk into the side of my car, and hit 2 head on.
And have had an few close calls.

cloivs, just cause ya don't see 'em don't mean they ain't near.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 am

Vaquero wrote: cloivs, just cause ya don't see 'em don't mean they ain't near.

RP
Yeah, I'm sure there's one around somewhere. Those fawns didn't happen by parthenogenesis.

I normally see several does and several larger fawns. Sometimes it's just a doe and a fawn.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya