Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Checkering a Rifle Stock

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Checkering a Rifle Stock

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Like most of us, I've been impressed by the checkering skill that Bandit has shared in photographs on this forum, including his latest post.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5925

Thank you, Bandit. You do fantastic work and it made me curious. What tools are used, how are they used, what different designs are commonly used and why, and just what is required in order to carve these beautiful features into rifle stocks?

I found a link that helped to explain it, nicely. It features gunsmith, Larry Potterfield, president of MidwayUSA, who aptly demonstrates the process from beginning to end. It's a very informative video that might interest a few others here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbK3us_JCY
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Checkering a Rifle Stock

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm

CT, Larry Potterfield is a very good gun smith and does really nice work. His videos are very helpful on a lot of gun repairs and other gun related upgrades. They are very informative when you need help with something you are going to do that you haven't tried before. I am no master at checkering like these guys are. I am just a self taught Pa. hick that likes to fool with my guns. I really don't like checkering stocks but I am alright with fixing poorly checkered factory stocks and that satisfies me just fine. I would checker a complete stock of my own but not for any one else risking a bad job then have to pay for some ones stock. Not for me as I don't have the patience any more to lay everything out and start from scratch with a fresh pattern. Pick up some used tools and give it a try some time you may be real good at it and like doing it. Used tools are not expensive at shows. Most look unused which they probably are. It is not for everybody. Takes good eyes. You will need really good lighting. One of those bench mounted magnifiers comes in handy if your eyes are not great.
3 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks for posting that, CT. It's an art that I have neither the skill nor the patience for, but I greatly admire those that do, including our own bandit! :) :D
3 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:11 pm

bandit1250 wrote:I am just a self taught Pa. hick that likes to fool with my guns. I really don't like checkering stocks but I am alright with fixing poorly checkered factory stocks and that satisfies me just fine.
Bandit, I'm quite impressed by your self-education and acquired skill; likely more than you are. Thanks for sharing what you know with us (me). It's valuable and informative in so many ways. As you know, I'm a firearms newby. I got my permit in 12/13 and bought my first gun in 03/14. Because of this forum, I've learned as much about rifles from you as from anyone, other than NCG. ;)
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 pm

CT, There is no doubt in my mind about NCG and her expertise and knowledge on fire arms. She doesn't only know about the guns she like best but other ones she don't even own. She could be referred to as the " walking fire arms encyclopedia of the north country." ;) :)
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Note NCG's rank with this forum in her avatar box. "Firearms Advisor". Well deserved!
bandit1250 wrote:CT, There is no doubt in my mind about NCG and her expertise and knowledge on fire arms. She doesn't only know about the guns she like best but other ones she don't even own. She could be referred to as the " walking fire arms encyclopedia of the north country." ;) :)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234