Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stock Warning

Henry's new single shots
steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Stock Warning

Post by steider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Well, got my 44, 45-70 and 30-30 back. I can truly say they are in perfect shape. One thing I noticed is that the gripping is different on the 2018 models. The 30-30 is the one without the grip pattern on the bottom.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (99.84 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Nice rifles! Nice knife photo bomb too.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Mags wrote:.

Thank you. The knife. The steel and brass is all hand forged. The wood handle is even hand made. There is this young blacksmith that lives 40 miles from me in Monticello, New Mexico. He’s been forgeing since he was 7. He actually works and uses an old sheep shed on his property for his forgeing pits and equipment and uses wood from trees in his back yard. He sells at area events but does have a Etsy store. He was on the tv show Forged in Fire season 5 episode 25 and won the championship. The nicest kid you will ever meet. He literally makes the best knives I have ever used. Here’s his Etsy store if you like.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/asheandhammer
Last edited by steider on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Checked out his store. Looks like he has very well made knives. Saw in reviews one that looks very much like the one you have.
steider wrote:

Thank you. The knife. The steel and brass is all hand forged. The wood handle is even hand made. There is this young blacksmith that lives 40 miles from me in Montecillo, New Mexico. He’s been forgeing since he was 7. He actually works and uses an old sheep shed on his property for his forgeing pits and equipment and uses wood from trees in his back yard. He sells at area events but does have a Etsy store. He was on the tv show Forged in Fire season 5 episode 25 and won the championship. The nicest kid you will ever meet. He literally makes the best knives I have ever used. Here’s his Etsy store if you like.

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 pm

So, the 30-30 is the second one from the right? And it has checkering on the sides of the forend, but not the bottom? Seems like a lighter shade of wood as well. Interesting.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 am

Checked out his store. Looks like he has very well made knives. Saw in reviews one that looks very much like the one you have.
steider wrote:

Thank you. The knife. The steel and brass is all hand forged. The wood handle is even hand made. There is this young blacksmith that lives 40 miles from me in Montecillo, New Mexico. He’s been forgeing since he was 7. He actually works and uses an old sheep shed on his property for his forgeing pits and equipment and uses wood from trees in his back yard. He sells at area events but does have a Etsy store. He was on the tv show Forged in Fire season 5 episode 25 and won the championship. The nicest kid you will ever meet. He literally makes the best knives I have ever used. Here’s his Etsy store if you like.

Met him in Truth or Consequences at the towns yearly fiesta back in May. I said to him that if he ever made a Bowie knife I would buy it.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:06 am

I like the full wrap around checkering of the forearm on the earlier models. It's too bad that Henry appears to be scaling it back, but it no doubt is quicker, probably more foolproof, and less costly, to do two panels on the sides, instead. Kinda hate to see that, though. I better get a 30-30 ordered, soon ;) .
0 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:34 pm

I just sold all my Henry single shot rifles. I use to own the 45-70, 44 and 30-30. The three rifles combined has been in Henry warranty repair 7 times for stocks coming loose or cracks. That’s not counting the 20 gauge that I just sold also. The 20 gauge has been in warranty repair for the trigger slipping when pulled and a cracked stock. I noticed that when I slowly pulled the trigger on the 45-70 and 30-30 it would slip alittle. I couldn’t notice it when shooting but watching the trigger when I squeezed I could see it. I figured that the trigger is just going to get worse over time. Instead of more warranty repairs, I just decided to get rid of this headache. To tell you the truth, I feel releaved now. Sending 4 guns to warranty repair 9 times total in the last 7 months wasn’t fun. I own Henry lever actions for years with no issues. These single shot rifles are not the same quality that we are used to from Henry. I do hope Henry fixes or discontinues these rifles before it damages their name for years.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Interesting.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Hmmm. I've been searching here for feedback from 20 ga. single-shot owners, and this is disappointing. Think I'll cool my jets and see what unfolds for others, whether here or elsewhere on the world wide web.

Sorry to hear of all your struggles, but it's hard to deny the pattern, given your heavy level of investment in the new platform.

I hope others who have gone down this path will keep us informed of their experiences over time.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357