Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: LeverEvolution in .41 Mag BBS Carbine

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm

As I mentioned I have heard nothing but good about the accuracy of that ammo. I reload but time is a factor plus I have many calibers to load for. Sometimes I don't get enough time to develop a load and these loads are a great backup for me.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:30 pm

GunnyGene wrote:Thanks for the feedback, y'all. :) It seems nobody has tried the ammo out in the .41, so I reckon I'm the guinea pig. Went out this morning, and was very pleased with the ammo (50yds). Cycled well, and more accurate than I am these days. Had to make a couple small scope adjustments from using the Underwood 210gr XTP, which I expected, but after that, here is the result of 14 rounds (what remained in the box) on a separate target. The 3 fliers outside the 2" bull were me. I'll be going back right 1 click for the next session. Really need to cut back on the caffeine. ;)

Nice shootin.
Like the 41 Mag., have a Henry and a Ruger BH.
The only Leverevolution I have ever tried were in my first 444.
Took one doe with it at 135 yds.
It did the job but in my opinion there was an excessive amount of damaged meat.
I like my cast loads much better.. Heck I still have over half of that box of ammo, and that's been 5, or 6 years ago.
Couple years ago I bought 100 rounds of the 35 Rem. LEVERevolution, still in the safe. If I ever need the brass to reload, then I'll shot 'em.

Currently, I'm working on a 280 gr cast load for the Henry 41.
Then a month back I bought a 268 gr mold so I will work that up shortly.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Mistered wrote:A portion of a post I made in another thread about LE ammo. Caliber is different but the effect is the same:
My opinion of the LeverEvolution ammo is it is an answer to a problem that does not exist. It was designed for hunting and while it might show some advantages for this I do not believe there are enough to overcome the additional cost and potential poor accuracy in a particular rifle.
The the 30-30 has 'built in' limitations by virtue of the design of the rifle it was ORIGINALLY made for and most understand this and work within those parameters instead of trying to eek out a little more distance with questionable ammo.
Pick (or reload) a round that shoots well in your rifle and practice at the distance you plan to use it for and you will be ahead in both money and satisfaction.
This

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 am

Vaquero wrote: Took one doe with it at 135 yds.
I like my cast loads much better.. Heck I still have over half of that box of ammo, and that's been 5, or 6 years ago.
Couple years ago I bought 100 rounds of the 35 Rem. LEVERevolution, still in the safe. If I ever need the brass to reload, then I'll shot 'em.

RP
So it seems like you might be a guy to ask about cast bullets. I have AE 158 gr snfp, Leverevolution 140 gr, and some HSM cast flat point 180 gr in the ammo can for my new .357. What would you use as a deer round? I’ve heard the cast bullets (these are hot bear loads) could be too much of a straight through with no expansion deal. Thoughts?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Redthies wrote:
Vaquero wrote: Took one doe with it at 135 yds.

RP
So it seems like you might be a guy to ask about cast bullets. I have AE 158 gr snfp, Leverevolution 140 gr, and some HSM cast flat point 180 gr in the ammo can for my new .357. What would you use as a deer round? I’ve heard the cast bullets (these are hot bear loads) could be too much of a straight through with no expansion deal. Thoughts?
Thanks, :lol: I'm by no means an expert, but
in the past few years I have gained a lot of respect for the ole lead bullets.
just in the past couple years, 41 mag, 44 mag, 35 Rem, & Marlin 444
As a matter of fact the only rifle that I really shoot jacketed stuff in is my Marlin 308 MX.
But with the 357 and the larger sized game up there as opposed to down here,
you may want something that expands some.
I think any will do the job as long as you do yours, Good luck with your hunt.
I have a good load for a 180 gr cast that shoots very well out of my Rossi. But
I killed a nice 8 point with it the first year I had it with just a 158 gr swc.

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Gracias Vaquero. I have 158 gr jsp and Leverevolution 140 gr. I’ll see which the rifle likes better!
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 am

Redthies wrote:Gracias Vaquero. I have 158 gr jsp and Leverevolution 140 gr. I’ll see which the rifle likes better!
Good luck sir, and let us know which it prefers.
What model 357 do you own?

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 am

Vaquero wrote:
Redthies wrote:Gracias Vaquero. I have 158 gr jsp and Leverevolution 140 gr. I’ll see which the rifle likes better!
Good luck sir, and let us know which it prefers.
What model 357 do you own?

RP
BBS Carbine. Same as this threads title but with easier to find ammo. I shot the AE 158s and the HSM 180 grain bear loads today. Just a few rounds of each to see if I could get it in a 4-5” circle at 60 yards free handed. I put 4 out of 5 of the 158s inside a 4” circle and 3 of the 180s. That’s without really trying at all, and shooting as fast as I could cycle it. Which wasn’t very fast as the first round out of the tube would not feed with either ammo. 5 rounds loaded in the mag each time. I wasn’t thrilled with that I must say, and will investigate further...
0 x

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Last year, I wrote about my experience with factory loaded 190g. FTX in my Henry BBS and Ruger, SBHH (both scoped). Pistol at 25 yds. and rifle at 50 yds. Both shot patterns not groups. I reloaded with the same 190g. FTX bullets with Lil Gun powder. What a difference, the pistol- 7/8" ( 6 shots) and rifle- 1 ragged hole (3 shots). Both were shot off a bench / bags. The 41 mag is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, especially out of a Henry.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 am

Reality is in a pistol caliber rifle a hard cast bullet may not give up much to a jacketed bullet do to the fact of unreliable expansion. The jacketed bullet can of course be loaded to a higher velocity than cast but pistol bullets loose velocity rapidly and expansion may not be consistent, if at all even with a jacketed bullet. Some of the new hard cast mfgs. are now guaranteeing no leading at velocities previously unheard of with soft cast bullets and plated bullets can be loaded to nearly maximum velocities. With deer size game, at reasonable range and good bullet placement a hard cast or plated bullet will most likely be nearly as (or as) effective as a jacketed bullet.
0 x