Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001T Trigger Mod DO NOT CUT SPRING

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

H001T Trigger Mod DO NOT CUT SPRING

Post by henry22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 am

Scrap everything in my last post, and the original which I've just deleted. After having my rifle's sear and hammer surfaces polished professionally by a smith, AND using the cut trigger spring, I've just discovered that the trigger WILL fire, even though the 1/4 cock safety transfer bar is engaged.

Since I'm always shooting at the range, I never need to use the safety feature on the rifle. I typically load 1 round at a time, and when I do load the magazine tube, I'm shooting all 15/16 rounds in succession.

But this week, I had the 1/4 cock engaged, and I pulled the trigger, and it went CLICK. OOPS. The rifle wasn't loaded, I was just trying it to see if it worked, and it DOES NOT WORK.

I dis-assembled yesterday, removed the cut spring, and installed the stock spring with all 7 coils. Now the 1/4 safety feature works as it should, and the trigger pull is only marginally heavier.

Please don't follow my instructions on cutting the spring, I don't think it's a safe thing to do.

Thanks.
Last edited by henry22 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: H001T Trigger Mod COMPLETED!

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 am

very interesting .... thanks for the continued updates and looking forward to your coming reports
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice...glad to see someone has done this.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm

It's actually not much of a chore. (Excluding stretching the original spring and cutting 2 coils) My gunsmith did the bulk of the work, the polishing of the sear and hammer made a HUGE difference. Changing out the trigger spring was the other part. It just makes for a reasonably lighter pull.

If any of you guys are interested, I'll take the other spring he gave me, and get it measured by a machinist I know;

Outside diameter of the spring,
overall length,
spacing between each coil,
number of coils
guage of spring wire etc.

Then maybe you can find a factory replacement from a spring supplier or fastener supplier. I just find that it made everything feel more natural and responsive. I'm really happy with the feel.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 am

Those are some light trigger pulls. I think most can handle a couple of pounds of trigger pull as long as it breaks cleanly and consistently; which was probably achieved by the polishing?
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 am

Congratulations on your 'new' trigger. Nothing can spoil a good day at the range faster than a heavy trigger, but I have to say that the trigger on both of my Henry's has been excellent. It must be the luck of the draw.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am

I think it is the luck of the draw too. My CZ had a very nasty grindy feeling trigger. I purchased a YODAVE trigger kit, had my smith install it, polishing the sear and hammer surfaces etc, and he took that trigger from a 3 pounds + gritty feel, down to a slick, VERY short breaking 1 pound trigger. If you're trying to target shoot, and hit small things, the trigger is really important I've discovered.
1 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am

Any idea where I might find such a spring? I have a new .22Mag with a powerful spring/trigger pull - sure would like to lighten it to your weight.
Thanks,
Michael
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:49 am

Your way of doing this is far better than the way I've been doing them. I've always suspected a different spring might be a big help. Next time I'm at ACE hardware I'm going to have a Henry trigger spring in my pocket.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Re: H001T Trigger Mod DO NOT CUT SPRING

Post by henry22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 pm

I went as far as taking the original Henry trigger spring to a custom spring and industrial fastener place in my city. They couldn't match it exactly. The guy at the counter measured every aspect of the spring, outer coil diameter, wire guage, overall length etc. He said, "that's a custom spring probably sent out to tender to a number of companies. Henry probably chose the company who got the contract to make a million plus of those trigger springs, for that sole purpose. I mean, basically, it's a compression spring, but the sizing is a bit unique.

Here are the exact measurements for the factory Henry H001T & H001M trigger springs:

OUTER DIAMETER: 0.29"
WIRE DIAMETER: 0.05"
OAL (OVERALL LENGTH): 2.39"

I don't think the inner diameter was measured, because the outer diameter is 0.29", the inner diameter by default, would be whatever it needed to be, based on that outer diameter.

DO NOT CUT THE TRIGGER SPRING! It's unsafe, and I advise NOT to do it.
0 x