Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Hawkeye At The Range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger Hawkeye At The Range

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I’ve had my new Hawkeye Standard in 30-06 for about 3 weeks now, and have worked up some loads for it. So far, it seems to like the ammo I have fed it. The biggest “issue” so far is the guy behind the trigger. I have been struggling to shoot the rifle well. It’s clearly capable of good accuracy, but I need to shoot better. I can do 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch three shot groups at 100 yards with no problem. Getting to that elusive “MOA,” is the challenge. I was able to get a 3/4 mic group the other day which is a breakthrough. It was done with 168 grain Hornady HPBT match bullets and 47 grains of IMR4064.

So far I really like my new rifle. To be honest, I’m not sure why I am insisting on trying to make a hunting rifle into a benchrest rifle. In fact, every last shot I’ve taken with it, even including my first shots to zero my scope, would have killed a deer.

Still, it’s a challenge to try to shoot small groups.
55FCE23F-41C7-4995-9045-157E7A9F6DD2.jpeg
55FCE23F-41C7-4995-9045-157E7A9F6DD2.jpeg (272.78 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
E2F38D4C-429C-4554-9F13-20C6DD3B39BA.jpeg
E2F38D4C-429C-4554-9F13-20C6DD3B39BA.jpeg (208.74 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
4 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Ruger Hawkeye At The Range

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 pm

I have no doubt that you will dial that beauty in and find the load that works best for it.
I have the same affliction with taking a gun that I can shoulder and hit exactly where I aim. Then want the next ten rounds to hit the same small hole.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Have you played with the torque on that forward action screw, the one that goes in at an angle? Why Ruger went with that is a mystery to me, but the 77s and the No 1s I've had all responded to getting just the right torque in that bolt and the other action bolts, as well. Also, have you done any trigger tuning? The 77 is a very easy trigger to tune. You're right, though. Back in Jack O'Connors day, inch and a half at 100 yards was considered the benchmark for accuracy with a bolt hunting rifle, even with Jack and his beloved Model 70s. Somewhere along the line, probably because of the all the self-appointed internet "experts" we have, today, a hunting rifle rifle is now considered mediocre if it doesn't magically do an inch or less.

By the way, I really enjoyed the 77 I had. It was in 257 Roberts. It was nothing fancy, but just a good, basic bolt gun, the kind you could shoot and enjoy for a lifetime.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:16 am

Doesnt look bad ditto. Just an FYI I had some good luck with 4350 in one I developed a load for that a friend of mine couldnt get to shoot with factory ammo. Just in case you have some of it. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 am

Looking good. Keep on shootin'.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 am

Ditto, that is some good shooting right there.

Because this thread sparked my interest, I tried to find the definition of a MOA rifle and really couldn't find a minimum amount of shots beyond "An ‘MOA’, or Minute of Angle, in relation to firearm accuracy refers to the capability that a firearm has to consistently deliver a grouping of shots at a particular distance.

Just to be the "devil's advocate" here for a second, is a three shot group enough to qualify as a sub moa rifle? What say you all?

To me it's that 4th and 5th shot that is a, well you know :D

Again this is about education, not diminishing some great shooting and accuracy.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am

Henry88 wrote:Ditto, that is some good shooting right there.

Because this thread sparked my interest, I tried to find the definition of a MOA rifle and really couldn't find a minimum amount of shots beyond "An ‘MOA’, or Minute of Angle, in relation to firearm accuracy refers to the capability that a firearm has to consistently deliver a grouping of shots at a particular distance.

Just to be the "devil's advocate" here for a second, is a three shot group enough to qualify as a sub moa rifle? What say you all?

Again this is about education, not diminishing some great shooting and accuracy.
In my opinion and my experience, if you shoot enough ammo and types of ammo, most guns will, sooner or later, get three shots to group in an inch by accident. Have done it with a number of poor shooting rifles. That sure doesn't make them MOA guns. It's why I do't put much stock into manufacturer's MOA guarantees based on three shots.

Five shots are a more reliable indicator, but a gun that can do five shots in an inch every third range trip is still not an MOA gun in my book. For me, personally, a true MOA gun is a gun that will do five shots in an inch with its favorite ammo on a regular basis when conditions are at least reasonable. Such guns are a lot rarer than people think.

Beyond that, though, so what if your rifle isn't an MOA shooter? This current obsession with a rifle having to be an MOA shooter to be any good is a recent thing, part marketing hype and part internet lore. In Jack O'Connor's day, no one expected an out of the box sporter to be an MOA shooter. In fact, a gun that would do an inch and half was regarded as a very accurate hunting gun, one to be prized and valued. I'd have no hesitation taking such a gun or even a 2" shooter big game hunting.
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Henry88 wrote:Ditto, that is some good shooting right there.

In my opinion and my experience, if you shoot enough ammo and types of ammo, most guns will, sooner or later, get three shots to group in an inch by accident. Have done it with a number of poor shooting rifles. That sure doesn't make them MOA guns. It's why I do't put much stock into manufacturer's MOA guarantees based on three shots.

Five shots are a more reliable indicator, but a gun that can do five shots in an inch every third range trip is still not an MOA gun in my book. For me, personally, a true MOA gun is a gun that will do five shots in an inch with its favorite ammo on a regular basis when conditions are at least reasonable. Such guns are a lot rarer than people think.

Beyond that, though, so what if your rifle isn't an MOA shooter? This current obsession with a rifle having to be an MOA shooter to be any good is a recent thing, part marketing hype and part internet lore. In Jack O'Connor's day, no one expected an out of the box sporter to be an MOA shooter. In fact, a gun that would do an inch and half was regarded as a very accurate hunting gun, one to be prized and valued. I'd have no hesitation taking such a gun or even a 2" shooter big game hunting.
Thanks for the reply NCG, and probably the best explanation of the subject on the internet.

Again, this is not about the OP, our friend ditto who's thread I've highjacked :D

He is following his own passions and setting his personal goals, but there is a wide disparity on the internet about what is a "group", etc. which I find interesting. I thought I would find a sanctioning body defining a group, but my quick search yielded non.

For RR a group is about 100 shots :lol:
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:19 pm

And all in the black, too, probably from the back of his horse. Our favorite cowboy, around here.
3 x

wvhills
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wvhills » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm

nice shooting, nothing wrong with that..
0 x
"you don't quit playing because you grow old;
you grow old because you quit playing"