Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Ammo Recommendation

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: .357 Ammo Recommendation

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:52 am

Have some of each - Hornady 158 gr XTP and MagTech 158 gr FN - on order. Found the Hornady for $16.99/box of 25, so could have been worse.

Once I get all this in hand and sorted out, I'll post up in Range Reports if it's anything worth posting about.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am

ESquared wrote:
Once I get all this in hand and sorted out, I'll post up in Range Reports if it's anything worth posting about.
I found most days at the range are good days. Even for the best, there is some room for improvement. Keep shooting. It will all work out. Once you reach you peak, try something different.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 am

Shooting is fun period. Love being outdoors practicing, working out technique and tuning of sights. Keep it up and enjoy being there.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am

GFK wrote:
ESquared wrote:
I found most days at the range are good days. Even for the best, there is some room for improvement. Keep shooting. It will all work out. Once you reach you peak, try something different.
Mags wrote:Shooting is fun period. Love being outdoors practicing, working out technique and tuning of sights. Keep it up and enjoy being there.
Absolutely right, fellers! This has been a great time so far, thanks to the generosity and spirit of the likes of you and others on the forum who are able and willing to share their expertise, experience and opinions.

Thanks again to all of you.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Good ammo suggestions so far from all the Henry Folk.
I've shot a variety of XTP brands out of my BB .357, and these two are possibly already on your next ammo shopping list. Between these two, my rifle is partial to the FM ammo.

Fiocchi 158gr Extrema XTP HP
Freedom Munitions 158gr XTP

The ammo I and my Big Boy particularly like is Black Hills 158gr JHP. I would use it when next out on deer hunt.

I agree with GFK. Shooting your Carbine will tell the end of the story.
GFK wrote:Once I get all this in hand and sorted out, I'll post up in Range Reports if it's anything worth posting about.
Next fall, ESquared, everyone will look forward to viewing your deer harvest photos! Have fun getting there. ;)
2 x

~Пока~

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 am

check out buffalo bore as well, pricey but good ammo, and btw im jealous because n missouri hunting is enjoyable, if you get from say maysville and east towards kirksville and north to the iowa line you can find some whitetail/muley crosses, they will be a bit darker and bigger. and they are all corn feed up there,

and since mo is the show me state i vote you send us all a bit of proof :) and im calling dibbs on the tenderloin

Troy
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Hornady actually make 2 158gr XTP bullets, a hollow point and a flat point.
The FP is designed to be tougher and hold together better at rifle velocities, I use mainly cast now in mine but the bullet that would be top of my list to try if I went back to jacketed would be the 180gr XTP.

I think Hornady only load the HP 158gr XTP so the above is pretty much worthless info when it comes to factory ammo.
0 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I tend to like the heavier bullets for good penetration....I used the Federal premium with 180g Swift bullets to kill 3 deer last Fall. All were one shot kills at about 50, 60, and 70 yards. Two shots were broadside and one angling away...did not get complete penetration on any. I prefer complete penetration for a better blood trail if needed. These cartridges are pricy but I only use them for hunting. I don’t load .357...maybe I should; the 180g xtp mentioned above sounds like something that I would like.
0 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm

I tend to like the heavier bullets for good penetration....I used the Federal premium with 180g Swift bullets to kill 3 deer last Fall. All were one shot kills at about 50, 60, and 70 yards. Two shots were broadside and one angling away...did not get complete penetration on any. I prefer complete penetration for a better blood trail if needed. These cartridges are pricy but I only use them for hunting. I don’t load .357...maybe I should; the 180g xtp mentioned above sounds like something that I would like. Here are a couple pics of hearts and a deer...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I'd already noted above my preference to deer hunt with Black Hills 158gr JHP. But reading your comments re. a heavier bullet, plus last year's good harvest results of three deer using the Federal, give me pause to think. I have a stock of the Federal Vital Shok 180gr Swift A-Frame JHP ammo. I got it early this year thinking about trying the heavier bullet and maybe using for deer. I just forgot about it until your post. :oops: Think I'll take it along next range outing to compare it and the BHA out of my Carbine.

BTW, in your first photo what is the knife you have there? I'm looking at getting another knife, which I'd like to take with me this fall/winter when hunting either deer or rabbits. I like the looks of your handle. Is it more rounded and thicker? If so, is it also comfortable and solid-to-use? Looks to be. And what is the blade length? It's a very similar configuration to the woods knife I'm considering, which has a fully-rounded handle. Would like to find out what yours is....thanks.
PT7
TNman wrote:I tend to like the heavier bullets for good penetration....I used the Federal premium with 180g Swift bullets to kill 3 deer last Fall. All were one shot kills at about 50, 60, and 70 yards. Two shots were broadside and one angling away...did not get complete penetration on any. I prefer complete penetration for a better blood trail if needed. These cartridges are pricy but I only use them for hunting. I don’t load .357...maybe I should; the 180g xtp mentioned above sounds like something that I would like. Here are a couple pics of hearts and a deer...
0 x

~Пока~