Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Gun Scope Rant

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Lever Gun Scope Rant

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Henry88 wrote:
ESquared wrote:Thanks again to NCG for the recommendation on the Leu VX Freedom 1.5-4X20.
That is darn near perfection E^2, but why don't they make scopes in gloss any more?
HA!, it's all "Matte Black" anymore. I think they figured out that glossy black will scare the deer away!

Thanks for the endorsement, though, and your encouragement along the way!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Henry88 wrote:
ESquared wrote:Thanks again to NCG for the recommendation on the Leu VX Freedom 1.5-4X20.
That is darn near perfection E^2, but why don't they make scopes in gloss any more?
stealth fighter mode and besides matte black is cool and professional looking. gloss is just glamor showy.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:12 am

Gotta be tacticool, you know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 am

but why don't they make scopes in gloss any more?
Back when scope tubes were steel they were blued like gun barrels. After aluminum replaced steel powder coating and anodizing replaced bluing but I suspect most scopes are matte or satin finish now due to less light reflectivity or glare over the brighter, high gloss finishes.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 am

ESquared wrote:
Redthies wrote:
That looks right at home there! Where did you source your leather lever cover? T may have to pick one of those up for my SGC.
Pioneer Gun Works. Put one on my SGC as well (longer version). Great video on how to "install" it, too.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/leather-goods-1/
I actually found PGW via google not long after I posted that, (and a few other people wanting 5x as much for the same product!). Do they only do the one color of leather (brown) for the 3.5”? I like the brown, just didn’t see any way to pick color and see they have black in other sizes and wouldn’t like that as much...
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:13 am

As far as I know, they only come in brown and in the 2 "standard" sizes (Regular and Long), but they'll make a custom length if you want them to, just call.

I didn't have a choice on color, and don't see any of them in Black, so I'm at a loss to answer your question, sorry.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Mistered wrote:
Back when scope tubes were steel they were blued like gun barrels. After aluminum replaced steel powder coating and anodizing replaced bluing but I suspect most scopes are matte or satin finish now due to less light reflectivity or glare over the brighter, high gloss finishes.
So that's it, cause they're no longer steel.

Thanks, Mr Ed..............

I wonder how much of this tactical push by the manufacturers is based on cheaper materials? :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that if it holds up..............
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm

There MIGHT be some steel scopes still being made - if so they would be on extremely high end models but I don't know for sure.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Henry88 wrote:
Mistered wrote:

Thanks, Mr Ed..............

I wonder how much of this tactical push by the manufacturers is based on cheaper materials? :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that if it holds up..............
I'd say it's more driven by weight savings and corrosion resistance of aluminum.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 pm

This isn't much of an offering, but I moved from a Vortex Diamondback, 4-12X40 on an H001M to a Leupold Freedom 3-9X30.

The Diamondback wasn't holding zero, so sent it back to Vortex. They repaired it apparently and said it was defective. While I was waiting for the scope to come back from warranty, I couldn't hold off from shooting, since the H001M was the only rifle I had, so I splurged and bought a Leupold Freedom, 3-9X40, and never looked back.

So now, the Diamondback has made its way onto the new H001T (octagon 22LR) that I bought a few weeks ago. I've been shooting hundreds of rounds at the range with this new setup, and today, something changed the game for me. I was aiming at the bullseye, and once every few shots, I hit red, then high and right, and low etc, this setup was behaving just like it did when the DB was on the H001M months ago. Keep in mind, I'm using the full 12X magnification on the DB, so I can see small potatoes spiked on top of the target board, as closely as possible, and yet I never miss with the Freedom 3-9 when it's on full power on the 22 mag, but miss regularly with the DB on full power on the 22LR. — ???

I've been shooting these small potatoes at 50 yards for the past week or so using the "repaired" DB, hitting, missing, hitting bullseye, missing. It must be ME that's missing, not the scope and certainly not the rifle or ammo (BLAZER 22LR)

Out of frustration I turned the magnification all the way down to 4, just to see what it looked like through the scope. The potatoes and targets looked painfully small (not what I'm used to) and yet, the reticle and FOV was so much clearer, sharper, I thought why not try shooting this way.

To my amazement, I hit ever single small potato, one after the other, and then even smaller pieces and remnants of potatoes that clung to the toothpicks they were stuck on.

Instantly, the rifle was accurate, the cross-hairs didn't shake when I breathed, and the sight picture seemed much more still and clear.

Question:

1: Why and how would the DB be so inaccurate on full magnification, and extremely accurate at the lowest magnification?
What's causing that hit and miss deal when I'm dialed up in magnification, yet when I'm dialed down to 4-6 power, it's bang on?
(Knowing that I was absolutely dead still and the rifle was well rested.)

Is that a parallax issue because the scope has variable power? Or is it a flaw in the reticle/mechanics of the DB?

Please explain if you can. Thanks
0 x