Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

rant

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

rant

Post by The Wiz » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 pm

I fish from the bank at different lakes and ponds and I am sick and tired of the crap that I find on the shores. From fishing line, tackle, empty worm containers, bottles and food wrappers. I have found discarded clothing, shoes, etc. As a Boy Scout, I was always taught to leave your area cleaner than you found it. Apparently, that is not taught at majority of house holds anymore. I am always picking up crap but it does not make any dent in what I see. Any what drives me absolutely bonkers is there are trash cans all over the freaking place! Today took the cake. Two teen boys fishing with father and when they moved on, food wrappers , plastic bottles littered the place. How are the boys going to learn if the dad is head pig. Ok, I am done. I feel better.
4 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: rant

Post by dave77 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Really doesn't surprise me. I live alongside a nice little creek, down the road there's a low rent area where houses were allowed to be built very close to the creek (now the state and county have minimum setbacks). A lot of them use the creek in their backyard as a dumping ground. They had a Make a Difference Day clean up a couple of times and you'd be amazed at what we pulled out of the creek. It was mostly a waste of time as we just made room for more garbage.

If they will do it in their own backyards why would it be any different when they are away from home.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I once hiked 3/4 of a mile in to a mountain lake. And found a dirty diaper rolled up left on the shore. There ought a be a law...Oh wait, there is.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Iron Eyes Cody, an Italian-American who lived his life as if he were a Native American (married a NA woman, adopted two NA sons, and wore traditional NA clothing for most of his life) appeared in an iconic 1971 television PSA that coincided with Earth Day to tell the story of the impact of personal pollution. It made a lasting impression on me (so did being a Boy Scout). Ironically, it was produced by corporations whose product's packaging were and continue to be discarded by thoughtless, careless people all across the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm66Ww6qTpA

If you can pack it in, you can pack it out.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Leave only hoof prints behind is how I always try to keep it. But we have the same boneheads here too.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 pm

There was a time many decades ago, before garbage collection came to rural areas, garbage was buried and/or dumped in rural rivers and creeks. Just the way it was back then. The place we live in now is from that time period, one previous owner before us, now deceased. When we bought, the place was overgrown by blackberry and english ivy. Took five years to get the place somewhat cleaned up, the heavy lifting part. Even today 25 years later we're still at it in some places. The house overlooks a creek and I think a lot of stuff in the day went off the back porch and onto the creek bank and into the water. All sorts of glass, plastic, bones, tires, car frames, mattress springs, batteries, oil cans, gas cans, beer cans, oil drums, milk jugs, on and on. Many trips to the landfill cleaning this place up.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Iron Eyes Cody, along with many other folk today, would agree with you, RR.
Sure would save many tears and rant laments...
RanchRoper wrote:Leave only hoof prints behind is how I always try to keep it.
0 x

~Пока~

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 am

Having spent two and a half decades diving the local rivers, I can tell you that nothing surprised me to find on the bottom of a river or creek. I could tell a few stories about that.

Of course, I was looking for the "trash" that someone threw away or lost 100+ years ago. I was quite happy to find soda bottles that had been thrown into the river before the Civil War, or as my wife's grandmother used to call it "That late, great unpleasantness".
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am

clovishound wrote:... nothing surprised me to find on the bottom of a river or creek.
Likewise. The Tualatin River used to be a mess where it passed through farm land. The river and river banks were littered with junk from generations past. Everything from old farm equipment, wagon parts, leather harness, rotting lumber, tires, first and 2nd generation refrigerator carcass, model t bodies and the like. Took years for the Tualatin River Keepers and other sponsors to get parts of it at least cosmetically cleaned up. No doubt still stuff hidden in black berry bramble, buried in the river bank or submerged. There are places yet off limits to canoers and rafters because of hidden dangers.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:37 pm

A friend of ours, we first met on our kayak fishing website, is always going to new remote fishing holes. He asks permission when he can locate the owners and if he can't he'll drag his kayak in and fish the spots if it's accessible for the yak, but will hike back and fish from the bank if it's not. He always takes a trash bag with him and never just picks up HIS trash. His rule has always been, "Leave it cleaner than you found it." He uses Google Earth to find likely spots and found a nice lake hidden behind a power plant, hiked in from the back side and was having a great time fishing when the power company security folks showed up. The lake was outside the power company fences and he didn't know it belonged to the power company. They took him into "custody" and took him to the "Chief of Security's" office.

They were at the top floor of the power plant and you could see the entire lake from the bank of windows in the office. The Chief told our friend that they don't allow fishing on the lake at all, and when HE spotted him on the lake, he sent the boys to pick him up. They quit letting folks fish the lake because they got tired of all the trash everyone left behind. My friend told him that HE always left the locations cleaner than he found them, in fact he had picked up two bags of trash, BEFORE he started fishing. The Chief buzzed his secretary and had them call the "detaining" officer back in and asked him about it. "Yup, he had two large garbage bags filled with trash sitting beside his tackle box waiting to be carried out... he used the same line on us, Sir." ;)

He sent the officer away, and sat and talked with our guy for about an hour. When our guy left, he not only had permission to fish, he had a non-expiring gate pass for the power plant, and a launch permit for the maintenance ramp at the lake so he could fish the lake from his kayak. Less than a dozen employees had permission to fish that lake. 8-)

Our friend is a conductor for a Rail Road running out of Ohio, so he isn't in town much. He only gets to fish there a few times a year, but he'll get a text now and then when he does fish the lake... "Good to see you back." He still fishes trash out of the lake, and off the shoreline. He fills a trash bag he keeps in the kayak. :P
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.