Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ammo --- a good online resource tool

All things reloading here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Ammo --- a good online resource tool

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Decided to move ESquared's questions to this Forum. In my mind, some Henry Folk may not look for such questions under the "New Member Intro" sub-forum.

Several years ago when there was the last ammo drought, I had a lot of difficulty finding .22 WMR ammo for my Henry H001M. I emailed Henry's President, Anthony Imperato, and asked a question I had about my rifle. I also mentioned to him that the .22 WMR ammo was hard to find. So he wrote back and pointed me to this online ammo resource. I use it a lot: http://www.gunbot.net/ Thanks again to Anthony for this help!! :) His way of helping me be a "satisfied Henry customer" with this source of the ammo, which I needed for my rifle.

As far as my finding the ammo my BBS .357 Carbine likes, I've only tried four .357 magnum brands from my stock:
~~~Black Hills 158gr JHP
~~~Fiocchi 142gr FMJTC
~~~Fiocchi 158gr JHP
~~~Freedom Munitions 158gr XTP
~~~HSM 158gr PHP

So far, I've shot approximately 100 rounds of these brands through this new rifle. All chambered quite well. Had minimal FTFs, and zero FTEs. If I recall, I may have had 1 or 2 FTFs with the Freedom ammo. And I think that could be the shooter getting to know the lever action on this new Henry!

So far, both I and the Carbine like the BHA best. (Definitely could be a white-tail deer hunting round). One brand I'll no longer shoot is the Fiocchi 142gr FMJTC. I had too many FTFs with this stuff, and I think it's due to the truncated cone bullet configuration. The TC shape is more pronounced for this bullet, and seems to hang up on the feed ramp more than other configs.

Since I don't reload, it's part of my shooting fun to hunt for ammo most-liked by the Henry.
That's all I have this go-around. Trust the online ammo resource proves to be helpful.
PT7

ESquared wrote:Question for any/all of you with the .357/.38 regarding ammo.

Any particular brands to avoid in terms of feeding/ejection, or does it all pretty much go BANG?

And, since I've not shopped these calibers in a while, what's good online source for .357/.38?
2 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Ammo --- a good online resource tool

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Nice resource! Thank you for sharing this.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 pm

thanks for posting another source .... we use Ammo Seek ====> https://ammoseek.com/ .... its good to have a second program
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 pm

45 Colt is not in abundance in Canada, mostly because I have most of it now... :)

I shoot Winchester, Black Hills, Sellier & Bellot, Remington and Western Munitions. I have some Canadian made "Wolf" ammo coming this week. My rifle shoots it all quite well.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 am

The ammo shortage almost seems like a distant dream now. Still not sure exactly what happened; would love to know entire true story.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:40 pm

In the "CCI Mini Mag 22LR, 40 gr, Copper Plated Round Nose?" thread discussion yesterday (7/7/18), BigAl again mentioned the AmmoSeek.com resource. Last night I checked it out since I have very little .45LC ammo for my 1873 Cattleman, and wondered if it might be comparable, or less, than the HSM rounds I've bought at Cabelas. Thought I'd give a mini-report on the comparison shopping I made, and also that I did order 100 rounds through an internet shop.

I found Aguila .45LC 200gr LFN available at Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. My search was looking for 200gr ammo, no higher grain. The Aguila fit the bill.

So I compared the different purchases for bottom line costs. I now have bought two 50-round boxes at each place.
~~The Cabelas in KCKS included cost of two 50-round boxes and KS tax (HSM).
~~The Sportsmans included cost of two 50-round boxes plus shipping and no tax (Aguila).

The biggest factor was the lower cost of the Aguila ammo for the same grain and RN bullets. I also paid particular attention to the internet shipping fee, and this shop had about the lowest fee I've seen in a while. It all came out in the wash that the internet purchase was $12.64 less....which is quite okay in my books!! :D The .45LC ammo is somewhat spendy, so this was a good savings. I even checked it against Gunbot.com, and Sportsman came out best cost.

Thanks to all the Folk who have suggested AmmoSeek.com. It work for me this time, and I'll keep on checking there.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Still not sure exactly what happened; would love to know entire true story.
If we are talking about .22 ammo The 'true' story can be summed up in two words - hording and scalping. After the Sandy Hook shooting the .22 ammo stayed at normal levels for a while - then suddenly disappeard in a very short amount of time. Then the scalping started with people selling bricks for $50 & more. Turns out most of what was getting bought up was by people did not have regular work schedules and could go Stand in the lines at retail stores on ammo delivery days and buy all they could. The stores responded with limits but the lines still continued with people still buying their limit. The stores then tried other tactics such as keeping the shipments in storage and only putting out a only a few bricks at random times to stop the lines and this helped. Throughout all of this however shipments to the stores were reduced and random as this was a nationwide problem. It was also reported some retail store employees were buying up a lot of the ammo themselves unil the stores implemented policies to prevent this. Then came 2015 with the impending 'choice' we need to make every four years and the potential of it possibly having been someone with decidedly negative opinions about guns caused what little ammo was beginning to show up to be bought up as quickly as it hit the shelf reigniting the hording and scalping. All of this combined dramatically reduced ammo availability to nearly zero. While .22 was most affected I did hear of some complaints about the 'Big Five' (.45, 9mm. .38, .357 and .380) as well as some common rifle calibers being essentially non-existent during this time - .30-30 being an example with some stores having none on the shelves for years. The common 'black rifle' calibers were non-existant as well. I actually supplied a friend of mine with a couple hundred .223 reloads as he was completely out and none was available.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am

Hording or stockpiling if you prefer, was the biggest reason for the ammo shortage. A small part of it may have been govt contracts, but that would have only been for certain cartridges. Most of us realized that we could no longer count on a local store to have ammunition available at anytime and sell it at a reasonable price. So, many of us started ordering much larger amounts online. And, of course, shipping costs are generally much more reasonable with orders of larger batches.

Before the shortages, it did not appear common for people to stockpile more than 20,000 rounds of ammunition. Or, at least they didn't seem to mention it. Now, that is commonly a low number. I like to be able to shoot often and not worry about ordering/buying ammunition or hand loading components at the last moment. I stock pile lots of bullets, powder, and ammunition for cartridges that I do not hand load. I need to now stockpile lots of primers.

I am testing some loads in 5 different cartridges with Sport Pistol and coated cast bullets from Missouri Bullet. If all of those combinations work well, then I'll stockpile more of that powder and bullets before the next shortage. History repeats itself. At some point there will be another shortage just like there will be another stock market, housing market, or perhaps even a second tulip bulb crash. Hopefully, those will be further into the future rather than sooner, but always impossible to predict with absolute certainty.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 am

DAVIDF wrote: I like to be able to shoot often and not worry about ordering/buying ammunition or hand loading components at the last moment. I stock pile lots of bullets, powder, and ammunition for cartridges that I do not hand load.
Me, too.

I'm a late comer to shooting sports. I got my first pistol permit in December, 2013 and purchased my very first firearm in May, 2014. It was a Henry H001, and I couldn't believe it at the time; but I bought the rifle at Cabela's and they didn't have any .22 ammunition to feed it. I was totally blindsided. I had no idea there was a shortage and found it very hard to believe that the most popular caliber in the world was unavailable to purchase. I came home with a gun and no way to shoot it.

After that, I found a computer app that accessed Walmart's daily ammo database, and I checked it first thing every morning. If it showed .22LR ammo in stock, I immediately drove the twenty minute commute to one store and/or forty minute commute to another. Sometimes I found it, more often it was already gone. Regardless, I did that for about 18 months and built an inventory of 10K rounds. I still have most of it, so I won't need to worry about finding it ever again.

I did the same with reloading components. After I bought my Lee Challenger reloading kit in the Fall of 2014, I couldn't find any powder anywhere. Now, I have a complete stock for more than 5K .357 magnum rounds. I'm likely set with that for the rest of my life, too.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I may have to start buying ammo online. It's getting more an more hit and miss getting .30-30 at the LGSs.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234