Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by BobGinVA » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:14 pm

I've got a 67 with the stainless steel rear sight...I've had it for ....I don't even know how long...bought it new way back when...If I'm not mistaken ( I could be) even the internal parts are stainless....however, it has one of the best single action trigger pulls I've got...rivals my 4 and 6" Model 19s...BobG in VA
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks every one for all the history and info. Plan to shoot it this week if my schedule allows it. You would think being retired I would have lots of spare time...not.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Plan to shoot it this week if my schedule allows it.
I got out this morning for a while - and while after testing many different bullet styles the X-treme 158 gr SWC is the winner for not only my Henry but my Mod 66 Smith! Loaded five in the Henry and carefully shot all and to my amazement I saw about a 1.5 " group through the binos on the target! Six in the 66 resulted in a vertical string, tight but climbing as I was probably limp wristing it. Regardless I have 500 of the X-treme bullets on the way!
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 pm

GFK wrote:I have the 65 model. And yes, the SA is sweet. I very seldom shoot it as DA. I guess I should. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks NCG for the history lesson.
I've found a 65-8 Police trade-in that looks interesting. ANybody know anything about this iteration of the S&W line? The models and "dash" configuration is something I understand, but I'm no student of it.

GFK, what's the back-story on yours? Is it a "dash- something"?

Here's the GB listing:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778693533
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 am

ANybody know anything about this iteration of the S&W line?
Basically the fixed sight version of the Mod 66 or the .357 version of the Mod 64.
What is the barrel length? If it happens to be a 3" BUY IT IMMEDIATELY - the 3" 65's are very rare. People who like carrying a revolver (but don't really care for the smaller 'J ' frame) have found the mod 65 3" a great choice - a bit larger frame, in .357 for the versatility makes it a win-win. Heck I may even look for one myself!
Either way a great choice.
The dash 8 is a high enough number to indicate probably the last change in the model before it was dropped out of production or became a 'lock' version - the 'bane' of the true S & W aficionados!
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 am

ESquared wrote:
GFK wrote:I have the 65 model. And yes, the SA is sweet. I very seldom shoot it as DA. I guess I should. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks NCG for the history lesson.
I've found a 65-8 Police trade-in that looks interesting. ANybody know anything about this iteration of the S&W line? The models and "dash" configuration is something I understand, but I'm no student of it.

GFK, what's the back-story on yours? Is it a "dash- something"?

Here's the GB listing:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778693533
Esquared, it is a 65-5, 3" .357 stainless steel. I am not recalling what the dash 5 is for now. It was some enhancement. I picked it up in 1991. I like it. It came with wood grips. I have changed them with the rubber ones that I ordered from S&W since then. Being in the Navy for 22 years, I did not get a chance to shoot it as often as I would like. Until recently, I still had ammo I picked up in the mid 90's. I may have shot about 600 +/- rounds through it. I ended up buying it based on a recommendation from a police officer. And, I have no complaints. My wife and daughter seems to like the DA. And, I like the SA. If I would buy one today? I think I would. I was looking at one for my wife. She does not want to put that much into one. So, I may pickup a rifle in .357 instead. :)
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Great on your purchase. I'm really enjoying shooting my (new to me) Model 31 in .32 S&W Long. Took it to the range Tuesday and ran 100 rounds through it. Reloading for another round soon this afternoon. I, too, really like shooting wheel guns and my next two purchases, after I get the .357 out of layaway, are the Ruger Single Six convertibles in .22lr/.22 WMR and the .45lc/.45 ACP guns. I can't decide which one to get first!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Let me help, Shakey. :) One of the Rugers I do regret selling off was that 45 Colt/45 auto full size Blackhawk. Terrific shooter with both cartridges, which a lot of convertible setups are not. Shot 45 auto like a match 1911. Could even digest 45 Colt Ruger only loads and though painful to shoot, they were still very accurate. Very versatile gun.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:08 pm

0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Tough decision. Both are very good looking firearms. The .22 would be less expensive to shoot, especially if it's something that would be shot a lot. I would prefer the larger .45 caliber for the sake of the larger caliber, but the cost of ammo would limit how much I would shoot it; as if that helps influence your tie-breaker decision.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234