Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small Game Carbine 22LR In the House!

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Small Game Carbine 22LR In the House!

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Picked up my SGC (22LR/L/S) today and so far it's all I'd hoped for and more!

Brought it home and did a quick break-down for cleaning and inspection, and to say the fit is tight is probably an understatement.

For example, the receiver cover and the bolt came off of the top of the receiver as one piece; had to do some gentle prying to get the two parts apart. It was also dry as a bone almost everywhere, so some Ballistol wipe-down got the pieces and parts working better together.

The residue in the barrel made it clear that it had been test-fired, but the dirtiest place of all was the mag tube!

Love the feel and balance of this model; to me, the heavier octagonal barrel is perfectly offset by the shorter length of the carine, resulting in just the right combination of heft and maneuverability. Just seems "right" for a handy .22. And, how can you not live the Skinner on the back?

Will post pics after I get to the range tomorrow. The furniture is great, if unremarkable. If you didn't have to take the stock off to clean it, you'd hardly believe it's real wood, it's so perfectly finished and smooth. Have a nice little walnut "knot" back there that looks pretty cool.

Very happy camper for a guy who hasn't fired a shot with it yet!
7 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Small Game Carbine 22LR In the House!

Post by Petey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm

YEEEHA!!! Congratulations .
We want to see pics of that purdy little gun!

HAPPY SHOOTIN!
Petey.

BTW: your right, the mag tube is always in need of a good cleaning.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Congrats!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

The balance of the SGC is what makes it so special. The bolt should have slid forward and out. If you removed it down it is much harder.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Good for you. Looking forward to a range report.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Petey wrote:... the mag tube is always in need of a good cleaning.
Wonder why that is? I wouldn't expect much blow back getting past the bullet case in the chamber. The case doesn't go anywhere with the bolt up against it until the lever is cycled. Is most of the 'dirt/grim' left over from machining and assembly at the factory?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Yep : Proprietary production crud. Made in America! Haha
2 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Sir Henry wrote:The balance of the SGC is what makes it so special. The bolt should have slid forward and out. If you removed it down it is much harder.
I had the same thing occur the 1st time I took it apart. It was so tight that when I removed the cover it moved up a bit and took the bolt with it. Not to worry won't hurt anything, other than a scratch inside the cover that's not visible when the gun is together. It's a shooter for sure. Shoot it like you stole it.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Off to the range in the AM, life permitting! Am going to go with the standard brass bead to start with. With that shorter barrel, it just pops right out through the Peep.
Forgot to mention the large loop. Honestly don't notice a difference one way or the other, but I wasn't wearing gloves on this 100-degree day in KC!
This has me re-thinking the whole carbine set-up for my next Henry.
Also, sorry about the numerous typos above. Too enthused to proof-read, obviously!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Congrats, and glad you have joined the other Henry SGC owners of our Forum.
It is a very special rifle in the Henry corral.

As far as the Henry SGC wood, I guess I bumped into some really good MO wood on mine. Must be because I'm a wood nut. ;)
From another thread, these show the very nice wood and grains of my SGC. (I created and posted these gunstock photos two years ago. I'm taking a chance they will not distort/elongate like my recent photo posts have).

SGC stock right view
SGC_wood1_1526.jpg
SGC stock left view
SGC_wood2_1527.jpg
Not at all plain-Jane for this rifle model. I'd agree with your assessment of un-remarkable; but it still is a quality Henry!
Looking forward to your rifle photos and Range Report.....Enjoy. :)

ESquared wrote:Picked up my SGC (22LR/L/S) today and so far it's all I'd hoped for and more!

Brought it home and did a quick break-down for cleaning and inspection, and to say the fit is tight is probably an understatement.

For example, the receiver cover and the bolt came off of the top of the receiver as one piece; had to do some gentle prying to get the two parts apart. It was also dry as a bone almost everywhere, so some Ballistol wipe-down got the pieces and parts working better together.

The residue in the barrel made it clear that it had been test-fired, but the dirtiest place of all was the mag tube!

Love the feel and balance of this model; to me, the heavier octagonal barrel is perfectly offset by the shorter length of the carine, resulting in just the right combination of heft and maneuverability. Just seems "right" for a handy .22. And, how can you not live the Skinner on the back?

Will post pics after I get to the range tomorrow. The furniture is great, if unremarkable. If you didn't have to take the stock off to clean it, you'd hardly believe it's real wood, it's so perfectly finished and smooth. Have a nice little walnut "knot" back there that looks pretty cool.

Very happy camper for a guy who hasn't fired a shot with it yet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~