Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hand Engraving

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Hand Engraving

Post by jcch004dd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm

I have been learning to engrave for a few years now. I am retiring in December and plan to devote much of my time to improving my skills in this craft.
I'd post a photo, but I don't know how? A guidance to a newbie?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Hand Engraving

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm

jcch004dd wrote:I have been learning to engrave for a few years now. I am retiring in December and plan to devote much of my time to improving my skills in this craft.
I'd post a photo, but I don't know how? A guidance to a newbie?
Select the Full Editor and Preview option for posting. Look below the editing window for a Tab called Attachments. Select it. Upload your photo from your computer or phone. Then add a caption (if you like) and choose to Place Inline. The picture will appear where the cursor is positioned in the Editing Window. You can make adjustments by choosing Preview to see your post first, then editing in the Editing Window. Good luck.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks CT_Shooter. I'll give it a try.
0 x

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 pm

My interest in engraving started with a Charles Daly Superior grade trap. My dad's favorite shotgun. It was the first engraved gun I'd ever seen. I've seen many more since then. One of the first decisions I made after deciding to try and learn the craft was to buy a book to study and learn from. Most experienced engravers say that we they were learning the craft there were few if any study guides. My experience has been a lot different. First, books are written to teach the basic information Second, books are written as photo essays to show good, bad and ugly examples of first attempts at the craft. My first book purchased was an NRA publication by Neil Hartliep "the basics of FIREARMS ENGRAVING. In my enthusiasm to learn as much as possible as soon as possible I bought a second book reported to be one of the best early books on engraving. The Art of Engraving by James B. Meek. My experience has taught me that I am a visual learner. The first thing I learned is that too much information is as bad as too little. Too many opportunities to shift from one topic to another without really learning the basics. Now with a little experience under my belt I would say the first thing to learn is tool sharpening.

More on this later..
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

jcch004dd wrote:... More on this later..
Please do. Love to hear more about your expanding skill and the story that goes with it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am

I'd like to see your work.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

If you are a tool using junkie, you can spend much hard-earned cash buying things you won’t really use much when you finally know what you are doing. I have considered these purchases part of the cost of an education. But really you don’t have to spend a lot of money to start. I am glad my learning curve advanced quite a bit before I actually retire. These cost after may have made me quit before I really got a good start, What I have spent on books, tooling and training would have easily funded one maybe even two very well engraved rifles by skilled professional engravers. With our access to the internet it doesn’t have to be a craft which you break the bank getting started,

More rambling of an old man learning a new craft. more later too.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

jcch004dd wrote:Now with a little experience under my belt I would say the first thing to learn is tool sharpening.

More on this later..
This is true in many crafts.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

In a previous post I mentioned sharpening being the first skill to work on tool steel comes in all shapes and sizes. It is easy to get caught up in all the differences, Don’t. Square blanks from 3/32, 1/8, 3/16 are available. I bought high speed steel drill blanks from Amazon because they are cheap and you will sharpen them a few times getting familiar with the process and the look of correctly sharpened steel tool blanks. The first grind is the 45 degree angle on the end of the graver called the face angle looking from top to bottom. The next grinds are done at the bottom of the face angle 15 degrees at 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right. The reason I can use round drill blanks is because I killed the fatted calf and purchased some grs QC tool holders and the duel angle sharpening fixture. I think it would be possible to center drill a piece of 5/16 square key stock so the drill blank could be affixed to it. And blocks of hard wood could cut to provide a angle guide for the face and the 2 heal cuts. Some day I may try it just to see if I can.

More rambling of an old man learning a new craft.
1 x

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Well I have been a little too busy to spend any time in the garage, I did however purchase another Hand engraved Henry. I have just added the 1st edition Golden boy to my collection.

the sn is GB00**5D I would like to know who the engraver was if this information is available?

I own two other engraved Henry(s) BB***7CD2 was engraved by Jaroslave Haluza and the other BB***6MD3 was engraved by
Seth Karlak. I checked who the engravers were shortly after purchasing the first two, My hope is there is some record or a sharp employee's memory concerning the this recent purchase, since it was actually the first Hand Engraved Henry.
0 x