Sharpening day

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Sharpening day

Post by daytime dave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 am

JEBar wrote:
daytime dave wrote:Pull the trigger on this one Mr. Bar, I'm glad I did.
good to hear it works ..... done and did .... Amazon should have one here on Monday .... I sincerely doubt any of my good knives will ever pass through it but we have plenty of working blades that will see it from time to time
Right. My good blades won't see it either. The best knives I have at camp will. Those are a set of Buck Empress Trio knives and a Sabatier Chef's knife. They came cheap off the Bay or out of a thrift store, so there isn't much investment there. They all will improve with this sharpener.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Gentlemen, appreciate your good suggestion.

I wrote a while ago that I still have difficulty sharpening a knife with the stones I have, and even with one pull-through sharpener. Glad to have read your chat about the Bavarian Edge last Thursday am.

I went to Lawrence, KS that same afternoon to take my daughter out for a birthday dinner. I got into town a little earlier, so while waiting for her to finish her work day, I walked some aisles in her wally world. Thought I'd see if they had one of the B.E. sharpeners on the shelf, and they did. I liked your positive comments about the product, so brought one home.

Wow! My 5" stainless steel Cuisinart kitchen knife is a sharp slicer once again! It was a gift several years ago from this same birthday daughter, and I've used it a lot. It used to slice off meat fat easily, and has chopped piles of veggies. Lately, it is quite faded since I almost daily cut up, slice & dice veggies....actually breathe in green peppers!

Anyway, for lunch today I cut open a green pepper, knowing this knife would have a tougher time getting through the outer skin. Then out with the B.E. sharpener. With just four or five pulls through the sharpener, the green pepper turned into soft butter!! This success deserves another "Wow!"

I'll be bringing back quite a number of my older kitchen knives with this tool. I agree with what you both have said --- I'll also not use it on my Victorinox blades or my Buck 119. As needed, I will leave those to a professional.

Thanks much for the good tip on this tool.............I'm a happy camper with it :) , and getting it at a decent price was good, too!

The Fallen Pepper and victorious Cuisinart blade
Sharp Cuisinart_DSCN2415.jpg
daytime dave wrote:
JEBar wrote:
daytime dave wrote:Pull the trigger on this one Mr. Bar, I'm glad I did.
good to hear it works ..... done and did .... Amazon should have one here on Monday .... I sincerely doubt any of my good knives will ever pass through it but we have plenty of working blades that will see it from time to time
Right. My good blades won't see it either. The best knives I have at camp will. ..... They all will improve with this sharpener.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 pm

good to hear the positive report .... we are camping this weekend and won't be home until tomorrow .... per Amazon, ours should be in the mail box when we get back
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

I had a funny surprise yesterday. I went over to visit my mother and do what ever was needed. In the course of things, she said to open a box and take out her new knife sharpener.

You guessed it, she ordered a Bavarian Edge. It was all on her own. I had never spoken to her about it and I know she doesn't read this, or any other forum. She asked that I sharpen a few kitchen knives. I was happy to do it because she never has a sharp knife. More than once I've used the bottom of a coffee cup to put a slight edge on a knife there. The B. E. needed more than four or five pulls on most all of them, but they were DULL. Now they are just how she requested, sharp, but not razors. I just held off on the number of finer strokes.

It does make a great kitchen knife sharpener.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

agree .... we just got home and as promised, the sharpener was in our mailbox .... first impression upon unpacking it, it is a bit heavier and more solidly built than (for $20) I anticipated .... I immediately set to sharpening 14 good quality, serrated Cutco steak & kitchen knives .... after that, I move to a 15 year old set of 8 (cheap) Tramontina steak knives .... their carbon steel blades are half serrated and half regular .... after 10 to 15 passes the Cutco knives responded well to the Bavarian Edge .... it took the Tramontina knives 15 to 20 passes .... I'm still convinced that it will take some sort of major emergency for me to use it to sharpen my best knives .... that said, all of the serrated edges came out considerably sharper .... with the quickness and ease of use I can see buying a second one to keep in our camper
1 x

Rustbelt
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rustbelt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Lansky makes this set with 3 stone from course to fine and 5 stones from extra course to extra fine.
The fixture is good for establishing the bevel. After that, you can freehand the stones for maintainance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

in the last two days I've run over 30 knives through our new Bavarian Edge .... first let me say that the TV commercials seem a bit misleading .... specifically, there is a learning curve in using it properly .... holding the knife point down, point up, or parallel to the table makes a difference .... the best analogy I can think of is its like having course, fine or extra fine sharpening stones .... for me there are working edges and shaving edges .... when I use or sharpening stones, I end up with a blade with shaving sharpness .... so far, that's not been the case with blades sharpened on the Bavarian Edge .... its edge is sharp and angled so that it more of a working edge .... for kitchen and some garage knives, that's exactly what I need .... it also takes more than a few strokes to sharpen a blade the first time ..... once sharpened with the edge angles of the Bavarian Edge, I'm fairly certain that resharpening will require fewer strokes ..... I have used some of the knives to cut various foods and am pleased with the sharpness .... all in all, it seems to be a good buy
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Looking at Bavarian Edge type sharpeners. Reading through the topic there is mention that they are somewhat expensive (Brod and Taylor?), but not the most expensive and another mention referring to seen in TV commercials (Teletrends?) and inexpensive. Do these work? Does one work better over the other?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Mags wrote:Looking at Bavarian Edge type sharpeners. Reading through the topic there is mention that they are somewhat expensive (Brod and Taylor?), but not the most expensive and another mention referring to seen in TV commercials (Teletrends?) and inexpensive. Do these work? Does one work better over the other?

here is a link to the one we use ===> https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Kitchen-Kni ... Edge&psc=1 .... I don't use it on my best knives but it performs well .... don't have anything else to compare it to because its the only one I've tried.... if I was to order another I'd probably upgrade to the Deluxe model ===> https://www.amazon.com/Official-Bavaria ... Edge&psc=1
0 x

tunnug
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tunnug » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm

While out on the road for work I use this pocket sharpener by Fiskars on my EDC Kershaw, https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Fiskars-P ... B00KYADH42 , a couple of swipes and it's back to razor sharp,in order for the pocket sharpener to work properly it should be used on knives that haven't been freehand sharpened, once the angle is changed it takes a while for the set angle rods to bring back the edge, at home I have a pair of ceramic rods on a block of wood that take a little longer but also do a good job but are a little harder to use,throughout the years I've collected several oil and water stones that seldom see any use except for my chisels and shop knives which require different angles.
0 x
"People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...