Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

This week, Air Arms springers

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

This week, Air Arms springers

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Haven't had the weather for outdoor shooting for the last several weeks, but, finally, yesterday, had a thaw. Unfortunately, also had a grueling dentist apointment, so no shooting, yesterday. I have been doing my usual, almost daily, indoor 10 meter air gun shooting, though. Wouldn't want anyone to think I'm not shooting. As long as I am breathing, I'll still be shooting. :)

I make it a habit to rotate though our collection of air guns through the winter. I'm a firm believer in shooting our air guns on a regular basis. None of them collect dust over the winter. This week it was some of our Air Arms springers turn.

Air Arms springers are made in England and are first rate in terms of fit and finish. Nothing better. Accuracy is, likewise, top drawer. These AA springers are a good example of how two different models of the same brand can be very different guns and require techniques to get them to shoot their best.

First up, is our TX 200 Hunter Carbine (TX200 HC) in 177. It's called the Hunter Carbine because it has a shorter barrel than the standard TX200. It wears a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x EFR scope.

The HC is one of my most versatile spring piston guns. The weight is very much centered in the middle of the gun, unlike the longer barreled standard TX 200 with it's weight out toward the muzzle. What this means for me is that the Hunter Carbine shoots equally well from a rest or offhand. In fact, of all the springers we shoot, this is one of our most consistent and versatile shooters. The only disadvantage is that short cocking lever needed to keep the gun length short. That reduces leverage and that, in turn, translate into a higher cocking effort than our other under lever spring piston guns.

The HC is one heck of a shooter, though. Have other springers that can match it, but none that can beat it. Well worth the xtra effort needed to cock it.

Next up is another Air Arms under lever in the Air Arms Prosport in 177. It, too, wears the excellent Nikon Prosport 3-9x EFR scope.

The PS is unique in that the under lever is nestled inside the bottom of the forearm. Unlike the Hunter Carbine, though, the weight of the Prosport is very much toward the rear. Most importantly, the Prosport is a very muzzle light gun. It's one of my favorites for offhand work, but it's a very fussy gun to shoot off a rest. Even when shooting, offhand, I have to hold the gun farther out on the forearm than my usual hold with other springers. One of my favorites for offhand work, then, but a gun that I rarely shoot from a rest.

It's a bit more challenging to coax accuracy out of the Prosport, but it's there, make no mistake about it. Love the way it cocks and ease of loading, too. We get along just great.

Our forecast for the next two weeks is solid winter, so when you folks in warmer places get outdoors and shoot, think of me. Send some of that warm weather, up here. I'm still shooting, though. Just not outdoors.
4 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: This week, Air Arms springers

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Amazing Shooting NCG and such beautiful guns too.

You can shoot better standing than I can from a rest :oops:
0 x