Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fox at the Bird Feeder

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Fox at the Bird Feeder

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:29 am

I see this little fellow often, usually in the backyard by the watergarden. This morning, he stopped by the bird feeder in the front yard for a breakfast of fallen sunflower hearts.
Fox at Birdfeeder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Fox at the Bird Feeder

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 am

They are such lovely animals. Love watching them, when I've had the opportunity. Great pic. Thanks.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 am

I had one in my yard almost thirty years ago but haven't seen one since. Great picture.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

WoodrowH
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by WoodrowH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm

North Country Gal wrote:They are such lovely animals. Love watching them, when I've had the opportunity. Great pic. Thanks.
Tell that to the hens. Kidding aside, great pic. Foxes are beautiful animals indeed.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:55 pm

WoodrowH wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:They are such lovely animals. Love watching them, when I've had the opportunity. Great pic. Thanks.
Tell that to the hens. Kidding aside, great pic. Foxes are beautiful animals indeed.
Welcome to the forum from CT, WoodrowH. For what it's worth, I do have a chicken and that fox has shown zero interest in her coop. I started out with three; one grew into a rooster and became dinner, a second hen was recently killed by a raccoon that burrowed under the coop at night.
Chickens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Fox at the Bird Feeder Follow-up

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm sorry to report that my little fox friend has had some difficult times lately. A couple of weeks ago, I saw him drinking at the backyard watergarden; his tail had been nearly completely stripped of fur. As he walked away, I could see that his right leg had a noticeable limp.I expect he encountered an adversary, likely a coyote, and escaped.

Last week, I saw him again, looking for some afternoon sun to curl up and nap. He walked without the limp, but he looked like hell. I let him be, and he curled up by my basement bulkhead door.

He appeared again today, in the same spot. I carefully held my camera through the slider door on my deck to allow him to have his space and some peace and took these pictures. In the sleeping photo, you can see his bare tail. So sad.
Fox Sitting.jpg
Fox Sleeping.jpg
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

It is sad when a beautiful creature like that gets beat up. I hope he recovers and continues to grace your property.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Wonderful photos to bring your story along, CT. Mr. Red Fox does look quite ragged compared to your early Feb photo. As he keeps on stopping to visit you, he'll soon learn that he has found the best sanctuary yard in the neighborhood! Take good care of him....he sure can use a little TLC nowadays!
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:31 pm

have you heard any reports of "wasting" disease or mange in your area .. :?:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm

JEBar wrote:have you heard any reports of "wasting" disease or mange in your area .. :?:
I have read about wasting disease, but never about this species. Fox can suffer from mange, but this was a sudden decline. I think it was more likely the result of a fight for food and/or life.
0 x