Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Victory: accuarcy for the dollar

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

S&W Victory: accuarcy for the dollar

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 am

Weather actually warmed up to the freezing point, so Bill and I made a quick trip to the range. Took our usual wide variety of guns to shoot, but this time I mostly wanted to do some work with a 22 semi-auto pistol that I regard as the most accurate 22 pistol I've ever shot and tested, period, regardless of the price. It's a relatively new model from S&W. I bought it based on reports I was getting from some serious target shooters as to the Victory's accuracy. Have had mine for awhile, now, and can confirm that the reports are no exaggeration. The pistol is the 22 LR S&W Victory, mine setup with an Ultradot 30 red dot.

In the world of match shooting, in order for a pistol or revolver to be considered match grade in accuracy, it must be able to print a 5 shot group from a rest at one inch or less. Here's a sight in target for the Victory that I shot, a couple weeks, ago, after adding the Ultradot. This is the smallest 5 shot group I've ever gotten from a 22 semi-auto pistol at 25 yards and I've shot some of the greats, everything from from Rugers, vintage High Standards and even the cream of the S&W lineup, the Model 41.

Absolutely amazing accuracy for a $350 pistol, no mods, right from the factory.

The Victory is not without its quirks. The magazines are decent quality, but they are fussy about being properly fed. You have to be careful about loading them. The out of the box trigger on the Victory is actually very good - considerably better than any out of the box Ruger I've owned - but not as good as a vintage High Standard or a Model 41. There are now aftermarket trigger mods available, now, but I do just fine with the factory trigger.

Very easy and pleasant gun to shoot, but more than that, just plain fun. This one was a mixture of slow and moderate fire. (3" bull)

Yes, I do find that semi-auto 22 pistols give me a shooting advantage. There's a rhythm you develop with the shot sequence, thanks to virtually no interruption to the shot picture and alteration of your grip, that allows a shooter to just keep pouring shot after shot into the black. It's very addictive for an accuracy nut like me.

Bottom line, here, is that anyone who wants serious match grade accuracy in a 22 handgun at a remarkably affordable price, I highly recommend the S&W Victory.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: S&W Victory: accuarcy for the dollar

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 am

interesting .... I'd never heard of a S&W Victory .... info appreciated
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:04 am

Very nice indeed.
Can't wait to get to the range with my niece and her Buckmark.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 am

The Victory hasn't been out that long, something like two years or so. The Victory's quick one screw take-down feature is really what sold it right off the bat. Very appealing to shooters who were struggling to take down other semi-auto models at the time, especially, Ruger Marks. Shortly afterwards, Ruger then introduced their Mark IV, a totally new design for a Mark with its quick take-down feature.

The Victory's rep for accuracy was something that came, later, after shooters had a chance to work with the Victory. That's what appealed to me, since taking down a Ruger Mark has never been an issue for me.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:40 am

The Victory hasn't been out that long, something like two years or so.
The .22 Victory that is - the 'original' Victory has a somewhat 'different' history!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:53 am

Mistered wrote:
The Victory hasn't been out that long, something like two years or so.
The .22 Victory that is - the 'original' Victory has a somewhat 'different' history!
Correct. Night and day difference. Whole different animal. :)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 pm

My dads 'Duffel Bag' Victory!
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Excellent range report! One small gripe, though. The OP is not giving herself nearly enough credit for her shooting skills.

At our range, I know of only two shooters who can do that kind of shooting.

Oh, and yes, the gun is definitely nice, too. :)
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Aw, shucks! :) Thanks, ditto. If a good shooter is defined as someone who loves to shoot, then I'm one. The results are just the frosting on the cake.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm

I really like those pistols. And it obviously likes you. It sure seems to shoot nice for you! Great groups.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.