Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2011 Silverado

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: 2011 Silverado

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 am

Jim
I know a very good mechanic out here that will back up what you have found out. GM had a lot of trouble with that engine doing exactly what you are finding. Not sure what they will do for you but I hope you get it solved. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 am

BigAl52 wrote:Jim
I know a very good mechanic out here that will back up what you have found out. GM had a lot of trouble with that engine doing exactly what you are finding. Not sure what they will do for you but I hope you get it solved. Al
the facts are simple .... the truck is paid for .... it has a lifetime warranty on the motor (internal components) that I expect them to honor .... I plan to drive it at least 4 more years .... if they do nothing and it last that long while performing like it has since new, all's good .... if they fix it, fine .... if they don't and if it doesn't last, it will be towed and dropped outside their garage door .... looking forward to the middle of next week ....
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 pm

I hope to hear they will take care of you. The concept of the 8 to 6 to 4 cylinder engine that GM put in Cadillacs (and I don't know what else) sounded good about thirty years ago. My friend and boss had one of those caddys and spent a bunch of money on the engine. Another friend bought a beautiful pick up like yours about 7 or 8 years ago with the 8 to 4 engine. He started to have problems, but I haven't talked with him in a while. I think he got rid of the truck.

Having said that, my last vehicle was a Dodge. Good engine, started to disintegrate body wise. The previous three were all GM products. Chevrolets in fact. Each and every one had gremlins in the electrical systems. Enough to make me get rid of them. You may have noticed that I recently bought a Ford. I have vowed no more GM products.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am

Have you found anything out yet on your truck Jim? Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 am

nothing much .... I want to pull all 8 plugs and take a look at them first .... not too many years ago I could and would have pulled them myself but physical complications have turned that into a last resort option .... she runs smooth and strong, if she didn't I'd be much more motivated
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 pm

our youngest son pulled and replaced all 8 of our Silverado's spark plugs .... next week I hope to organize for some pictures that will include the miles they have each been in service .... all-in-all, after seeing all of them, I'm much more encouraged about the condition of the truck's engine .... I'm also more convinced the issue is with the system does relate to switching between operating on 4 & 8 cylinders .... 5 of the plugs (4 of which aren't involved) have just under 90,000 miles on them and really look good .... we also replaced all 8 spark plug wires .... after doing so, we fired up the truck and couldn't tell a bit of difference in the sound of the engine's operation .... I won't be able to take it out on the road until Monday so I won't know anything about any possible increase in performance
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm

as noted above, a couple of days ago we pulled and replace all 8 plugs and their plug wires .... all plug wires looked good, replacing them wasn't really necessary .... the plugs are numbered from the radiator to firewall .... odd numbers 1, 3, 5, &7 are on the driver's side (right) .... even numbers 2, 4, 6, & 8 are on the passenger's side (left) ... the first 2 plugs on both sides (#'s 1 & 3 on the right, 2 & 4 on the left) are the ones that cutout when the demand for power is reduced and refire when more power is needed .... the 5 OEM plugs shown below ( 6 & 8 on the left, 5 & 7 on the right, 3 on the bottom ) have been in engine for 89,213 miles looked great .... some difference in color but all were clean and very close to the recommended gap .... all 4 of the rear plugs (which fire all of the time when the motor is running) plus plug 3 make up those plugs .... I was very interested and somewhat surprised that plug 3 looks just as good as the other 4 .... the second picture shows (left to right) plugs 1, 2 , & 4 .... plug #1 has been replaced twice, the one shown has been in the truck for 6,541 miles -- the OEM lasted 61,632 miles, the second lasted 25,210 miles .... OEM plug 2 was replaced a 61,815 miles -- the one shown below was in the motor for 28,068 miles ....plug # 4 (on the right) was first replaced at 61,815 miles --- the second was removed with 28,608 miles on it when the bottom plug was installed ---- it has 670 miles on it .... based on all of the above I don't believe that cutting fuel caused the problem ... if the system itself was bad I would expect all 4 cylinders involved would have shown signs of a problem and that simply isn't the case with plug 3 .... in just under 90,000 miles 2 plugs in cylinders 1 & 4 have malfunctioned to the point they created an idle speed miss and had replaced .... that has happened once with cylinder #2 .... to me there is no doubt that there something an issue with something in the system but no clue what it is .... right now the bottom line is, the truck runs great
Attachments
IMG_9028.JPG
IMG_9028.JPG (125.05 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
IMG_9031.JPG
IMG_9031.JPG (112.18 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 am

UPDATE :

we had to replace the truck's year and a half old OEM tires on August 25, 2012 with Michelin 32,271 miles .... yesterday (March 26, 2020) after 70,119 miles we replaced them with Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/65R18's .... the first set of Michelins were on the truck for 7 yrs 7 months .... their tread was worn but far from worn out .... I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have another 10,000 or so miles of tread left .... we chose to replace them at this time because I simply wasn't comfortable with the degree of weathering that could be seen
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 21, 2020 7:21 pm

sometime during our Jan - March spent in Texas the passenger's side rear door WeatherTech Side Window Deflector disappeared ===> https://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet/2 ... /crew-cab/ .... nobody knows nothing ..Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes:.. these vent deflectors were installed shortly after we purchased the truck back in 2011 .... with a new set priced at $100, I decided to call Weather Tech and see if I could just order a replacement for the missing one .... the fellow I spoke with said they can only sell them in front pairs, rear pairs, or a complete set of 4 .... a pair for the rear windows is priced at something over $40 + shipping .... that option was most certainly better than having to buy a whole new set .... we chatted for another minute or so and said that what he could do to help me is to wave the $15 dollar shipping fee .... that in essence cuts the cost in half .... we have a set on the way and are very impressed with WeatherTech's customer service
Attachments
200521 001 missing window vent 001.jpg
200521 001 missing window vent 001.jpg (77.57 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:20 pm

I would never have one of those brand new trucks! Hope you get your problems solved Jim...for sure, but my '99 Ford has never given me a problem and does whatever I want it to.
To me, to buy brand new is a sure mistake!...for many reasons.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry