Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tumbling Media

All things reloading here
Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Tumbling Media

Post by Handloader » Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 am

Just as a heads up for years now I have been using Lizard bedding from the pet store to polish the cases. Basically, the lizard beading is super fine walnut shells and does not clog any primer pockets. It also does a better job in cleaning/polishing the cases than standard walnut shell media. Another thing I do is squirt a tablespoon of Flitz polish around the media. Then I turn on the shaker to mix it up after mixing I throw in the cases. An hour later bright and shiny inside and out. The flitz polish protects the brass and helps polish it.
3 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Tumbling Media

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 am

Been using Lizard Litter for many years. I add a couple of squirts of Nu-Shine car wax to mine.. Makes cases look brand new.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:33 am

Been happy with corn cob media myself and usually add a squirt of some sort of polish to it to achieve the shinny results
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu May 23, 2024 9:48 am

I just use plain ol' crushed walnut that I bought a Pet Smart couple years ago. After couple hours in the tumbler they come out clean and shiny enough. Then I sit back and swab them out with a Q-tip especially primer pockets.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Sat May 25, 2024 8:16 am

I bought a box of corncob blasting media from McMaster Carr about a decade ago. They sell a 10 pound box of 20-40 mesh for about $15. I think that was one of my better value purchases. Grit is fine enough to not get stuck in flash holes, although Lapua rifle brass has smaller flash holes and it does sometimes need a tap or a quick puff of breath before seating a primer.
I add whatever inexpensive car wax or compound I can get to the media and it makes my brass shine like jewelry.
Downside is that it does get dusty if you let it dry out. More car wax or some mineral spirits solves that problem.
0 x