Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Safe Capacity

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Gun Safe Capacity

Post by HenryFan » Sat May 11, 2024 4:28 pm

I find that the stated capacity of gun safes is, at best, optimistic. It is my experience that the manufacturers' capacity recommendation is probably twice what can be a reasonable capacity when the rifles are scoped or bolt guns. Maybe two-thirds but probably closer to one-half.

Maybe I bought the wrong brand of safes.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Gun Safe Capacity

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 12, 2024 10:03 am

Nope there’re all like that. The manufacturer just counts the slots available for total capacity. Works great if every firearm is an iron sighted compact rimfire. :lol:
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 am

Kinda like the rating on tent capacity. Works (maybe}, if campers were laying on their sides and together like Sardines.
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun May 12, 2024 12:56 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:03 am
The manufacturer just counts the slots available for total capacity. Works great if every firearm is an iron sighted compact rimfire. :lol:
True. I think that's it. Seems to me to be somewhat deceptive but then, I don't know of how I would do it differently to be less deceptive.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun May 12, 2024 3:12 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:03 am
Nope there’re all like that. The manufacturer just counts the slots available for total capacity. Works great if every firearm is an iron sighted compact rimfire. :lol:
I alternate between ironsighted and scoped in the slots. Scoped side by side is not a good fit.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun May 12, 2024 4:41 pm

Well, I have a 36 gun safe that has 38 long guns, carefully arranged. ;)
With two shelves on one side that has a number of handguns.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 pm

Agree if you want them nicely stored and be able to remove one without having to pull everything out then about half the manufacturers claim.
If you are happy to stack them in like tetris blocks you can meet or exceed the claimed number.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm

I dislike being forced to remove long guns from the front to access a long gun in the rear. It's bothersome and also increases the chance of "safe dings".

Got to have a safe these days with society sliding down a slippery slope to chaos. I long for the days when I was just a young chap and the guns were stored in a wood cabinet with a glass front. Six decades ago, probably more.
3 x

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Mon May 13, 2024 12:07 am

HenryFan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm
I dislike being forced to remove long guns from the front to access a long gun in the rear. It's bothersome and also increases the chance of "safe dings".

Got to have a safe these days with society sliding down a slippery slope to chaos. I long for the days when I was just a young chap and the guns were stored in a wood cabinet with a glass front. Six decades ago, probably more.
That’s what we had growing up. It was kept in my bedroom a couple feet from my bed.
1 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 am

HenryFan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm

Yes and who didn’t make a wall hanging gun rack in woodshop?
2 x