Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PCP compressor choice

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PCP compressor choice

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:02 pm

We'll soon see how the compressor works. Got a notice it has shipped.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 am

Our new compressor has arrived and, have to say, it looks to be of very high build quality. We're buried in some other projects, right now, so not sure when we'll get the new compressor set up and running, but it is a huge relief to know that we no longer have to count on a dive shop forty miles, away, to get our PCP air guns filled.

Now that we are in the PCP game, big time, we're planing to expand our backyard range to include a 50 yard shooting station and maybe even add a 75 yard or even 100 yard station.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 am
Now that we are in the PCP game, big time, we're planing to expand our backyard range to include a 50 yard shooting station and maybe even add a 75 yard or even 100 yard station.
That is so cool, it sounds as if you would be in the market for a .257 caliber gun, if you don’t already own one.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/i ... c=161118.0

100 yards for me is a loooong shot, but 200 yards is amazing, with 1/4 MOA accuracy. It even shoots to 400 yards😳 . Cast your own slugs, use a bullet trap, recycle the lead, free shooting! Or these:

ECBF34F4-C739-42A2-B8AE-5BEB6E11CF54.jpeg

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:21 pm

For sure, John, what some folks are doing with these PCP rifles is just amazing. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:08 am

I'm looking forward to your compressor impressions once you have had it a while. I'm glad John is sharing some valuable insight also.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm

I see that Airguns of Az now has the new Umarex compressor which doesnt use water to cool it. Its also about 300.00 cheaper that the other portable one they offer. Thinkin hard here.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:40 pm

It is hard trying to decide, I agree. Lots of reviews on most of these compressors to the point of information overload. I do think, though, that if you seriously want to go PCP, and get all the many benefits PCP guns provide, a compressor is well with the investment. I never like messing with scuba tanks and driving to a dive shop for fills can be a real hassle, plus scuba tanks can't do complete fills on the new crop of PCPs that run at pressures higher than 3000 psi. Yes, hand pumps are the other option, but using them is for fills is just beyond what I can handle, physically. Keep in mind, too, that hand pumps do need constant maintenance. They are prone to wearing out and do need rebuilding from time to time, all the more so from incorrect use and improper maintenance.

If you really want air guns that can compete with your best 22 rimfires for accuracy at rimfire distances and do it on a similar consistent basis, not to mention comparable ease of use to rimfires, the PCP platform can't be touched by other air gun platforms. That's coming from a diehard spring piston shooter, by the way. In fact, I use our Daystate CR-97 PCP as the standard of accuracy when shooting our springers and try to match it. Now and then I come close to shooting a group almost as small with our best springers, but it's impossible to shoot a springer with the same consistent accuracy, group after group that matches up with a premium PCP or even a tuned mid-level PCP. Not even close. Heaven knows, I've been trying for years. That's a hard pill to swallow for a springer lover like me, but targets don't lie.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:23 pm

Not only have I been reading what you post I have done some pretty extensive research. Your post back up all the research I have done. If you are going to enter the world of PCP the compressor is the way to go.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm

Decided we better get to work and get that compressor running. We added the oil, re-read the instructions. Hooked up our vintage Daystate CR-97 which was down to the minimum 2000 psi. Turned on the compressor. Took a grand total of one minute to to fill to to the max 3000 psi. :)
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 am

Gotta love that no more trips to the dive shop.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55