Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45/70 Magazine follower question

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

45/70 Magazine follower question

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm

I can not seem to find anything on the magazine follower on my 45/70. I have the Mag tube loaded version only model (no loading gate)
If you have read my post I bought a 45/70 last week that is currently in route to the mother ship for repairs (not shooting straight with sights). While it is gone I want to replace a few things. So I would like to have them handy when it arrives back. With this covid thing and Wisconsin who knows when that might be.

My question is though, I noticed that I really did not like the plastic magazine follower that was in the brass tube. Just seemed cheap and not really very sturdy. I would like to replace it with a Brass follower. I have found one that fits a Marlin 45/70 and was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs ? Before I get the comments of the plastic follower won't wear out, I am fully aware of that. It probably won't, but I really do not like the cheap look or feel of it when loading. I was wondering if the Marlin magazine follower and the Henry were the same size ? I can't believe that someone here has not replaced one as of yet. So if you have with a brass one, have you had any sticking problems ? I figured that I would polish mine before adding.

Second question, if not the same size does someone make a follower for a Henry ?

Thanks in advance guy's
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 45/70 Magazine follower question

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:37 pm

having never considered replacing any of those parts, I have no clue as to sources or availability .... looking forward to following your progress
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm

May be awhile,
I am awaiting to see what happens with the rifle at Henry and how long before I get it back. It should arrive to them on Tuesday. I have a Skinner sight for it but I also ordered a Williams 35D for it. I like the Williams sights, they seem to be more adjustable than the Skinner and can use the original front sight most of the time. We will see. Just really wondering if that magazine follower is the same ?
Thanks for the reply
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

I know you can get aftermarket springs for the tube. Haven't seen a follower tho.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:43 am

I bet it is the same follower that Marlin uses in theirs. They are even drilled the same on top of the receiver as far as scope ring holes go. Same pattern.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Ordered the magazine follower today. When I get my rifle back I will let everyone know how it works.
2 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm

looking forward to hearing you assessment
1 x