Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rossi Gallery

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Rossi Gallery

Post by cphilip » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Cheap.... not Henry smooth... not as nice a wood as a Henry...

But its a really fun little thing.... needs to be broken in for sure... works really well... about the best little thing to shoot 22 shorts with... I'm getting 95 decibels at the ear with CCI Shorts. Thats almost hearing protection free zone.

Did I mention it was fun to shoot? Did I mention it is cheap?

Yea...they are $300... both the little Black plastic furniture one and the wood one. The Black one has nicer sights but its not as traditional. Really does bring that carnival shooting gallery feel to it to shoot shorts out of it. I don't have any CB's but I can't wait to try those. No worries about cycling cause its a pump away. Would like to handle one of Henrys little pumps but simply cannot find any of those. Heck, these are hard to find too.

Get one. You'll like it.

(Its the one in the foreground. Others are a 10/22 Backpacker and Remington speedmaster)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Hobart
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Rossi Gallery

Post by Hobart » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:51 am

I have a Rossi Gallery I bought new in 1984 for $119. Great little gun.
0 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am

My brother in law has two of those original ones. They made a long one and a carbine back then. A 22 inch barrel and a 16 or 16.5 one. He says his has decently nice wood on them. Loves them too. I do not know when they quit making them but its just recently they started making them again.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:14 am

Sorry to go a bit off topic but your speedmaster is simply gorgeous. It just looks old school fine!!!
1 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am

Those were nice guns.

I missed an opportunity to buy a Fieldmaster just last week. The deluxe models, like that one, came with those glossy checkered Monte Carlo stocks. The Fieldmaster is the pump variant of those. It was also a Deluxe model and it had an old Glenfield scope on it, was pretty mint and was priced at $399.... I didn't buy it right then, thought about it, went back the next day determined to do so but it was gone. You snooze you loose... LOL.

The Speedmaster is a bit finicky and doesn't do well with anything dirty. It however eats Federal Champion and CCI mini mags real good. Doesn't like to cycle shorts either which is why I was keen on the field master and on this little Rossi in the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 pm

So speaking of these Gallery guns.. I am on the search for the right ammo to plink them with. Ive used, in the past, CB's and such as that. But finding a reliable but quiet ammo now days is the trick. So I ran into some of these Aguila Colibri's and figured why not try those> They are 420 fps. So really slow. I worried about that in a rifle. So I was prepared but decided to try them. I ran one with my ear protection on and I thought to myself, that thing never fired! So I stopped immediately and unloaded and got my bore light out and looked. Barrel was clear. So I tried another. Same thing. Cleared and visually inspected, this time I saved the round and sure enough it had fired. So I loaded up a few more and took my ear protection off. Was shooting at one of these orange plastic ground target balls. All I could hear was the round hitting the darn target! I mean quiet! They all shot fine and all cleared the barrel but yet the manufacturer does not recommend them for rifles. They are working on just the primer alone. Not powered. So I got kind of scared and decided to quit. Im looking for some of the "Super Colibri" which are in the low 700 fps range. Or some CCI "quiet" or even some of the old CCI CB's. I see a few more option but darned iff all this low fps stuff is out of stock. I can see a fun quiet plinking set up with a combination of the right rounds and these pump Gallery guns for sure. This is going to be a fun set up for sure. These Colibri ones are likely just a bit too low for safety but they sure do make it interesting.... and make the idea encouraging.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:52 pm

The CCI 22LR CB's are around. I recently bought 500 of them. They shoot well in my Henry Pump.
0 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 pm

They are out of stock everywhere.. so are any other Sub sonic short. I suspect its a manufacturing priority decision. They simply cannot keep up with the demand for full power 22 ammo.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm

cphilip, you were right to be wary about those Colibri CBs and not wear hearing protection when shooting them. You need to listen for the sake of detecting a squib. Somewhere buried in the archives I posted an article about one not making it out of the barrel in on of my CZs. CZs do have tighter than average bores as 22s go, so I save the slow stuff for our other 22s.

For sure Shorts and CBs are usually the last to disappear of the shelf when there is a run on ammo, but they're also the last to get back on the shelf. We had a fairly good supply on hand before the Covid hit, so we're good for awhile.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm

I bought Aquila Colibri's a couple of years ago. To determine how quiet they would be, I placed a target on a pine board at the end of my deck about 18 feet away and aimed my single shot bolt rifle from inside the open sliding glass door, fired, and watched the bullet as it bounced off the board.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"