Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nikon quit making scopes ?

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Nikon quit making scopes ?

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 am

Nikon quit making scopes, AARG! What rock have I been under and how can this be? The go to optic for the budget minded deer Hunter and weekend target shooter. I have a 4x on a savage mark II and a 3-9x40 prostaff on a beater 7-08(it's a shooter). These are great scopes, OK enuf 😢 I just went on Amazon and bought a 3-9X40 Buckmaster II just because they'll all be gone soon.
2 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Nikon quit making scopes ?

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 am

several of us were sad to see Nikon get out of the rifle scope business .... all of the scopes we have now are Nikons and I literally have no clue what brand(s) I'd look for if/when I should need another one
1 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am

It ticked me off too when I heard they quit making scopes. I'll hang onto mine.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 am

I'm one of those whose go to brand was Nikon. My other brand has always been Leupold, but I've always maintained I got more for my optics dollar with Nikon. In the past, I used a lot of TC pistol scopes and those are gone, too.

Also, note that Weaver is no longer in the scope business, though they still make mounts and you may still find some left over stock for sale on some websites. If you do, know that you'll have no option with Weaver if you need a repair. Weaver is owned by the same parent company that owns Bushnell, Tasco and Simmons. If you call Weaver, you'll get directed to Bushnell CS.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 am

I think Leupold is a better scope but not for the same dollar. Nikon was like getting Leupold quality at Tasso prices for me.

NCG is the one that told me about Nikon. I don’t think I would have bought enough any if she hadn’t.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm

I have several Nikons, Love 'em, I have recently bought a couple Vortex, and have been pretty happy.
Especially the 1-4x24 I have on the 41 BBS.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 am
I'm one of those whose go to brand was Nikon. My other brand has always been Leupold, but I've always maintained I got more for my optics dollar with Nikon. In the past, I used a lot of TC pistol scopes and those are gone, too.

Also, note that Weaver is no longer in the scope business, though they still make mounts and you may still find some left over stock for sale on some websites. If you do, know that you'll have no option with Weaver if you need a repair. Weaver is owned by the same parent company that owns Bushnell, Tasco and Simmons. If you call Weaver, you'll get directed to Bushnell CS.
Weaver made good, quality scopes once. I still have three, all have"Japan" stamped on them and they are very good scopes.
Just another business that didn't last on it's own. Don't know where they're made now, if even made. Too bad.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am

As someone who has worked in the optical industry, I especially mourn the loss of Nikon riflescopes. You can count on the fingers of one hand scope makers who make scopes in their own factories and even even fewer who make their own lenses. Nikon was one of them. Even their products made outside of Japan are made in Nikon factories managed by Nikon staff. That optical production capability is what made Nikon scopes the best bang for the buck in terms of optical quality.

Leupold is another brand with their own factory in Beaverton, Or, but because there are no lens makers operating in the U.S., anymore, Leupold has to import lenses to stay in business. It's why Leupold can no longer claim their scopes are made in the U.S.A., only assembled in the U.S.A.

Burris is still operating out of Greeley, Co, but the company is now owned by the same parent company that owns Beretta, Steiner and other companies and their current scopes are made mostly in the Philippines.

Weaver is owned by the same parent company that now owns Bushnell, Tasco and Simmons and it was decided that having Weaver continue to make scopes was pointless, so no more Weaver scopes. It's been many decades, now, since Weaver was making scopes in El Paso.

Keep in mind that almost all of those familiar brands of riflescopes and binoculars are made on a contract basis with wholesale optical houses in the Far East. As such, there has never been a Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Vortex and so on factory with those names. It's no coincidence that a lot of products with different brand labels look so similar. It's because they are being made in the same optical houses on contract for various brands.

Not that all of these contract brands are the same. Some, such as Bushnell and Vortex have the financial resources to contract the degree of QC and exclusive features. A great many brands, though, simply select products from the optical house's menu and have their label slapped on their product.
4 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 am

NCG, you are a continuing source of education for me. Thank you for your well thought out and presented information.

I went to Leupold for my scope based on your input. After learning of Nikon Ceasing their production and warranty concerns. May still buy one if the circumstances are right.

Again, thank you.
2 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 pm

You are very welcome, Cofisher. I'm keeping my eyes open for Nikons, too, warranty or no warranty.
1 x