Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CO2 pistol, target style, silhouette

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

CO2 pistol, target style, silhouette

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm

I've been shooting airguns all my life, but, believe it or not, I've never owned or shot a CO2 airgun. That changed this last week. I decided to give CO2 a try with a pistol, but not just any pistol. For those not familiar with air guns, CO2 pistols are very popular in the air gun world, primarily with the many reproductions of famous guns in the regular gun world. You can buy working single action, double action and semi-auto CO2 pistols with the CO2 cartridges working the actions. While these are great fun and reasonably accurate for their design, I wanted something a bit more oriented to my target style shooting.

Enter the Crosman 2300S, the S standing for silhouette. Airgun silhouette is a miniaturized form of silhouette using tiny metal silhouettes at reduced ranges. Chickens are shot at 10 yards, Pigs at 12.5 yards, Turkeys at 15 yards and Rams at 18 yards. To give you an idea of scale, the tiny 10 yard chicken has a body mass area slightly smaller than a dime. Not an easy target at 10 yards, offhand, with a pistol.

Out of the box with the Crosman 2300S, we have an air pistol designed to compete in this game. Features include an expensive Williams micrometer finger adjustable rear sight, an adjustable trigger, a premium grade barrel and a grooved metal receiver should you prefer optical sights (and I do). Power can be varied to give you between 40 and 60 shots per CO2 cartridge which covers the 40 shots needed for a silhouette match. I set my power just below max and am getting 40 plus shots per cartridge.

So, how does 2300S shoot? Does the Crosman 2300S have the accuracy needed to compete? I decided to do all my testing and sighting in at 18 yards, since this is the max range for air gun silhouette.

From a rest with the excellent Williams open sight. Good.

From a rest using a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Better, but the 3 MOA dot covers up that tiny Chicken too much.

From a rest with a rare vintage Burris 3x adjustable objective handgun scope. Best. Perfect scope for this work.

I really don't like shooting any handgun from a bench, off of a rest. I only do it for accuracy testing and rough sighting in. MUCH prefer to use a handgun without any support other than good old me. I'm a bit rusty using a handgun with a scope, so I pulled a couple. I do like using a scope on a handgun, though. Once I got in the groove, I had to smile. Bring on those 18 yard Rams!

My first CO2 pistol and loving it. The Crosman 2300S
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: CO2 pistol, target style, silhouette

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 pm

I dont have that fancy of one but the Crossman I do have shoots really well. It loves the the RMS pellets. Nice shooting as always NCG. Hope you like that new pistol it looks really nice.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for the report...very interesting, and, great shooting!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Nice, I have been tempted by CO2 guns, I did have an old Daisy something CO2 pistol decades ago that wasn’t particularly fun. Have you chronographed it yet? What sort of shot consistency does it have?

I am anxiously waiting for my new pcp, a .25 caliber Hatsan Flashpup Quiet Energy (moderated). It was supposed to ship Aug 9 for my late-August birthday, it is now expected to be in stock in the end of September..... darn it. It is unregulated, I may install a Huma regulator to flatten the velocity curve. If I ever get it.

Thanks for the interesting and nicely composed pictures.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks, folks.

John, no, I haven't chronographed this gun, yet. Still getting acquainted with it, but, so far, accuracy has been very good and the gun is easy to shoot. As I mentioned, this is not your typical recreational CO2 plinker. The 2300S is Crosman's venture into the world of serious target guns and I think they've succeeded with this one, Lothar Walther barrel and all.

I do understand about the delays on ordering and getting air guns. Huge problem right now in the air gun world. We had a couple of orders cancelled on us with other CO2 guns, before we got lucky and found this one in stock.

Sounds like a very potent PCP with the 25 cal. Hope you get delivery, soon. Our plan has been to expand our PCP shooting via buying another PCP rifle and compressor, but have put that on hold, hoping the supply crunch eases up at some point. No shortage of other air guns to shoot in the meantime. They've kept us busy all summer. Love being able to just walk out the back door and shoot.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Well written review. Thorough and detailed as always. That pistol reminds me of the one I had as a kid. I was a sophomore or so, and traded something for the "worthless" gun a friend's older brother was going to toss. He had dropped it and broken one of the grips, and lost the o-ring for the CO2 compartment. He was happy to trade the non-shooter. :)

I took off the good grip and traced it on a slat from the bottom of a coke crate. Remember when they were made of wood? I traced it twice, then cut both grips out and flipped one over. Tah-dah. Right and left. I shaped them using an old sanding belt, buffing the grips like a shoe shine boy. I had cut the belt into one inch wide strips.

I went 60, 80, 120, 200 grit, using my stepfather's old sander belts. Then stained with the last of an old can of cherry stain. I was fifteen, worked two days a week.
You use what you have. Turned out pretty good.

Took that endcap to the local hardware and bought a half dozen o-rings that fit the groove. I also bought a ten pack of CO2 cartridges. I fired er up and she shot beautifully. It had adjustable sights, and was a 22 caliber. We lived in a rental, with an attached storage room belonging to the owner. We had mice. I became deadly accurate.

One problem. The o-rings from the hardware reacted to the CO2 by swelling. Good thing I bought extras. When the cartridge died, they were too swollen to use. It took an hour for them to return to normal. :roll:

I can't remember what happened to that gun, but it was a shooter.
:lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Great report. It makes me want to go out and buy one.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:33 pm

NCG, do you have to take extra precautions because of condensation? I imagine a fast shot string chills the barrel and chamber pretty dramatically. I have seen video of an Airforce Talon PCP rifle with a horizontal (buttstock) CO2 tank, if it is tilted down too far you can get a big cloud of liquid CO2 out the muzzle.That can't be good.

Does your pistol have the canister vertical inside the grip?

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:15 pm

Love the story, Marine. We always made do with what we had when we were young, too.

Thanks, Gene. Hope you can get some shooting going, soon, what with your project. One thing I didn't mention is that as CO2 pistols go, this one is pricey at about $300. Not surprising given its features. The Williams sight, alone, runs about $70. I suspect the higher than average price tag for a CO2 pistol is why I was able to find one in stock.

John, the CO2 cartridge loads up front, not in the handle. This is a single shot and pretty slow to load with a tight loading area in the breech. Rate of fire is very slow, then. Condensation is not a problem.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 pm

As always you keep me coming back to see what cool guns has the lady of the north woods put to the test. Great test report and you would make an impressive salesperson for every model and brand you have shared with us.
Crosman has definitely built a good gun if it impresses you. I have a PC77 pump air pistol and love it for plinking and short range target. For being dirt cheap I have been impressed with it. The grip and overall silhouette of the gun looks very much like your new shooter. So I have no doubts that it would put a smile on my face. The only CO2 gun I have is a "Colt" Peacemaker revolver made by Umarex. It is fun to shoot but definitely just a plinker. I have wondered if there was a decent CO2 target pistol worth the price tag. And it seems that you have answered that. Putting one on the list of fun guns to add to the family.
Thanks again for sharing your experience and skills with us.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)