Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range report from N Idaho

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Paratus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Range report from N Idaho

Post by Paratus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Afternoon,
Well, I finally got out to the range today after having owned my new Henry for 10 days and had not shot it until today. So the bare bones report first & more detailed description to follow below.

Shoots fun and great, as with most firearms they are only as accurate as I am. This is my first lever (of any flavor) and I like it!

Specifics:
field cleaned barrel yesterday
54 degrees, slight breeze (did not notice once the shooting started) overcast to light PNW drizzle
no failure to fire, no failure to feed
outdoor unregulated range in national forest
targets consisted of shoot/see paper targets, ballistics ball, 2-- 3 gallon water jugs and other assorted sizes of bottles all filled with water
25 and 50 yard distances

challenges:
I had several fail to extract, I believe it was operator error. Each time I emptied the magazine tube of all rounds leaving only the spent brass in chamber. Cycled the action closed and open and in each instance ejection success. I "think" I was feathering the lever or failing to cycle with authority...

Side bar--a couple of times my several years of semi auto AR and a Benneli scatter gun had me pulling the trigger without cycling the action--DUH

Ammo used:

Remington (un remembered detail),
Buffalo Bore 255 grn hard cast
Buffalo Bore 190 grn soft cast
Buffalo Bore 265 grn mono metal
Sig Sauer 240 grn JHP

Impressions:
* The impact both on the gun butt/shoulder and the impact on target is easily visible and felt with the Buffalo Bore higher weight and powder charge.
* Shooting a 3 gallon jug of water is gratifying when hit with a 44!
* I like the trigger, maybe not "glass rod snaping" but little take up and a short pull in my opinion.
* It is a keeper and will perform as intendended.

Need to work on my cycling of the action and I was consistently high on point of impact vs point of aim. All shooting was free hand, standing as I had the side by side and I don't really fit in the bed (LOL) for prone/bench style with bag shooting. A couple of times I pulled the 9 mm Sig 236 to ensure it was not a lost touch-just a new rifle with no experience on style to pull from.

Two gentlemen also shooting and they had filled up a trash bag of debris from prior shooters. I asked if they had any extra bags, they did. I "traded" two Tonic bottle size targets of water for 2 bags and filled those up on my departure.

Thats it for now.
8 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Range report from N Idaho

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Nice range report and nicely done all around. Glad you like that new Henry. More fun ahead.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Sounds good, welcome to the world of cowboy rifles...just work that lever with authority and it will be fine. Shake up a pop can and hit it with one of these slugs and watch the fun!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Pictures to we like pictures.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Great well detailed report! Yes we all like pictures of new Henrys and shot up targets! Is your .44 Mag the carbine or 20 inch BB?
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Great report, my Henry 327 had a few hiccups first time out and they went away surprisingly quickly.

Thanks for your efforts cleaning the range. Over here in the Spokane area we have two DNR parcels that are available for shooting. The worthless lazy shooters constantly trash the ranges to the point of being disgusting. A local gun website I am active with sponsors group clean-ups from time to time. The effort is very rewarding and greatly appreciated by the DNR.
0 x

Paratus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Paratus » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Fortyshooter-it is the carbine as the intended use is truck/UTV and truck camper gun

Hatchdog, being new to the area I was surprised at the trash-I just don't get it pick up your c***. My list of "don't get" is getting longer!! To be fair it is everywhere- fundamental lack of consideration; in my opinion.

As for pictures I am compelled to admit I have not mastered the skill of pictures to a public forum, 6 years past corp life creates a near luddite existence. I felt guilty as I knew someone would note the absence.

Thanks to all for the comments. I am starting to have this forum as a daily stop.
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks for the range report. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Great report. We do like pictures however we still like reports without them.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Go to full editor & preview, click attachments and click add files...post away. If I can figure it out anybody can...thanks for the report!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully