Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A few pics of the new Farm

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A few pics of the new Farm

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Just a few pics of the new farm in OK. We are settling in and I finally took some time. Not done, by a long shot. Anyone who has moved, knows, it takes a month or more to get all settled. A month down the road you'll open a closet and find a box. "Oh, that's where that went!" ;)

One of the first things I did, was to add a larger mailbox, and paint it bright red. The Marine Corps Colors are Scarlet and Gold, and I usually add a Marine Corps Emblem to each side. Imagine my chagrin when I checked my decal box and found I was out. The new Ranger needs a couple as well.

01 new mailbox.jpg
01 new mailbox.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

Next on the list was to fix the flagpole. The old owners left the National Ensign flying, but something just wasn't right, it looked lonely. Oh, yeah, I know what it was.

03 the flags.jpg
03 the flags.jpg (122.34 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

Here is a look down the front of the property line. The house sits on a single acre, adjacent to the additional twenty acres. As you can see by the fence line, there are two entry gates, necessary because the creek divides the twenty acres up the middle. :) The creek runs up to the pond, takes a right and runs across the road near the barn, then behind the coop area and into the woods. Nice, the cows and goats will have a place to cool off.
05 down the front fence line.jpg
05 down the front fence line.jpg (220.17 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
The two gates are both on the property and then the property runs another thirty or forty yards past the far gate. The frontage is the short leg, and the property is deep. Twenty acres is a good sized lot. Half is in hay, the rest is mixed wooded and open, but rough grazing grass, and the pond.

A look inside shows that I was busy first, setting up the office. I always have the computer desk and the cleaning / armorer's bench in the office. Then Miss Tina tells me that is ONE of my two rooms. I cover the walls with my memories of two careers and the people I have met. in addition, there are the "I love me" things and a few things from my Dad and Stepfather's careers. Since I don't let just anyone wander in and out of there, I don't feel it's bragging... it's so I can look back

07 cleaning bench.jpg
07 cleaning bench.jpg (172.03 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
08 computer desk.jpg
08 computer desk.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

My next task is to set up the second room I have all my own in the house, and that is my gun room. It holds my reloading press and the ammo and reloading supplies. It usually takes a while to set up as it also ends up holding the alarm panels and other "secure" items.

12 gun room bench.jpg
12 gun room bench.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

I was going to build a new woodshop, but decided not to drop the money on one since I wasn't sure how long I would be able to continue to work on large scale projects like cabinets and cradles. There was already a workshop on the property, but it was elventy-hundred degrees in that metal building.

14 shop building.jpg
14 shop building.jpg (161.32 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

I called and found out who the old owner had used to spray foam insulate his new house and had him come out and foam the woodworking side of the shop building and the garage. He did a great job and the temps dropped twenty five degrees right away. I am hoping to add a mini split to the woodshop side of the shop building. The other side we'll use for the kayaks and mower and garden tools etc.
15 wood shop side.jpg
15 wood shop side.jpg (182.81 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
16 storage side.jpg
16 storage side.jpg (192.91 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

A really nice feature of the house is the back porch. NIce place to relax in the evening, and to have a cookout. There is a deepwell sink and power out back and nice overhang on the roof.
The house came with a pool, but we are having it removed. Tina's She Shed where she will do her sewing, quilting and soap making will go in that spot. The above ground pool was too hard for me to get in and out of and a maintenance headache we didn't need.
17 back porch.jpg
17 back porch.jpg (180.53 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

As with every new house (new used houses too) it's a work in progress. We have to make it ours.
I'll try to share a bit as we make progress. We know we will love it out here. For one thing, all our neighbors, are hay fields, hay fields make very quiet neighbors. If you look across this 59 acre neighbor, you can see the roof of both the workshop and the house.

view across the neighbors hay field comp.jpg
view across the neighbors hay field comp.jpg (200.48 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

For another, I took the new ranger for a spin around the block to rinse the mud off the tires, since it had just rained. It's legal here. Miss Fiona rode along. She loves the AC in the new Ranger North Star 1000.

Ranger on the road comp.jpg
Ranger on the road comp.jpg (257.38 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg
fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg (107.85 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

Yup, it's country, but we love it.
11 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: A few pics of the new Farm

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Well on the way to Home Sweet Home. Congrats and enjoy. LOOKS GREAT.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm

nicely done ..... nicely done indeed .... looking forward to following your further developments
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Looks good Marine.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Good for you, Marine. I agree with RR. It looks (and sounds) great! Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Beautiful home place and grounds. Your roots should take hold pretty quickly there. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Well, Marine, I'm envious to say the least. Nice place you have. You mentioned you were out of decals, I could send you an Army decal if you like. It would look really nice on that Ranger. ;)
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Looks great Jim. Make it your own...😎 and I know you will!!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 am

Grunt67 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm
Well, Marine, I'm envious to say the least. Nice place you have. You mentioned you were out of decals, I could send you an Army decal if you like. It would look really nice on that Ranger. ;)
Actually, I could put one from each branch on the stuff around here, we've got them all covered.
Five generations of military, on both mine and Miss Tina's sides of the families.

Marines? Myself and my Stepdad, a stepbrother, a couple nephews.
Army? Two uncles, couple cousins, nephews.
Air Force? Daughter and Her Hubby
Navy? Dad, Mom, Father in law, Brother in law, nephews.
Coast Guard? Great Grand Father, Grandfather, Son.

But... I just stick with the decals for the Corps.... ;)

Less crowded that way. 8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 am

Yessir! I do believe you've got'em all covered. Proud of you Brother, Marine or not.
Now for those of you that don't know, us old Army & Marine guys yank each others chain at ever opportunity, all in good natured
fun. Truth is I'd take a bullet for him & he'd do the same for me. When the crap hits the fan, that's just the way it is. :D
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )