Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry owner, CA

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
kittyboom
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Henry owner, CA

Post by kittyboom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:39 pm

First time Henry owner here in California, I am patiently waiting out my 10 days to pick up a new H010 Steel Wildlife 45-70. I had been interested in getting a lever gun for some time and admittedly have a penchant for shooting big bore firearms. My LGS, being sneaky and wanting to steer me away from the Marlin I was talking about, found this beautiful piece of functional art available and I splurged.

I have a bad habit of trying to improve what I purchase so I've already picked out a Skinner Express sight and scope mount and accompanying 1-4x Skinner Optics scope to mount. I'm a fan of open sights but I am trying to make plans for a guided pig hunt at some point in my future, I've never hunted but have been shooting for decades. It seems around the Central California hills longer shots are common so I am willing to mount the optic, specifically for that use.

Now I have to sort out what ammunition will be best since California require lead-free. If anyone has practical suggestions for 100-200 yard shots at pigs with lead free I'd welcome hearing them. So far I've found 5 different loads and I might be leaning towards the lighter bullets for this particular situation. I'm thinking flatter trajectory and less deviation out to 200 yards for all the help I can get since I rarely have shot past 100 yards.

Underwood Xtreme Hunter Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 225 Grain Xtreme Defense
Muzzle Velocity: 2735 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3737 ft lbs
45-70 Government 250 gr MonoFlex LEVERevolution
Muzzle Velocity: 2025 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2276 ft lbs
Barnes VOR-TX 300gr TSX Hollow Point Lead-Free
Muzzle Velocity: 2469 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1925 ft lbs
BUFFALO-BARNES 45-70 MAG +P LEAD FREE 300 gr. TSX-FN
Muzzle Velocity: 2400 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3836 ft lbs
BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE 45-70 MAG. +P 350 gr. BARNES TSX-FN
Muzzle Velocity: 2200 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3760 ft lbs
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Henry owner, CA

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Have you been shooting at poor, defenseless mountain lions? Cool. Welcome from Nebraska! Glad you joined us.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

kittyboom
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kittyboom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:06 pm

No, lol, though they do prowl around where I live. The name is just an inside joke with my SO. Thanks for the welcome!
Have you been shooting at poor, defenseless mountain lions? Cool. Welcome from Nebraska! Glad you joined us.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Congratulations on your soon to be new Henry. Your LGS done ya good and you made a greatchoice when you bought the Skinner Express. Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new Henry. I'd go with the Underwood for ammo. I've been using Underwood ammo for about 10 years and have chrono'd various calibers in my rifles and compared with more common ammo such as Federal, Hornady, etc. Underwood always proves more consistent (low Std Dev.) in MV by quite a lot. To me, that means more than the advertised MV, because it means tighter groups at longer ranges. I can count on the bullet going where I want it to go, subject to the vagaries of mother nature. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

kittyboom
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kittyboom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome CT_Shooter and GunnyGene.

I'm glad to hear some data based positive feedback on the Underwood ammo, that was what I was really leaning towards just based on published numbers. Practical experience data is even more valuable. The more consistent the ammo is the more I can only blame myself for shot placement :D
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:29 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... given a clear shot, I'd have no problem taking shots out to 200 yards while hunting hogs with our 45-70 .... naturally, the closer the better .... for our hunting we use jacketed bullets that contain lead .... in considering the possibility of one day hunting in an area that prohibits lead, the best solid bullets I've found are 400 gr Barnes Buster FN FB ===> https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/buster/ .... they fly straight in hit hard

be sure to follow this link ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 84#p139084 .... there you can add your Henry to our community's total
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:33 pm

kittyboom wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 pm
Thanks for the welcome CT_Shooter and GunnyGene.

I'm glad to hear some data based positive feedback on the Underwood ammo, that was what I was really leaning towards just based on published numbers. Practical experience data is even more valuable. The more consistent the ammo is the more I can only blame myself for shot placement :D
Here's what I got comparing Hornady 190grn LeveRevolution against Underwood 210 XTP in the .41mag BBSC I bought in 2018. Sorry, don't have the numbers for anything prior to that.

Hornady

Underwood

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:35 pm

Welcome from Alberta.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Welcome from Ca! Nice choice of a rifle. Think you'll like it here.
0 x