Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new garden

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: new garden

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am

After you get your planting done, consider rabbit fence.
Looks like it will be a nice garden. Just make sure you benefit from it more than the critters Ernie.
BTW, our Co-op is open because they sell some groceries.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:52 pm

First no rain/warm day in a couple weeks so I and my sister racked the sod out of the new garden, added some enriched soil, composted manure and tilled it in. Supposed to rain for the next 4 days so I will get some tomato plants, onion sets, and seed potatoes around Thursday to start planting next week end. Gardening centers opened yesterday so I will give them a little time to slow down some before I attempt to buy.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:20 pm

You're going to have fun with your garden, Ernie. Just a heads up on the tomatos; they can go in the ground as soon as the last frost has passed, but they won't do very well. You should wait on planting them until the ground warms up.
giant veggie gardener wrote:Tomatoes should be planted when the soil temperature reaches a minimum of 60°F in the daytime. If you plant too early in cold soil, tomato (and pepper) seedlings sulk and will not be happy. Root development is very slow and the roots have difficulty absorbing nutrients. The plants could show phosphorus deficiency which shows up as stunted plants with purple leaves on the underside.
https://giantveggiegardener.com/2013/05 ... -tomatoes/
Ernie wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:52 pm
First no rain/warm day in a couple weeks so I and my sister racked the sod out of the new garden, added some enriched soil, composted manure and tilled it in. Supposed to rain for the next 4 days so I will get some tomato plants, onion sets, and seed potatoes around Thursday to start planting next week end. Gardening centers opened yesterday so I will give them a little time to slow down some before I attempt to buy.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks CT, heard this today at work too. Going to ask questions at the garden center as well. I will wait on the tomatoes.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat May 16, 2020 7:28 am

We finally had what I hope is the last frost and will be planting today. This is a perfect time to show off my ignorance. Have some tomato, pepper, melon plants and onion sets. The seed potatoes were sold out but I have plenty of seeds for other things. Have the posts in and building a gate, then hanging the fencing soon. I seem to be good at the mechanics of getting the garden ready however we shall see if I have any talent for actually growing food.
Everyone around here is out of seed potatoes, word is they all sold out this week. I will check on line.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm

IMG_0777.jpeg
IMG_0777.jpeg (508.92 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Got the garden in except for potatoes. Seed potatoes sold out in a week and had to order some online. Now have chicken wire installed and building a gate tomorrow.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Lookn' good Ernie!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 am

Tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, hot peppers, cantaloup, beans, peas, carrots, onions, scallions, and radishes ( oh and zucchini of course :( ). Going to plant potatoes when they arrive next week in some garden bags I read about. Tilled in 25 bags of composted manure and my sister is predicting the garden will take over the world in about 3 weeks. :lol: :roll:
I bought a book on composting in case I wish to continue this next year. Thinking about strawberries and blueberries on the out lot.
Local farmer is selling off 75 hogs and I am trying to buy 2 to process for our family. Suggested my sister buy another 20 for her back yard but she did not find that appealing nor amusing.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:24 am

Are you going to keep the hogs for awhile or have them butchered right away? Years ago I let some FFA kids raise some pigs on my property and while my neighbor and I got a free hog out of the deal I will never have pigs on my property again, the last year the kid had about a dozen and you would not believe how many flies a dozen pigs will attract. Left my car window down one night and I'm not exaggerating, there must have been a thousand flies in it the next morning.

I have a good friend staying in her 5th wheel in my backyard and she's a big gardener. We built a raised bed for strawberries a couple of weeks ago and can't wait for them to start producing, the strawberries you get in the stores can't compare to home grown.

She's planted some annuals to fill in but other than the maple and the rosebush it will be all strawberries.

Here's her garden (she's been busy but did a lot of weeding today, the only weeding I do is with my weed-eater or Roundup/2-4D), her Chicken Condo and goats in the background where the greenhouse will go when we can get a backhoe to level a spot for it.

3 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat May 23, 2020 1:24 pm

Your friend has more ambition than I do, nice garden. Thinking about a greenhouse next spring.
The hogs will be delivered to the processor by the farmer so I do not have the pleasure of their company or their friends.
He has sold off about 120 so far because of the current situation. I am trying to do business with the locals as much as possible.
0 x