Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Country Smokers Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Country Smokers Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Does a hopper full of pellets last long enough to do more than one meal Jim.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Jim
How many times did you fill the hopper on this grill to grill those burgers
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm

filled it about half full to start with and ended up dipping some out when the grilling was over .... I've been pleasantly surprised at how long pellets last
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Can you leave the pellets in the hopper and transport it to next location
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 pm

that depends .... pellets exposed to moisture revert back to fine, sticky, sawdust that can gunk up the works .... I suspect that is one reason the compartment where you pour the pellets is pretty well protected from rain ... what seems to work for me is to turn the grill off after I'm finished cooking .... use a large spoon and scoop out most of the unburned pellets .... fire the grill back up and set it on high .... the pellets I can't easily get with the spoon are quickly used up burning the grill off
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:58 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm
Can you leave the pellets in the hopper and transport it to next location
after giving it a bit more thought .... I went back and looked through the manual, didn't see it discussed .... did see that they recommend against leaving pellets in the hopper if it will be a "long period" before the next use (they didn't define long period) .... trying to transport the grill with pellets may not be a good idea .... as can be seen in the picture below, when the grill is buttoned up, the handle is on the front .... that results in it being carried like a suitcase .... in that position, I can see pellets pouring out of the storage area and into the burn chamber .... from there they could easily spill out of the burn chamber into most any area of the interior of the grill .... as mentioned in a post above, a small vacuum or air hose makes quick work of cleaning out pellets and ashes
Attachments
3.png
3.png (159.99 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 pm

I have the small vacuum so no problem there. Just curious as to what to expect. Im thinking I might also buy one for the 5th wheel. I like the wood pellet grills better than the gas.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 am

we have a few friends and relatives who have pellet grills .... they all seem to like them .... we've used Smoke Daddy products and pellets for well over 10 years ===> https://smokedaddyinc.com/product-categ ... d-pellets/ .... we learned long ago that all bags of Hickory Pellets aren't equal .... many companies throw in all sorts of filler material .... I buy them in 20 lb bags (they offer free shipping) and transfer the pellets to 5 gallon buckets .... they keep for many years .... from the bucket I transfer the ones we take with us traveling to Folgers (plastic coffee cans) .... I must admit that I had some second thoughts going into the purchase .... happily, with use, my misgivings are rapidly going away .... right now my biggest uncertainty is will I return it to the camper's basement after each use or will I put the cover over it and leave it out .... right now its sitting on a picnic table on our deck with its cover on .... naturally, when you want it to rain, there is none in the forecast .. :roll: .. I want to know for sure if the cover is water repellent or waterproof .... at 40 lbs I prefer to not move it more than I have to .... that said, it is much to setup and take down than our propane grill
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 am

I see the concern if you were to move it with the handle while full of pellets. I would not do it that way and just pick it up from the ends and move it back into the storage are of the 5th wheel to keep it out of the weather. I have wood pellet grill here at home I leave pellets in all the time and have not ever had issues with wet pellets. I use the camp chef pellets from Sportsmans Warehouse. They have always been good for me.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:17 pm

as a person who uses a pellet grill, do you have any tips or suggestions you'd care to share
0 x