Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cedar Planks

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Cedar Planks

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 pm

does anyone have any experience using cedar planks in grilling food .... how does it work ? .... what type of foods ? .... anything special to look for in buying ? .... any other info you'd care to offer
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Cedar Planks

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Jim Dolly and I have done it with Salmon. Soak the plank in water and grill away. Been while back they came out good. We just bought some planks at the local grocery store.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 pm

info appreciated .... I've been reading about it and the more I read the less I seem to understand .... some speak of soaking the boards in various liquids .... salmon is often mentioned .... it appears the boards are for a single use only .... :?:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:41 pm

I believe thats the case. You might be able to find out some info at Great Alaska Seafood.com. We order from them frequently. They have quite a variety of stuff. Not the typical seafood you find in the stores. Its more money yes but they have good quality seafood. They also have some recipes up there
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 pm

link appreciated .... will most certainly check it out
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:29 pm

They used to say on how to cook a Mudfish (Bowfin) nail it to a board , put it in the fire and when done eat the board
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 am

Soak the plank in water for an hour or so. Put it on the grill after you shake off the excess water then lay your fish or whatever on the plank and as it warms and chars it imparts a flavor to the fish. You can buy culinary cedar planks from any gourmet store (or inline) if you wish. A place I used to work at used simple cedar shake shingles from Home Depot that are MUCH cheaper than food grade. But you have to make sure you get the non-treated kind!!
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

Avoid using planks that have knots in them. There are several varieties of cedar that can be used, Western White and Red, Eastern Red (aromatic). The aromatic cedars will add a unique and stronger flavor than the others.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 am

ChefDuane wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 am
Soak the plank in water for an hour or so. Put it on the grill after you shake off the excess water then lay your fish or whatever on the plank and as it warms and chars it imparts a flavor to the fish. You can buy culinary cedar planks from any gourmet store (or inline) if you wish. A place I used to work at used simple cedar shake shingles from Home Depot that are MUCH cheaper than food grade. But you have to make sure you get the non-treated kind!!
most helpful info appreciated .... do you find that the flavor added by using the cedar plank appeals to a majority of your customers :?:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am
Avoid using planks that have knots in them. There are several varieties of cedar that can be used, Western White and Red, Eastern Red (aromatic). The aromatic cedars will add a unique and stronger flavor than the others.
thanks for the caution and assessment .... its the "unique and stronger flavor" that concerns me
0 x