Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Think about getting a pistol for fun.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Think about getting a pistol for fun.

Post by PT7 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am

Cool 8-) reason to get a pistol -- just for fun.

Lots of good suggestions already given, Ojai. Both of my handguns listed below are pure fun to shoot. So I'll only talk about those here. First, I agree with NCG's comments about shooting .45LC. I have some arthritis in my hands, but I'd shoot .45LC without hesitation over a .357 caliber. The Cowboy action loads do stand alone in ease of recoil. You mentioned the Russian. Although a S/A revolver, the top break design is extra easy to load. Break the barrel open and all spent cartridges eject at the same time. Reloading the cylinder is a snap---takes only a few seconds to load the five or six rounds (choice). For my elder eyes, the fixed barrel sights are the best sights I've ever had on a revolver.

The preceding comments about cleaning a black powder pistol are also spot on. I find that cleaning my Trapper after a range visit is quicker and easier than cleaning my Russian. One qualification here. I'm not shooting a BP S/A revolver with six rounds. Mine is a single shot cap & ball percussion pistol. I think it might be easier yet to clean with only the single barrel, and not a barrel plus six cylinder chambers. Of course, the lock on mine needs cleaning attention, too, but that is an easy clean. And because it's a single shot, a person doesn't use as much ammo (I shoot only .50 cal round balls) at each range time. I buy a higher priced round ball, Hornady, because I like the product. Even then the cost per round ball is 20 cents including tax. That's a plus for me. The BP fun experience is still there and is a blast.

I've got my "handguns for fun." I know you'll enjoy the hunt for yours :!:
PT7
3 x

~Пока~

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:42 am

Another vote for the 45 since we are making suggestions also.
I have a pair of Rugers, one is the convertible with an acp cylinder and the other a Vaquero, both with the 4 /58's barrels.
I like the one RR pictured also.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am

10-4 .... I've never owned one but have seen and fired 327's and found them to be fun to fire .... I have no experience with a 32-20, looking forward to following your search
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 am

RR do you ever experience any cylinder restriction issues with the wedge when reassembling after cleaning? Does the arbor on that model bottom out when the barrel is placed back on the frame? I think Id go along with the 45 Colt selection also Tim. Keep in mind though a Ruger Single action in 45 Colt is a great gun but if shooting cast bullets I would take a cast bullet with you when you are looking at one to check out the cylinder throats. Rugers Cylinder throats tend to be to tight and it does effect accuracy. Just FYI. If you need a 45 cast bullet or to do so that let me know be glad to send you one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm

I have not had any issues, but I can see how it might happen.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:42 pm

BP revolvers are fun as well but do carry the additional needs of a thorough cleaning after each use but they are easy to disassemble and everything can be done in the sink.

I can have my 1851 Navy disassembled and all parts cleaned in less than an hour not including reassembly which usually takes place the next day after ensuring all parts are dry. In the winter this is facilitated by laying them in a pan on the woodstove to dry. IF I were to do this again I would have never got a brass framed model as it occasionally needs a polish with some Nevr-Dull but that is no big deal.

I made the mistake once however of leaving the barrel too long in the hot, soapy water (forgot most likely) and when I returned to it a lot of the bluing had came off! I was POd to say the least but this was an $85.00 gun with $85.00 quality bluing.

Mine is an older CVA made by Armi San Marcos probably in the 70s when the quality of the Italian made guns was not so good.

Oh, they have great 'curb appeal' with nice fitting and machine work but the internals are terrible and I had to eventually make a new trigger due to the original breaking at the pivot hole due to being very soft. I hand made a new trigger out of modern, tool steel and while I was at it gave it a better shape to be nearer the rear of the trigger guard for and wider as well for ease of shooting. I also had to make a new trigger spring as the original broke as well. I made the new one out of a piece of pallet banding strap and it has been working excellently for many years.

I suspect (hope) the newer models of Italian made repros are made with better materials but I have no experience with them and maybe someone with experience can chime in on this.

You can clearly see where the bluing flaked off and I think I am going to remove the remaining bluing polish it up and try giving it a new bluing job. Cold blue can come out pretty nice actually IF the parts are heated up pretty hot before applying and this will be easy with the small size of the barrel.
IMG_1868.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18 pm

I have heard of shooters using a dishwasher to clean BP pistols like the Ruger Old Army. Not sure how true this is and it's definitely not a traditional way pf cleaning a BP pistol, but I can see how it might work, assuming you do some disassembly of basic parts. Of course, I'm not crazy about the idea of anyone cleaning a smelly BP gun in MY dishwasher, so you guys better check with the woman of the house before you try it. :D
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

I have heard of shooters using a dishwasher to clean BP pistols like the Ruger Old Army.
I might consider this with a SS model but never with a blued one.

While Ruger bluing is no doubt superior to Italian bluing I still would not chance it.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:23 pm

Another thought Tim if you want a simple BP gun just get a single shot. Pedersoil Lyman and Traditions all make them in various calibers.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:20 pm

.45 Colt SA revolver should be in everyone's collection of fun guns. Or if you have a pistol caliber rifle get a revolver to match it!

This stuff is a disease that spreads once it get's going!! Now that I have the nice .357 Big Boy I don't have a SA revolver to match it and that
Cimarron Evil Roy in .357 is a very slick looking and functioning piece!!
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... +mag+55%22
2 x