Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

10mm

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

10mm

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Anyone have a 10mm handgun that they are especially fond of? I am thinking of a 10mm for my 2020 firearm purchase, (I limit myself to one firearm a year) I am leaning toward a Glock, I like that it has a 15 round mag, and that it has a rail for a flashlight. Heading out west next fall and I thought with a good chest rig it would be a good bear deterrent. I have a .454 Ruger Redhawk Alaskan, which I can shoot fairly well, and it would do the job. But, follow up shots in a tight situation are pretty tough with the stout recoil, and I don't really want to duct tape a flashlight to it. Let me know what you all think... Or should I just get a can of bear spray? :lol: Might be cheaper, but not as much fun at the range!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: 10mm

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:48 pm

As to the bear issue, that's very much a matter of opinion, so I'll just say I know several shooters up here who pack a Glock 10mm as their bear gun. Hard to argue with that kind of firepower.

I can vouch for a 10mm in a 1911 as a great shooting platform, though. Had a Kimber that was an outstanding shooter. Recoil was not an issue for me and I don't think it would be for any 1911 shooter with a lot range time with the 45 auto. Way less recoil than any 454, regardless of the gun. Also love the way the 10mm has a flatter trajectory than the 45 auto, especially for distance work. Wish I had kept that Kimber ... should not have let that one get away. I do plan on another 1911 in 10mm, though, and soon.
2 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:56 pm

I purchased a Rock Island Arms 1911 in 10mm last year, and I love it.
It does not have a rail, but some versions do.
Of course, being a 1911 your confined to 7-8 rounds, but I can't stand Glocks, so...

Now, that .454Casull is in the right wheel (gun) house.
I have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull and it wears an 8-3/8" ported barrel.
That thing is a beast, but it will also take down a beast.

I would never try to talk someone out of a handgun, but I will say the .454 should suffice, although more is always better.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 pm

I too carry a 10mm for woods use. I used to carry an S&W M/629 44 mag but when the wolf packs started spreading out eight years or so ago I bought the 10mm. I didn’t like being limited to six shots should I encounter a wolf pack. (Not very likely I know but hey, any excuse to buy a new gun, right?)

This is a Smith & Wesson 3rd generation M/1006 semi-auto that is no longer in production. It’s solid, heavy and such a beast that recoil is very minimal. I carry it in a Bianchi horizontal shoulder holster with two spare mags on the opposite side. Mag capacity is 9 so that’s 28 total with one in the chamber. I like this pistol as it has a manual de cocker and is DA/SA. Of course I can manually cock the hammer and have my first shot be SA should I choose. The only drawback is the safety, it swipes up to disengage not down like a 1911.

I carry a 180 gr hardcast load with a large metplate bullet. It’s my understanding that this type of bullet will have deep penetration and cause lots of organ and bone damage. Velocity of this load is 1200 FPS.

I call it my bear, cougar, wolf, scumbag gun. I’m probably more likely to have to use it for the fourth choice than any other. :o

FA566E82-2577-46E2-ADAA-00531AD060FE.jpeg
5E7E6D16-A1F0-4DA1-AB07-63E0D5ADB9AD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 pm
I too carry a 10mm for woods use. I used to carry an S&W M/629 44 mag but when the wolf packs started spreading out eight years or so ago I bought the 10mm. I didn’t like being limited to six shots should I encounter a wolf pack. (Not very likely I know but hey, any excuse to buy a new gun, right?)

This is a Smith & Wesson 3rd generation M/1006 semi-auto that is no longer in production. It’s solid, heavy and such a beast that recoil is very minimal. I carry it in a Bianchi horizontal shoulder holster with two spare mags on the opposite side. Mag capacity is 9 so that’s 28 total with one in the chamber. I like this pistol as it has a manual de cocker and is DA/SA. Of course I can manually cock the hammer and have my first shot be SA should I choose. The only drawback is the safety, it swipes up to disengage not down like a 1911.

I carry a 180 gr hardcast load with a large metplate bullet. It’s my understanding that this type of bullet will have deep penetration and cause lots of organ and bone damage. Velocity of this load is 1200 FPS.

I call it my bear, cougar, wolf, scumbag gun. I’m probably more likely to have to use it for the fourth choice than any other. :o

FA566E82-2577-46E2-ADAA-00531AD060FE.jpeg

5E7E6D16-A1F0-4DA1-AB07-63E0D5ADB9AD.jpeg
That is a beautiful firearm! We have quite a growing wolf population here too. About three-four years ago my son was attacked by one, grabbed onto the back of his head and wouldn't let go. He was the first and only (as far as I know) documented person in Minnesota to be attacked by a Timberwolf. He fought it off and kicked at it until it fled. As soon as he was able to get his CCL, he did and he always carries! (Sometimes he carries his Desert eagle .50 :D ) Better to be armed than to kick your shoe at it! (He never recovered that shoe) But the DNR did trap the wolf and verified that it was the one.
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:35 pm

I like this thread. I have been looking at and considering a 10mm for my first handgun. I think I am going to do it this year.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Pudsky wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:35 pm
I like this thread. I have been looking at and considering a 10mm for my first handgun. I think I am going to do it this year.
Well... Welcome to the thread! hopefully we get some more folks weighing in. When you do end up 'pulling the trigger' on your first handgun make sure and post a picture, and give us your impressions and a range report!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Im like MgDerf. I have a Rock Island 1911 10mm and I really like it. Bought a El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster to carry it. I havent shot it to much but when I do it speaks loudly. Had a Glock in the 10mm but not only do I not like Glocks the grip on there 10 mm is made for monster hands. I have a big hand but not that big. If you havent put one in your hand you might want to give it a try.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:40 am

I will echo BigAl52. I have the RIA 1911 and it's a great pistol. The RIA's are also priced quite reasonably, and some models have the rail you want. In addition to that, I have a S&W 1076 and that thing was built to last forever! The S&W 1000 models are big & burly, and the stainless models are pretty much impervious to the elements, but you'll have to find one on the used market and it won't have a rail.

Howard
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Wed May 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Greyhawk wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Anyone have a 10mm handgun that they are especially fond of? I am thinking of a 10mm for my 2020 firearm purchase, (I limit myself to one firearm a year) I am leaning toward a Glock, I like that it has a 15 round mag, and that it has a rail for a flashlight. Heading out west next fall and I thought with a good chest rig it would be a good bear deterrent. I have a .454 Ruger Redhawk Alaskan, which I can shoot fairly well, and it would do the job. But, follow up shots in a tight situation are pretty tough with the stout recoil, and I don't really want to duct tape a flashlight to it. Let me know what you all think... Or should I just get a can of bear spray? :lol: Might be cheaper, but not as much fun at the range!
Did you ever decide on getting a 10mm? I have been doing some research the last couple weeks, and I think I am going to get a 1911 10mm long slide. I am deciding between three different guns: Kimber stainless target long slide, Remington 1911 R1 Hunter, or a Springfield 1911 TRP Operator. I like the 6" barrel, a tad faster bullet speed, and a tad more accurate because of sight radius. If anyone has an input on these guns, please speak up. Hopefully in the next month or so I am going to purchase.
0 x