Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

thinking of getting my college graduate, a personalized rifle?

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
mach2race
Tenderfoot
United States of America

thinking of getting my college graduate, a personalized rifle?

Post by mach2race » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi folks, my name is Tony. I am new to the forum. I am a gun enthusiast, but have never owned a Henry gun. My son is a few months away from graduating Georgia Tech, as an aeronautical engineer. I was thinking about getting him a personalized engraved gun, to mark this accomplishment in his life. I think the personalized guns are 22's, available in both gold and silver.
I have heard the gold(brass) is difficult to keep clean, especially if he fires it, every now and then. Is the silver easier to keep clean?
Do you guys / gals think this is a fitting gift, for my son graduating college? I would like to do something really special for him.
Thanks,
TB
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: thinking of getting my college graduate, a personalized rifle?

Post by If1Hitu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Welcome to this forum.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tony. I think it is a very fitting gift idea if your son enjoys the shooting sports; this rifle certainly would become a keepsake.
I've not owned either of the finishes you noted, but I'm certain you will have good recommendations forthcoming.
0 x
Jeff

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:48 am

mach2race wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm
Hi folks, my name is Tony. I am new to the forum. I am a gun enthusiast, but have never owned a Henry gun. My son is a few months away from graduating Georgia Tech, as an aeronautical engineer. I was thinking about getting him a personalized engraved gun, to mark this accomplishment in his life. I think the personalized guns are 22's, available in both gold and silver.
I have heard the gold(brass) is difficult to keep clean, especially if he fires it, every now and then. Is the silver easier to keep clean?
Do you guys / gals think this is a fitting gift, for my son graduating college? I would like to do something really special for him.
Thanks,
TB
There's a product that will protect the brass and other external metal and wood. Renaissance wax. Great stuff. I've used it for years on firearms and woodshop tools. It was invented for use by museums and is used extensively around the world to protect their collections. https://www.renaissancewaxes.com/

Congrats to you and your son. That's a tough degree to earn. He's probably already got several job offers. :)

ETA: Henry small bores use a Receiver Cover, unlike other makers. So you have to have a Golden Boy or Silver in hand and order the personalized cover separately from Henry to replace the existing OEM cover. See this: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/persona ... olden-boy/

You could, of course, buy a large bore rifle and have it engraved by a 3rd party, if $$ is not an issue.
Last edited by GunnyGene on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:54 am

Hello & Welcome, from W TN.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. If he's a shooting enthusiast, your son will love his new personalized Henry and should have no trouble keeping the brasslite receiver shining (the 22s are not actually brass). Please let us know how it all turns out.
mach2race wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm
Thanks,
TB
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 am

Great idea if he loves to shoot. Congrats to him and welcome to the forum.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join our community .... as an FYI, in addition to engraving Henry does offer a rather unique feature in personalizing rifles .... I wanted to personalize a Henry BBS 357 as a gift to our oldest grandson .... his name is Jacob .... Henry was willing to designate JACOB2016 as the rifle's official federal serial number .... accordingly they stamped it on the rifle
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 am

Welcome to the forum. Congrats as well.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856